Thread: Replacing FMJ bullets with SP bullets

Default Replacing FMJ bullets with SP bullets

I have a full case of Remington 223 55 gr FMJ ammo. FMJ ammo is outlawed by our coyote group because it skips accross the frozen farm fields. My plan was to to pull these FMJ bullets, weigh the powder charge, neck size the cases and then load a 55 gr soft point bullet on top of the same charge of the same powder that I emptied out of the cases.

I made mention of doing this at the gun shop yesterday and got negative responses.

The design of the two bullets is slightly different but the B.C. is virtually the same!

The two guys at the gun shop warned against doing this but could not give me a good reason why?

Your thoughts ?

Gosh, I used to do that with WWII vintage .30-06 FMJ and replace the bullets with 150 gr SP....worked fine and I don't see why it won't work for you if you use the same weight soft point as you repaced on the FMJ. People make mistakes or change their mind on bullets or loads all the time, pull the bullets and replace them with others....that's what they make bullet puller to do...pull bullets.

One thing you might watch is whether there is a crimp on the orginal bullets and make sure neck tension is the same for the new bullets.

I wouldn't hesitate to replace the bullets, as long as the bullets used to replace the originals were cup and core style bullets.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Swapping any reloading component can lead to unsafe pressure, so a wise course would be to work up to the factory load weight for that specific powder charge. I'd guess there is no issue with doing it your way, but I know that you can work into the charge and do it safely.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I did it many long yars ago, for a friend. Actually, I supervised the operation, and several others helped.

If I were to do it again, I'd get a Collett Puller, AND, I would use the SAME powder charge, rather than weigh some charges and assume it would all be the same powder. It might NOT be.

Try some rounds first, before doin all of them.

Like Lowrider says, they may be crimped. That's almost a certainty with Military rounds, and FLs.

Depending on what you shoot them in, you might wanna crimp again, so you'd need a boolit that had a crimping groove in the right place.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Collet puller is a good idea. If you use one you won't dump powder everywhere and you can simply pull put the charged case to the side and when ready seat the new bullets. Did many a 30-06 this way years ago. Good luck and good shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by redale View Post
    Collet puller is a good idea. If you use one you won't dump powder everywhere and you can simply pull put the charged case to the side and when ready seat the new bullets. Did many a 30-06 this way years ago. Good luck and good shooting.
    Yeah, that's what I'm sayin.

You could neck size with the Decapper removed from your die, to remove the crimp and get the neck tension back. Then seat the new bullet, and crimp it.

Someone gave me a TIP, (Probably rbuck.) on pulling the bullet, when it's reely tight. You seat it a tiny bit deeper first, to loosen it, then pull it. Sometimes that is NEEDED.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Great tip Smitty. Lots of military ammo also has sealant which your tip will help break.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    Yeah, that's what I'm sayin.

You could neck size with the Decapper removed from your die, to remove the crimp and get the neck tension back. Then seat the new bullet, and crimp it.

Someone gave me a TIP, (Probably rbuck.) on pulling the bullet, when it's reely tight. You seat it a tiny bit deeper first, to loosen it, then pull it. Sometimes that is NEEDED.

Smitty of the North
    Yes , seating the bullet a bit deeper to break the seal sounds like a very good idear and something that I hadn't considered. I'm going to give that a go.

This FMJ ammo is all new and is all of the same lot number so it should all be loaded with the same powder. So dumping it in a canister after pulling the bullets shouldn't be an issue. Besides neck sizing with the decapping pin removed from the expander die will require that the powder is not in the case when sized as the cases are full to the bottom of the neck with the powder and there is just no roome to run the expander ball into the case.

If these are military ammo, some may have duplex loads using two (or more) types of power in the same case. It is usually used in larger calibers such as 50 cal and 20mm or bigger but you may want to make sure it is all the same powder before you put the powder from all the shells together and reweighing. Probably not an issue but worth mentioning.

Quote Originally Posted by EKC View Post
    Yes , seating the bullet a bit deeper to break the seal sounds like a very good idear and something that I hadn't considered. I'm going to give that a go.

This FMJ ammo is all new and is all of the same lot number so it should all be loaded with the same powder. So dumping it in a canister after pulling the bullets shouldn't be an issue. Besides neck sizing with the decapping pin removed from the expander die will require that the powder is not in the case when sized as the cases are full to the bottom of the neck with the powder and there is just no roome to run the expander ball into the case.
    Hmm, You could pour it out into a cup of some sort, and put it back in, with a funnel.

Seems easier than weighing or measuring the powder again.

Let us know how it works out, however you do it.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

I've Mexican Matched (replacing the existing bullet with another bullet) all kind of FMJ surplus ammo over the years when SP ammo wasn't available or cost an arm and a leg for hard to find calibers. As long as you use same or slightly lesser weight bullets not heavier,profile type and similar bearing surface type bullet you will be fine. My friend James at Ammosmith.com has a video on doing the .223/5.56
    http://youtu.be/c-0Tm0eVPpg

Some of the US National Match shooters used to do the same with National Match ammo replacing the 173 gr. bullet with the Sierra 168 grain MatchKing bullets. Any changes to the cartridge were forbidden by the rules if the ammunition was being fired in the National Trophy or Excellence-In-Competition Matches; but when used in other matches, modifications such as breaking the waterproofing seal or even replacing the bullets were common.

Depending on the type of rifle mainly for feeding purposes usually military style bolt guns and even in modern bolt rifles it was a practice especially in a survival situation where all you had was FMJ ammo to pull the bullet and reverse it. This exposed the open base of the FMJ lead core and creates and expandable bullet,accuracy in some cases is even better.
    http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot50.htm

As 1Cor15:19 said, any change of any component can cause pressure problems. So, to be sure it would be wise to reassemble one with 2grs less powder and the new bullet and another with 1gr less and the new bullet and finally load one with all the powder and the new bullet and shoot those first to check for pressure signs. You probably will be fine, but why take chances? Different bullets have different ogives, harder/softer, thicker/ thinner jacket material, harder/softer core material and so on.

Like SKS50 said, it's been done for years, sometimes called "Mexican Match" loads. Pull the bullet, weigh a couple of powder charges, get an average, and either reload with a consistent (pulled powder) powder load, or load with your favorite powder load. Take a look at most reloading manuals for your guidance. Speer doesn't differentiate between loads for FMJ or SP bullets, so I don't see an issue with doing a straight replacement. Like rbuck351 says, to be safe, you could drop the newly assembled bullet with a grain or two less than the original load just to be safe, and load to the same COAL to be sure your new bullets don't push up against the lands.
    Shouldn't be a problem.