Thread: Compounds, carbons and COLD temps?

Default Compounds, carbons and COLD temps?

Wanting to head out this weekend to chase caribou on the frozen tundra. Wondering if there's any problems with shooting carbon arrows from a compound in extremely cold temperatures. I don't want to blow up my limbs, and I certainly don't want to put a carbon arrow shaft through my hand. Your thoughts?

My setup: 2005 Hoyt Powertech (cast aluminum riser) set at 68 lbs. shooting Easton Axis FMJ's.

I have shot my bows and carbon arrows down to a low of -30F with only one issue. At those temps the stick-on Limbsaver deals will fly off.

Some insert glue has a tendency to fail at cold temps...

Have never really had a problem except drawing heavy bows with tired muscles and lots of clothes. Seems below 0 mine is a tad slower though.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

I just had some nock problems at 15 below with my carbon express arrows. The plastic shrunk and they either flew off the arrow, or did not want to pinch onto the string. I had a couple issues with these nocks this summer as well where they wouldn't stay on the string, so I'm thinking I might have a bad batch. Other than that, I haven't had any major issues with cold weather, and I've taken bou down to 30 below. My buddy did have his string roll off his upper cam one year on a goat hunt due to a little ice build up. I would suggest bringing one of those twist type portable bow presses along just in case something like that happens. He had it and it would have saved his butt on that trip if we ever got close enough to shoot anything.

On a recent hunt up north, the temps were in the -10 to -30 range. The bow was stiff and definitely shooting high by a few inches at 10 yards to almost a foot at 25 yards. Same for a buddy of mine who happened to be up there at the same time. He also had 2 carbon arrows snap just in front of the fletching. I also ended up with an iced up whisker biscuit. This could have been easily prevented so keep an eye out for that, if you use one. Good luck!