Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question on tents

Default Question on tents

Hey gang, Would this be a good all around tent to have for Alaska weather http://www.rei.com/product/797213/nemo-espri-2p-tent if not what would you recommend. I'm not really concerned about the weight but something that can withstand a good wind/rain squall .
    Alaska bound !

I have never looked at the Nemo tents but the rainfly appears to not reach the ground on the sides. I see that catching wind and it may not be up to multiple days of wet weather. I personally like more Vestibule space as well. I look for a tent that allows you to get your gear in out of the weather but still allow you to get in and out without having to do an Olympic level gymnastics floor routine.

What would be the purpose of the tent?

Default tent, etc...

Definitely agree with that. Two vestibules are something you really can't do without in real weather, and neither is a rainfly that goes all the way to the ground.

In addition, lots will tell you (rightfully) that you should not have a built in floor in your tent, so that a visiting bear doesn't turn your tent into a you-burrito.... good advice I grant, but I do have floors in my tent, but sleep next to a straight knife (sheathed), two flashlights, my glasses, and my revolver and rifle. Another good addition (that I do use) is a 5K volt bear fence (brand UDAP); I went large, for the 90 foot per side square model; love it; I make it skinny and long and put a pretty sanitary food tent at the other end of the fenced in enclosure. Also buy a digital voltmeter tester for it so you know the voltage is there without having to test it by touching it or peeing on it. Ouch!

Ahh thanks, this is just for a few days out camping, extended outing I should say . Should I look into a 4 season tent ? still not sure when I would come up but this tent would serve for many outings .
    Alaska bound !

A little cheap neon test light 99 cents will do the same thing, just hold it near the fence. Unless of course your like me and take lots of tools along when I travel... just in case.

I don't know if they have Craigslist where your at, but I find it a way to save money on just about everything, especially camping equipment which gets purchased and used once then put in the garage. I found a nice name brand car top carrier box for less than 1/2 price and it looks new.

If REI sells it, should be good to go for 3-season use, bar mountaineering. A good sleeping bag, good clothing, excellent footwear, plenty of food and a way to purify water are more important than your tent. I've sat out storms in some pretty crappy tents and lived to tell of it.
    "– Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

REI has a 3+ season tent, the Arete ASL. I've used it and love it, but haven't had the opportunity to try it in a big storm... How do you all think it would hold up to Kodiak?

http://www.rei.com/product/794285/rei-arete-3-asl-tent

I like the arete, but I would look for something with 2 vests.
    Really hate to do this to you but, look at the Hilleberg Allak or Staika.
    Big buy-in price but hell for stout....
    http://www.hilleberg.com/home/products/allak/allak.php

Quote Originally Posted by budman5 View Post
    I like the arete, but I would look for something with 2 vests.
    Really hate to do this to you but, look at the Hilleberg Allak or Staika.
    Big buy-in price but hell for stout....
    http://www.hilleberg.com/home/products/allak/allak.php
    Honestly, I'd feel better with another tent as well but I am having a hell of a time convincing the husband. I think he's not a fan of the prices on the better tents... is there anything out there for cheaper maybe?

http://www.rei.com/product/739349/rei-mountain-3-tent
    http://www.rei.com/product/777753/rei-base-camp-4-tent
    The mountain tent would handle Kodiak, has more room that the arete too...

Rumbarr,

I've had great success with the Eureka brand of tents.

I have the Eureka Assault Outfitter 4, and It's been in rain, snow, hard rain winds, hard blowing snow, and it held up admirably. It's rated as a 4-season tent. Here's a link to it http://store.eurekatent.com/assault-outfitter-4-tent Not light or cheap, it's a beefy strong tent. If I didn't have to backpack it into some place this would be my first choice, but then again, I already own it. BTW, it's German Shepard Dog approved (my dog lights up and gets super excited when she sees the tent - she loves going to the woods).

An alternate Eureka tent is the K-2 XT. http://store.eurekatent.com/k-2-xt-tent This is another 4-season rated tent. I haven't seen this one in person but knowing the quality of Eureka tents, I would guess that it is very well made.

For either tent, if you surf the internet you can find them cheaper that what Eureka will sell them to you for. Eureka brand or not, look for the 4-season tents, they are tougher, sewn better, usually have more tie down spots, and can better protect you from harsh weather conditions.

Hope that helps.

MyTime

Rumbarr,

One more thing...if you use any 4-season tent in Florida that thing will get HOT. Those things are not built for for tropical environments.

MyTime

Budman5 mentioned the REI Base Camp 4. I have used the BaseCamp6 and am a big fan. I am currently shopping for a BaseCamp 4. Its no where near as durable looking as the Eureka Tents which were mentioned, but it is less expensive. Most importantly, it has a full rain fly and its five pole design is very sturdy and stable .

The K2XT is a bomber tent. I have one and it's a fantastic tent. The tent the original poster is looking at would be just fine down in the States.

Quote Originally Posted by HippieDave View Post
    Budman5 mentioned the REI Base Camp 4. I have used the BaseCamp6 and am a big fan. I am currently shopping for a BaseCamp 4. Its no where near as durable looking as the Eureka Tents which were mentioned, but it is less expensive. Most importantly, it has a full rain fly and its five pole design is very sturdy and stable .

Before switching to Arctic Ovens, the Base Camp 6 was the last tent we owned. I really liked the tent personally. BUT one big windstorm and a looooong night in Katmai one Fall proved the cost/weight of an AO was well worth the trade off.

Welcome aboard Dave. I like the screen-name. Hope you have thick skin, many here see the "H" word and respond like a bull to a red cape.

Or so I hear...
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Alaknak 12X12. Has worked for many seasons of hunting!

Quote Originally Posted by Rumbarr View Post
    Hey gang, Would this be a good all around tent to have for Alaska weather http://www.rei.com/product/797213/nemo-espri-2p-tent if not what would you recommend. I'm not really concerned about the weight but something that can withstand a good wind/rain squall .
    This tent would not hold up in Alaska wind/rain. Especially in SW Alaska or Kodiak. I am going to test out the Alaska Guide Tent next summer. The price was pretty for the 6 man with Aluminumn poles. Some good videos of it in actual conditions on YouTube. I've heard some fantastic reviews for a $400-500 tent.

Quote Originally Posted by qkayak View Post
    This tent would not hold up in Alaska wind/rain. Especially in SW Alaska or Kodiak. I am going to test out the Alaska Guide Tent next summer. The price was pretty for the 6 man with Aluminumn poles. Some good videos of it in actual conditions on YouTube. I've heard some fantastic reviews for a $400-500 tent.
    Wow , you guys must get some serious weather then . Thanks for all the posts so far, I'm looking into them .
    Alaska bound !

Quote Originally Posted by MyTime View Post
    Rumbarr,

I've had great success with the Eureka brand of tents.

I have the Eureka Assault Outfitter 4, and It's been in rain, snow, hard rain winds, hard blowing snow, and it held up admirably. It's rated as a 4-season tent. Here's a link to it http://store.eurekatent.com/assault-outfitter-4-tent Not light or cheap, it's a beefy strong tent. If I didn't have to backpack it into some place this would be my first choice, but then again, I already own it. BTW, it's German Shepard Dog approved (my dog lights up and gets super excited when she sees the tent - she loves going to the woods).

An alternate Eureka tent is the K-2 XT. http://store.eurekatent.com/k-2-xt-tent This is another 4-season rated tent. I haven't seen this one in person but knowing the quality of Eureka tents, I would guess that it is very well made.

For either tent, if you surf the internet you can find them cheaper that what Eureka will sell them to you for. Eureka brand or not, look for the 4-season tents, they are tougher, sewn better, usually have more tie down spots, and can better protect you from harsh weather conditions.

Hope that helps.

MyTime
    Thanks, looking into a 2man to hold what gear I have (be just me ), prices are higher then I expected but if you wanna play ,you gotta pay I guess hehe .
    Alaska bound !

Quote Originally Posted by Rumbarr View Post
    Thanks, looking into a 2man to hold what gear I have (be just me ),
    Yeah, since when did one guy fit into a one guy tent. Myself, I feel comfortably alone and right in a 4 man tent. ;-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast