Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 43

Thread: New Savage 'Big Bore Hunters'

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Kodiak, AK
    Posts
    640

    Default New Savage 'Big Bore Hunters'

    Don't know if many of you have seen the Savage 2012 Sneak peak, but a couple of interesting guns for AK Brush work.
    The Hog Hunter and the Alaskan Brush Hunter. Not sure on all the specs, but what I do know is both are offered in 338WM and at least the AK Brush is in 375 Ruger. Both are stainless/synthetic and the 'Hog' has a 20" threaded barrel and 'AK Brush Hunter' has 18" non-threaded barrel. No info on weights etc. Prices should be around $500 for the Hog and $650 for the AK Brush.
    Look like a couple of interesting guns for AK hunting and if anything like Savages recent quality they should be fine shooters.
    I have no affiliation with Savage, just putting a bit of info out there for anyone who is looking.

  2. #2
    Member AKDoug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Talkeetna
    Posts
    5,714

    Default

    Savage also has an ultralight rifle out too. Interesting stuff.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.
    Posts
    8,805

    Default

    Where does one, hafta "sneak" for a "peak" at either of these two models?

    I "sneaked" onto their Website, and wasn't sure which was which.

    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    In an easy chair in Cyberspace
    Posts
    2,316

    Default

    Savage prices keep creeping up but their quality remains the same. I bought a recent model the other day (about 2 years old) that was literally falling apart. Savage price point is approaching Ruger and the Ruger is a better gun. YMMV, I'd rather have a Winny.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Kodiak, AK
    Posts
    640

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    Where does one, hafta "sneak" for a "peak" at either of these two models?

    I "sneaked" onto their Website, and wasn't sure which was which.

    Smitty of the North
    The sneak peak is on their facebook site. That only has pictures. When I asked my local outfitters (savage dealer) they told me what they have on order (caliber, barrel lengths etc).

  6. #6
    Member alaskabliss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    1,419

    Default

    Have you seen the 110 BA .338 Lapua? Now that is a fancy rifle for a pretty reasonable price. I must find a way to convince the wife that I NEED one. I have never paid much attention to Savage until late and it seems they are producing some nice firearms for a good price with great accuracy

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.
    Posts
    8,805

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nbh40 View Post
    The sneak peak is on their facebook site. That only has pictures. When I asked my local outfitters (savage dealer) they told me what they have on order (caliber, barrel lengths etc).
    I found it. Thanks.

    Looks like the barrels are too short.

    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

  8. #8

    Default

    i'd love one in a 375 H&H

  9. #9
    Member AKDoug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Talkeetna
    Posts
    5,714

    Default

    18" in a .375Ruger is just about perfect . Too bad I can't bring myself to consider a Savage as a dangerous game rifle. I really admire their accuracy and love my Savage varmint rifle, but the Accutrigger and cheap stocks don't make me warm and fuzzy about them as a big bear gun.

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    18" in a .375Ruger is just about perfect . Too bad I can't bring myself to consider a Savage as a dangerous game rifle. I really admire their accuracy and love my Savage varmint rifle, but the Accutrigger and cheap stocks don't make me warm and fuzzy about them as a big bear gun.
    Bought one in .375 Ruger & it looks like a good solid little gun. Got it set up with a Bushnell Trophy 1.5-6x42mm (30mm tube) scope (cause I had one kicking around in a drawer from a gun I sold recently) & Warne QD mounts. The Bushnell Trophy scopes are a lot of scope for the money and the optics are crystal clear. Have had real good luck with them on other guns. I don't think the lack of an Accustock matters much on a short barrel brush gun. I won't be shooting prairie dogs at 400 yards with it. Some might discount it as a dangerous game gun cause it doesn't have Controlled Round Feeding. I've shot lots of big toothy game with bolt guns without CRF and can't remember having a jam. Now that CRF is a fad everybody has to have it for hunting any game bigger than a squirrel with a bolt gun. Next year some other fad gizmo will be "indispensable". Gun companies feed the gun magazine writer gurus lots of BS about their amazing new gizmos & dodads and the money from the fad geeks who run out an buy the stuff keeps pouring in. I'll range test the brush hunter soon when my shoulder is up to it.

  11. #11

    Default

    CRF comments interesting...Used a M14, M60, M16, for dangerous game, none w/ CRF.
    Still here.

    Shot a bear with M77, 3006 not CRF, still here.

    Concur.

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    Savage prices keep creeping up but their quality remains the same. I bought a recent model the other day (about 2 years old) that was literally falling apart. Savage price point is approaching Ruger and the Ruger is a better gun. YMMV, I'd rather have a Winny.
    Glad you think so
    That's not what my groups on the target paper are telling me.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    In an easy chair in Cyberspace
    Posts
    2,316

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pricedo View Post
    Glad you think so
    That's not what my groups on the target paper are telling me.
    Check back after a year or two of hard hunting. YMMV

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nbh40 View Post
    Don't know if many of you have seen the Savage 2012 Sneak peak, but a couple of interesting guns for AK Brush work.
    The Hog Hunter and the Alaskan Brush Hunter. Not sure on all the specs, but what I do know is both are offered in 338WM and at least the AK Brush is in 375 Ruger. Both are stainless/synthetic and the 'Hog' has a 20" threaded barrel and 'AK Brush Hunter' has 18" non-threaded barrel. No info on weights etc. Prices should be around $500 for the Hog and $650 for the AK Brush.
    Look like a couple of interesting guns for AK hunting and if anything like Savages recent quality they should be fine shooters.
    I have no affiliation with Savage, just putting a bit of info out there for anyone who is looking.
    The Alaska Brush Hunter is 7.6 pounds.........as light as you want to get with a .375 Ruger unless your real name is David Banner and your skin turns green when you get mad.
    The barrel is free floated in the stock even though the gun doesn't have Accustock.
    No need for Accustock in an 18" barrel carbine.............an extra $100 added on to the price tag to have it would be a waste of money.
    The stock is solid at the bottom of the receiver with no slot or drop down unloading gate in the internal box magazine........that is good as far as I'm concerned because makes it makes the stock more rigid & solid resulting in a more accurate gun.
    For only 3 cartridges it's just as easy to unload the thing from the top and the .375 Ruger cartridges are big and easy to grab onto with the fingers.
    I like the gun and I actually own and have handled one and my opinion is a "hands on" assessment.

  15. #15
    Member highestview's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Haines
    Posts
    1,308

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    Check back after a year or two of hard hunting. YMMV
    What, in your opinion, wears out on Savage? I'm curious because I bought a Stevens and ordered a 416 barrel for it. I'm assuming I'll have to put a new stock on it to fit the magnum barrel.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    In an easy chair in Cyberspace
    Posts
    2,316

    Default

    iirc, bolt parts, triggers, safeties (all model dependent), the finish.....

    Not a lot of folks complain about how they shoot. We get lots of folks complain that they break. YMMV. I wouldnt drop my hard earned money on one

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    214

    Default

    It sure sucks to have people slam other brands that they do not like. Tons of people have enjoyed the Savage brand. I guess it's like the Ford guys against the Chevy guys. Crazy.

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    14C
    Posts
    62

    Default

    Cool guns, I personally max out at the 300win mag but love to see variety.

    I have two savages, one probably 10+ years of hard hunting and one maybe 5 years of hunting. They both are great and almost trouble free. The only problem I ever had was when I took the older one into wild west to try and lighten the trigger to match the accu-trigger of the newer one. They gave it back to me without a working safety! I took it apart and adjusted the set screws myself. They should be careful what they bash, they are not perfect either.

  19. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    iirc, bolt parts, triggers, safeties (all model dependent), the finish.....

    Not a lot of folks complain about how they shoot. We get lots of folks complain that they break. YMMV. I wouldnt drop my hard earned money on one
    Elaborate please.
    What broke on YOUR Savage rifles?
    I have 6 Savage rifles in my gun safes & have fired each & every one of them until I could light a cigarette off the barrel and nothing broke except the very center of the 10-ring on the target paper.
    Please elaborate on what broke on your Savage guns or at the very least the Savage rifles that you fired??

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    welfare state of Alaska
    Posts
    5,153

    Default Hardly a "fad"

    The controled feed rifle - CFR - is hardly a fad and certainly isn't new. The bolt rifle was orginally designed with controlled feed for very good reason: the shooter's life was on the line constantly and a malfunction could very well mean death.

    The CFR bolt rifles endured for over a century with tens of millions made and used - there must be a reason don't you think?

    The newer generation of bolt guns are made with of cost of manufacturing as a major consideration - hence the "FAD" of the abandoning the superior CFR for the latest push feed wonders. The ugly truth of push feed guns like the Savage and Remington is that you can easily jam one inoperative in a few seconds - you just can't do that with a CFR.


    Quote Originally Posted by pricedo View Post
    Bought one in .375 Ruger & it looks like a good solid little gun. Got it set up with a Bushnell Trophy 1.5-6x42mm (30mm tube) scope (cause I had one kicking around in a drawer from a gun I sold recently) & Warne QD mounts. The Bushnell Trophy scopes are a lot of scope for the money and the optics are crystal clear. Have had real good luck with them on other guns. I don't think the lack of an Accustock matters much on a short barrel brush gun. I won't be shooting prairie dogs at 400 yards with it. Some might discount it as a dangerous game gun cause it doesn't have Controlled Round Feeding. I've shot lots of big toothy game with bolt guns without CRF and can't remember having a jam. Now that CRF is a fad everybody has to have it for hunting any game bigger than a squirrel with a bolt gun. Next year some other fad gizmo will be "indispensable". Gun companies feed the gun magazine writer gurus lots of BS about their amazing new gizmos & dodads and the money from the fad geeks who run out an buy the stuff keeps pouring in. I'll range test the brush hunter soon when my shoulder is up to it.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •