Thread: Setting up new lines

Default Setting up new lines

When setting up a new line in an area that has not been trapped before what are good areas/signs to look for. My new line will be checked on foot any ideas on how to set up an easily accessible but yet discreet line?

Supporting Member

Never walk in perpendicular to a road. A trail that angles off is less noticeable. You can also make your trails entry point on a curve, as most people's eyes will remain on the road as they negotiate the curve. Another good practice is to take giant, exaggerated steps, so as to appear more "moose-like", rather than a packed down human trail.
    As for good areas or signs, terrain features that funnel animals are always a good place to start and should show tracks from animals already using the area. Think "path of least resistance" and that is where you will usually find the animals traveling. Good luck and stay safe!

Thanks for the tips that is very helpful!

No matter how hard you try to conceal your entry point to your line, people are gong to walk it if they find it. Case in pont. I went into one of my lines I set for Marten and lynx, I snowshoe in so someone decided to walk partway down my line, stop then walk out, none of my marten sets were touched that I can tell ( good thing i went in the prevoius sunday and removed to two extra large marten hanging in one of my double cubbie sets. By the way this line was taken over after no one trapping after the past three seasons, so who knows? Dont like someone walking down part of my line, but what can you do? Nothing. Just glad trapsd or catch was not taken. Some people have no ethics, and I cannot see the reason of partway walking down someone elses line. So i guess the point is if some one finds your line eventually someones going to check your line for you when your not around... Good luck

Aktrpr

Supporting Member

AKtrpr,
    Could be your sets were being checked by AST F&W Enforcement. They will often check trappers' sets for legality (bait, mostly) and I have never known them to disturb sets if everything is legal.

when i was trapping coon in Ohio i had a set on a trail with a jump stick over it so deer would go around. i found one day someone following the trail and they stepped over the trap and never noticed it so i was a bit nervous about that,what if they stepped in it,what if i had a catch when they were goin by? inever did see the tracks again and i caught a nice coon the next day. I have had traps stolen tho, made a set and had it wired to a tree next day gone wire and all. no catch ring at all and there was nothing out there that could break the anchor point except a 2 legged critter with cutters. just keep in mind that just because you dont see sign of anyone there doesnt mean someone wont go there

I would never run some one else's line or steal anything, but I have gone down trails made by other people. A couple of times they have been trap lines.

Basically, its a crap shoot. At one point you will have stuff stolen. Just a part of life.

Was out hunting rabbits last Sunday and came upon a snare set out on a trail. Turned around and walked out instead of hunting. If you trap off the road, and there is a pull out with rabbit tracks around, most likely someone will stop there. I don't know that it's an ethics thing, more like an access thing. But I can say now that I am familiar with the scent that was put out, I'll have an idea of what it is and turn around sooner next time.
    Last edited by E's_dad; 12-04-2011 at 23:25. Reason: Spelling

Supporting Member

E's dad,
    Wasn't my gear or line, but as a trapper, I appreciate the courtesy you extended to the trapper. Good job!