Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Finally, a 500 S&W lever action rifle.

Default Finally, a 500 S&W lever action rifle.

Holy Smokes, this dandy rifle is the nicest little lever I've seen in years. I really like how this company designed the rifle from the ground up, and that it's based off a good ole fashioned Winchester. They say it's a slightly larger version of a model 92. All the parts are stainless steel, I can live with that. A little beefy at just over 7.5 lbs, but you won't need a scope so the weight shouldn't be an issue, and may be better for recoil.

A little pricey at $2000 but I'd rather spend that on a rifle like this, than some expensive semi auto tactical carbine.

http://www.bighornarmory.com/products/carbine_specs.php

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMM2_p6xuJQ

I hope I didn't already post something a rifle that everyone already knew about...........................

I often wonder, Is the marlin lever action actually safe enough to handle the pressure of the 500? There's a new lever rifle in town, no need to even worry about a marlin anyways.

matnaggewinu

looks like your all in the koolaid and you dont even know the flavor!
    Semper Fi!

Quote Originally Posted by greythorn3 View Post
    looks like your all in the koolaid and you dont even know the flavor!

Oh, I got a flavor you you'll like:

It's made in Amerrrrrica, what flavor is that? Mmmm....taste like freedom.

matnaggewinu

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    Oh, I got a flavor you you'll like:

It's made in Amerrrrrica, what flavor is that? Mmmm....taste like freedom.

apple pie! cant wait to get this thanksgiving day started! turkey and pie, yee haw!!!!!
    Semper Fi!

I donít know if everyone knew about the Big Horn but I did a couple years ago.

There is also the DRC in 500S&W, 460S&W/454, 500 Linebaugh, 475 Linebaugh/480 Ruger
    http://www.drcfirearms.com/_webapp_1...r_Action_Rifle

Then the other day I found guys are taking the Marlin 336 and converting it to 358 Winchester, Yup 358 Win.
    http://www.gunweek.com/2003/feature0301.html
    http://www.chuckhawks.com/35rem_358win.htm

I've been drooling over the Big Horn Armory lever ever since I saw it advertised in the rifle mags.
    Nice looking, I'd like to handle one to see how balanced and smooth they are.
    Anybody handle one????
    "The older I get, the better I was."

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post

There is also the DRC in 500S&W, 460S&W/454, 500 Linebaugh, 475 Linebaugh/480 Ruger

Then the other day I found guys are taking the Marlin 336 and converting it to 358 Winchester, Yup 358 Win.
    What d'ya do that for?? That 336 in 358 Winchester is VERY interesting! May be a new winter project on the way!!

Quote Originally Posted by nbh40 View Post
    What d'ya do that for?? That 336 in 358 Winchester is VERY interesting! May be a new winter project on the way!!
    You and me both! I just wish I could find a good straight grip 336 for a donor. I hate that pistol grip.

Quote Originally Posted by evandailey View Post
    You and me both! I just wish I could find a good straight grip 336 for a donor. I hate that pistol grip.
    There's me looking for a pistol grip version. 336 are easy to convert, loads of aftermarket stocks around and the trigger plates are fairly easy to come by - easier than 1895 ones. Even put a ram-line synthetic stock (fill with building foam fo weight/strength) and ya have a nice all-weather gun.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Now, for some SERIOUS criticism.

It shoulda been a PUMP.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by evandailey View Post
    Me too. Pistol grip LAs, don't look "Cahboy, enuff".

Straight Grip Marlins are few and far between. You'll be lucky to find one.

I had one many long yars ago, (336 T) and sold it because it was PP workmanship. Recently, I acquired another one, OLDER mdl of some sort, kinda dinged up, with the straight grip, and I reely like it. It's more accurate than the other one I had.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Smitty,
    There was a pump rifle some time ago. It was chambered in the 500 S&W, and for some odd reason, the guy's web site stopped working and I aint ever heard anything about it since!

matnaggewinu

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post

Never saw that DRC, I thought it was just another modified Marlin but when I clicked in his website, it appears he made a machined, brand new reciever, and not a cast knock off....... genius.

matnaggewinu

The bighorns are nice rifles, if they could get them to market. They seem to be having the same troubles everyone who trys to make a 500SW rifle have, first making them work, secondly getting them to the market at a price someone can afford. We have several working 500 leverguns at the shop, but you don't want to pay for one. With the time it takes to design a new rifle, tooling costs, special materials, yada yada, you'd have to sell thousands per year to make them both profitable and affordable.

If anyone wants a straight grip 336 all they need is a lower tang and buttstock from an 1895G, that and the lever puts you in business. I know because I convert all the ones I buy to straight grip, don't care for pistol grip stocks on my leverguns.

Oh and that pump 500, I've handled one of those too, cool gun, except the part where it weighs about 12# without shells

I guess their success would be in the eye of the beholder. I just had a phone conversation with a friend back home who purchased one, that's how I found out about it. It's flawless with all loads, but he said the heaviest loads make him flinch, which isn't a problem with the rifle itself.

They are one of the only folks out there who brought one to the market that actually works, and at a price point that is very manageable for a custom lever action made from the ground up. I don't see any documented troubles. They made it work, and the price is fair.

matnaggewinu

If I played cowboys and Indians then I would find this "levah" rifle to be tempting.

Quote Originally Posted by nbh40 View Post
    Sorry didn't mean ta wave the candy at your nose . . . much.

I was surprised when the Gun Week story popped when I Googled ď358 WinchesterĒ then totally stunned when I Googled "Marlin 336 in 358 Win" and saw there are a lot of guys that have done it. Iím chewing on the idea myself, I been lookin hard at 35-30-30 in a 94 Win but this could be more cooler yet.

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    The bighorns are nice rifles, if they could get them to market. They seem to be having the same troubles everyone who trys to make a 500SW rifle have, first making them work, secondly getting them to the market at a price someone can afford. We have several working 500 leverguns at the shop, but you don't want to pay for one. With the time it takes to design a new rifle, tooling costs, special materials, yada yada, you'd have to sell thousands per year to make them both profitable and affordable.

If anyone wants a straight grip 336 all they need is a lower tang and buttstock from an 1895G, that and the lever puts you in business. I know because I convert all the ones I buy to straight grip, don't care for pistol grip stocks on my leverguns.
    I assume the combination of long straight wall case, high pressure, and large .500Ē diameter would make it challenging to convert the usual 45 caliber lever gun suspects to 500.

Oh and add me to the list of pistol grip lever gun haters, only thing more ugly is a scope and boy-howdy are they ugly with both . . . good usein but butt ugly.

Nice rifle, how would that compare to a Marlin GG 45-70? Never shot a .500 S&W.

Happy Thanksgiving Gang!!!! I don't see a general forum.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast