Thread: Travel rods

Default Travel rods

With excess airline baggage charges at a premium I've been searching high and low for a 3 or 4 piece steelheadish rod in the 9ish' range and have run into deadends. Three to four piece flyrods are pretty much the norm any more but I'm finding it nearly impossible to find lengthy 3 or 4 piece spinning rods. I bought a super nice 7' Temple Fork Outfitters rod the other day (Gary Loomis started his own line) that works great...but I'm looking for an 9'+ rod for drift fishing. Does anyone have any suggestions?

It depends what technique you will be using the rod for but I have made many steelhead rods out of 10 foot 7 and 8 weight fly rod blanks.
    You might want to talk to a rod builder and have a custom made.

I visited AKTrouters website and those rods are sweet! I just returned from a trip to Lake Michigan where many of the guys were using 9'+ spinning rods. Most of the time they were using these long rods with roe or small jigs under small floats/bobbers in the lake and tributaries. I asked them why they used such long rods. They said it allows them to have less drag and allows them to mend the line easier than short rods....especially when the wind blew in the lake or long runs floating rivers. Most of the time they use 5 lb tippet in the clear water and said the long, medium weight rods cushioned some of the hard strikes and fighting of 6 to 20+lb fish. I imagine the same rod would be ideal for larger rivers in Alaska. It seems like it would be easier to cover more river while drifting flies, roe, etc. with a long spinning rod than flyrod? I LOVE catching fish on my flyrod but if fish are out too deep or in difficult spots to cover with a flyrod a long spinning rod makes sense? I'm still amazed that none of the main rod building companies haven't picked up on this and produce long travel rods that pack as small as the 3 or 4 piecer flyrods.

I would be curious if this makes sense and what length/weight rods would make sense for this type of fishing?

As I said I have made a bunch of rods for this type of fishing using 7 and 8 weight fly rod blanks with great success.
    My latest is a Sage Z-AXIS 7136-4 conversion. This is a 13 1/2 foot 7wt 4pce spey blank tied as a center pin/ spinning rod for big fish in big water. I have a 7wt 2pce tied as a spinning rod also for chucking lures and bottom bouncing.

Bingo on what drifter 016 says. I have numerous 4 pc fly/spey blanks made into spinning/centerpin rods. The other nice thing about going this route is you can save quite a bit of cash too.

Default 3-4 piece rods

I purchased a santiam fishing rod for my trip. What a great 8' 3 piece rod for my trip. I have fished lamiglas for years. This rod compares quality wise for a better price. I have looked for a travel rod longer than 7'. This company can provide. www.santiamfishingrods.com

I agree ^^^^^^ I got the spinning rod and it is fantastic! I plan on getting the 9 footer as soon as it comes out

Buddy of mine built two 9' 4-piece from these blanks for steelhead and salmon. The 8-weight is his all around rod, but the 10-weight has proven itself a dandy for kings and heavier lines and weights. Hard for me to choose between them, because they're both sweet. A 3-piece 8.5' rod is getting close to 36" broken down. A 4-piece 9' rod breaks down to less than 30", on the order of 27" or 28", if packed length is a critical factor for you.

Lake Michigan Steelie fishing or Michigan Steelie fishingin general and the Famed Long Rod. Just adding a couple of notes the subject has already been covered. Noodle Rods as we use to call them have been used for Steelie / Salmon fishing for over 30 years. Just about everyone who chased brooked trout even back in when my father was fishing hard and long days used fly rods with spinning reels. Back in the late 70's early 80's when rod building was picking up steam in MI. people like my brother were pushing out 10ft 6W fly rod blanks with Spinning reel seats for fishing places like the Betsi, Boardman, and Platte Rivers. Mind you it is not the Center Pin Euro fishing we have today but the idea is basically the same long rod, lighter line and bigger / more fish. Mind you Kings back in MI were and are smaller so 6W ain't going to cut it up here for bigger fish, however for Steelies and Silvers you would have some fun. As Brown Bear mentioned larger for Kings 10W is fine. I use to make a couple of year for friends in AK 9ft 6W 12W double handle with Spinning seats they work very well.

Sorry for the story it's like fashion seems to come around about every 20 years.
    Great subject.

for me its always been travel/pack rods. I have just always loved them. now mind you that Im not the crazy guy who only uses them its just that they are so convenient for hiding them in the rig so the wife does not know. Oh crap I think that Im a collector

You might take a look at this one. I brought 2 of them over to Kaui and have been using them hard for over a week and am very happy with them. Maybe a little stiff but work great for spinning and surf casting with up to 5oz. of lead. Made in Norway and have a real good case.
    http://www.psfishing.com/power-pilk-...shing-rod.html

I carefully considered the suggestions in this thread and others and last night I ordered what I hope will be an ideal sockeye "flossing" rod. I've built several saltwater spinning, bottom fishing, trolling and deep jigging rods from Mudhole for Gulf of Mexico fishing and been pleased with their products and service. I actually got a quick tour of their facility in Orlando, FL a few years ago when I stopped-in while on vacation to buy some components over the counter. Really a first-class operation. Anyway, I ordered a Temple Fork Outfitters 9-foot, 8wt, 4-piece Professional Series fly blank. That is Temple Fork's least expensive blank at $80. It will be built as a spinning rod with cork grips, standard spinning real seat, and Fuji hardaloy guides (probably 8 plus tip). I plan to use a Shimano Symmetre 4000 reel on it. What do you guys think?

I think that its a fantastic idea. while everyone can buy a rod, not everyone can build there own custom. please keep up posted (pics )
    only 2 more years and I get to spend 3 months in the best place on earth.....ALASKA!

I got one of these last year for christmas!
    Quote Originally Posted by preed View Post
    only 2 more years and I get to spend 3 months in the best place on earth.....ALASKA!

Hi ,Dont know if they ship out of the uk or not there are afew 4and5 peice spining rods here.
    http://www.sportfish.co.uk/spinning/spinning-rods

I normaly take 6 rods to alaska in a large rod case .This year I am considring purchising travel rods for the same resons as yourself .

Albright makes an 8'3" 4pc spinning rod rated 12-20# test.

jimss.
    Did you find your 9' travel spin rod yet ?
    I have a Brand new 9' 4-pce Temple Fork Ourfitters TiCr2. It is a S904 HVY. Line wt. 10-25lb Lure wt. 3/4-2 1/2 Bought it new last year with the intend on using it but I have turned my attention to Mexico instead. This is a drift / float spin. Just what you're looking for.

Pm me if you'd like.

Quote Originally Posted by jimss View Post
    With excess airline baggage charges at a premium I've been searching high and low for a 3 or 4 piece steelheadish rod in the 9ish' range and have run into deadends. Three to four piece flyrods are pretty much the norm any more but I'm finding it nearly impossible to find lengthy 3 or 4 piece spinning rods. I bought a super nice 7' Temple Fork Outfitters rod the other day (Gary Loomis started his own line) that works great...but I'm looking for an 9'+ rod for drift fishing. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Screaminreel,

I tried to send you a pm regarding you post about the fly rod and it says that you cannot recieve a pm. plz send me a pm if you would as i have some questions about it...

Thanx man..."fishon"

Quote Originally Posted by screaminreel View Post
    jimss.
    Did you find your 9' travel spin rod yet ?
    I have a Brand new 9' 4-pce Temple Fork Ourfitters TiCr2. It is a S904 HVY. Line wt. 10-25lb Lure wt. 3/4-2 1/2 Bought it new last year with the intend on using it but I have turned my attention to Mexico instead. This is a drift / float spin. Just what you're looking for.

Pm me if you'd like.
    "Fisherman for Life" and "Phantom owner Forever"

Sent you an email or try.
    bronco7406@hotmail.com