Thread: Deadman bay kodiak goat hunt

Default Deadman bay kodiak goat hunt

Takin off Friday for a goat an deer hunt on the south west end of kodiak. I am like a kid in a candy store!! Anyone have any advice about the area or there experience goat hunting this time of year? Or items they wish they would have brought but didn't? Just excited to get out hunting again!

Snow and Ice, Bring a GOOD set of Crampons, Get'em at REI. Good Luck

Just got back from Kodiak. DEEP snow already. Snowshoes and crampons are a must. Also, be prepared for major travel delays as Kodiak airport is notorious for canceled flights. I was on the island for 13 days and stuck in town for 6 of them, 3 on either end of my trip! Good luck and be sure to lets us know how it goes. Hopefully you're as fortunate as I was to find great hunting and harvest some great animals!

Crampon, Ice Axe to self arrest, a quality tent and an extra tent. We had snow at sea level and brutal tent destroying winds.

Oh and a Sat Phone, I would not go without one.

Be safe and have a great time, remember that it is often much easier to get up than to come back down.

I'm sure you know but, a hide on a mature Billy with skull and feet, is close to 50lbs and the meat, bone in near 100lbs.

We found most our bucks in the Alpine.

Ice Axe Trekking Pole

Tent at sea level on 1 Nov this year.

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

As a follow up to the deer status, the deep snow we experienced on the north side of the island (I've heard its basically the same conditions throughout the island) has pushed all the deer down very low. The valley we hunted was void of ANY deer sign outside of the river bottom but boy were they thick down low! While I don't know where the goats will be this time of year, I'd expect the goats will be very difficult to get to, let alone see. Just .02 from a guy who has yet to hunt goats. Also, most bears are denned up or in the process of so you shouldn't have an issue there. If it were me, I'd be focusing on deer for this weekend.

Absolutely, .....the ice axe-trekking pole combo unit Stid has mentioned
    Really a Must-Have item for the conditions you'll be into this year.(find reasonable cost version at REI)
    I use mine "All The Time," .... you'll love it

Also what he slid in there about, "it's always easier to get up than get back down"
    take that tip very seriously in the crumbly rock mixed with ice, or dusty snow

Goat fever could mess with your normal cautious wisdom that way.
    It's really especially true on Kodiak, and in Mt Goat country in winter

Have Fun, take it slow, you'll get into some Billies I bet
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Just returned from Deadman Bay. 9 days hunting/ 7 days weathered in, 2 travel days. Worst weather I have seen in yrs. Over a ft of snow on the beach, but it is a deer "turkey shoot"! We had a trip to remember. Goats are not dropping as low. If u want more specific info send me a PM. Good luck.

Justin,

Lets see some pics and tell a story!

Let me reiterate... Snow is DEEP!!! It is here to stay, at least over the weekend. Snow shoes might be nice too.

Went up to 1500 ft last weekend and the snow was still waist deep in some spots.

On a good note, I saw 15 deer yesterday just driving around. All in the middle of the day too. A lot of fox are out as well, might want to bring something for them.

I luv this forum!!! Thanks for all the info! I will definitely post pics and a story when I get back. I have taken a lot of info from the posts hopefully we come back with a couple goats and 6 deer!!!!!

So Searunner, any hunt reports for us??? Looking for some good reading material!

+1 good or bad.