Thread: Nomadic Camping

Post Nomadic Camping

What's up everyone? Just looking for a little bit of information that can benefit me in the near future. Anyways, I am in the motion of re-locating to Alaska within the next month. I actually just got out of the military myself so really wanting to get away from everyone and everything, and want another adventure pretty much, and I know that I will be able to find it there. Enough b/sin, I was just wondering what the camping situation is like? Once I get to Alaska I will be residing around Anchorage for a few months to get all my disability claims set up, and wait for the spring to move out so basically what is the time amount alloted for staying at one camp site, and what destinations are you allowed to set up camp. Yeah, I'm a noob in this situation, so I could really use all the help I can get. Cause I'm wanting to live off the grid, without the daily worries, and b/s of life. Thanks everyone...

x_hot_sauce_x

The generally allowed uses of state land allows for 14 days at one location and then you have to move I believe at least two miles. There is tons of land up here but lots of it belongs to the Feds and they have different rules depending on who oversees it.

How do you plan to live off the grid? Food? Transportation? What about winter?

I think the VA will put you up if you don't have a place untill your disability gets worked out. Check with RET25 here as he may have better updated info.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Well I don't plan to stay off the grid forever honestly. Just want to blue tarp it for a couple of months in the better seasons of Alaska. I will be going to do this in the spring or at least once the temperature rises. But I just want to get a feel for what it would actually be like to live in the wilderness. Cause over time I will be buying a small bit of land in a remote destination, so just wanting to better prepare myself. And for the time that I am out there, I plan to hunt small game, and fish. And thanks for the info Amigo. I actually replied to one of your posts on one of corpsmans topic's. But I was just wondering if you might have some advice on some good destinations where you can move from site to site, cause that's what I had in mind actually for just a few months, until I find a bit of land, and build a cabin. Thanks guys...

x_hot_sauce_x

Quote Originally Posted by x_hot_sauce_x View Post
    Cause I'm wanting to live off the grid, without the daily worries, and b/s of life.

You will find that living off the grid comes with it's own special breed of daily worries and b/s.

It's like they say: Wherever you go, there you are.

Good luck, hope you find some peace out there.

Oh your exactly right about that dkwarthog. I know there is going to many challanges that I will face. But the entire idea with be the biggest challange I have ever faced but I am up for it. I think I won't have as much to worry about as I did walking through the mountains doing foot patrols in Afghanistan, LOL. Thanks for the tip!

It will only be as much of a challenge as you care to make it. Sounds like you have faced and overcome challenges most Americans would not even comprehend.

Best of luck and thanks for your service.

If you be will dealing with the VA once a week or so your blue tarping will be much like doing the same thing around Detroit. Lots of homeless problems around Anchorage and if you don't have transportation you will need to stay close to town.Truth is lots of Alaska folks go the Seattle to get their VA stuff going
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by x_hot_sauce_x View Post
    What's up everyone? Just looking for a little bit of information that can benefit me in the near future. Anyways, I am in the motion of re-locating to Alaska within the next month. I actually just got out of the military myself so really wanting to get away from everyone and everything, and want another adventure pretty much, and I know that I will be able to find it there. Enough b/sin, I was just wondering what the camping situation is like? Once I get to Alaska I will be residing around Anchorage for a few months to get all my disability claims set up, and wait for the spring to move out so basically what is the time amount alloted for staying at one camp site, and what destinations are you allowed to set up camp. Yeah, I'm a noob in this situation, so I could really use all the help I can get. Cause I'm wanting to live off the grid, without the daily worries, and b/s of life. Thanks everyone...

x_hot_sauce_x
    I am new to this site and Alaska, so I won't comment on that. I am well versed with the VA though, and this is just through my personal experience. It would be more important for you to find out from other vets in the area the quality of that particular VA. Not all area VA's are created equal. I have been to some awesome VA hospitals, but I have equally experienced nightmares. Unfortunately, the VA is notorious for hiring people that don't care about the people they serve, they are there for the paycheck and the benefits. I don't' know about Anchorage VA, but if it's a bad one, you could be thrown around from one person to the next and get nothing done for month's. Like I said, some of them just sit there their 8 hours and you come along, they will feign interest and then pass the buck saying you need to go see this person, and by the time you are done, you won't need the blueprints to the hospital!!! I'm sorry for the pessimism, but I have had good and bad ordeals with the VA. I hope Anchorage is a good one for your sake.

God Bless!

Regards,

Jeff

I have no idea as to the quality of service since the Anchorage VA moved into their new, big, hospital/clinic.. The service I received at the old clinic was pretty good... and I would assume most of those Doctors and Technicians and clerical staff transferred to the new building...

Hey thanks for the reply Jeff, and also thanks for the message the other day to as well! Right now I think I am going to probably put Alaska off for another year unfortunately cause my father, who is retired from the military is currently working down range in Afghanistan, and called to inform me the other day that he could possibly have a job offer for me there as a contractor. So yeah, I am pretty willing to take that, cause that would really benefit me tons with being able to buy land, and have a good nest egg to sit on for a while. But hey thanks everyone for the tips, and advice. I currently went to the VA here in Detroit the other day just to pop in there and try and get the ball rolling. I know they won't be able to do **** though until appts. are set up, but I just hope that it doesn't take to long, I mean I know it's going to take long, just hopefully not to long. Thanks everyone for the advice, I really do appreciate it!

x_hot_sauce_x

Have fun, Travle light , I'm sure you know that possessions are a burden. Lot of Alaska out there
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

i sent you a pm. give me a call and ill feel you in on the VA 411

Well, I wonder if he ever made it?