Thread: Ideal wolf terrain

Default Ideal wolf terrain

I am a falconer, and I am looking in to flying a golden eagle in years ahead. Therefore, I would need ideal hunting terrain. Rolling hills or cliffs are preferable, in an area with a large/decent population of wolves, fox, or coyote, although foxes would be preferable. Also, it would have to be an area easy to pack a horse into where it wouldn't freeze overnight. Any suggestions are very appreciated. Thanks!

Golden eagles can take a wolf? A yote even seems big. Love to see pics.

I have personally seen a Golden take down an adult Pronghorn. Had heard stories to that effect, but never believed it until I saw it with my own eyes. Coyotes would be nothing for a Golden, not sure about a wolf. Am suspicious of the legality of possessing / flying a Golden tho. Would like to hear how that is possible.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by Teacherman View Post
    Golden eagles can take a wolf? A yote even seems big. Love to see pics.
    Watch this! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Re644qgnCtw

Yes, golden eagles can take wolf, on occasion. They can take coyote and fox consistently. I have seen them swoop down and kill newborn calf elk, and return to feed once the mother had left. I have also seen a grizzly bear intervene on a snowshoe hair kill, but the eagle chased it off eventually. They have also been known to take most upland game birds. They're incredible hunters. As for the legality, it is perfectly legal to keep, fly and hunt with a golden eagle so long as you have the right permits and experience. I am currently practicing falconry in Washington, but I will be living in Alaska in a few years and was asking for future reference.

Don't the Golden's even feed on goats? Like dive and knock them off a cliff, they head down to eat them.

Pack a horse into, not freeze at night.....you want to hunt fur in Summer?

Mountain tops, ridge tops and willow lines from the high to the low, where predators spot, stalk and ambush other animals.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Quote Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post
    Those don't look quite like 100+lb Ak wolves. These guys up here chew up moose legs for a living! I'm a skeptic

Default mongolian wolves

Those mongolian wolves in the video average less than 50 lb. more like big coyotes, its still impressive though. your also going to have a hard time finding that kind of open, dry country in alaska. There are very, VERY few places you can take off riding a horse anywhere you want. You will either end up in a bog or a willow thicket.

I wish we could teach our wild eagles to hunt coyotes rather than lambs! Talk about solving to problems at once!