Thread: Opinions on Hunting-related apps

Default Opinions on Hunting-related apps

Hi guys- I'm new to the forum but I wanted to introduce myself shortly.

Grew up hunting Alaska and continue to do so whenever I can, though now normally it's in NY since I reside there most of the year. I recently came across ScoutLook Weather in another blog and I've been using it ever since to plan before I hunt.

It gives pretty accurate weather information, tools, etc and the two creators are avid hunters themselves, which means all the information has been very useful to me.

I recently went bowhunting last weekend and using their ScentCone feature I knew where I should place my treestands. I like a challenge for sure, but weather is not one I want to bother with. Their app just came out (if you have a droid or iPhone) and I like that as well just so it's handy when I'm out in the field.

Where do you guys like to hunt? How do you prepare for the weather? What are some of your favorite hunter-friendly apps?

Most places I hunt, I can't get any kind of signal for a phone. One of the things I look forward to most when I go on a hunting trip is to get away from phones/computers/e-mail/etc...

i don't have a smart phone (I'm a follower of hte good ol 7 dollar flip phone, hehe) but if your has a camera on it, if you want to take a picture of a far off animal, focus your binoculars (if you wear glasses it might be a little more difficult) then hold it up the your camera and take hte picture. you can do the same with a regular camera but because of hte size of the lens, you typically have a black surrounding circle. whick is kinda cool in some pictures
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

daryl,
    Keep it simple.
    Just Hunt Man!
    And bring good rain gear and a strong, quality tent.

Ya gots 335+- days of the year to be concerned with city gadgets.
    Ya gots 30+- days of the year to hunt like a remote, hungry Alaskan-Neanderthal man-animal.
    Just Hunt Man!

Welcome to the forum with your first, your #1 post.
    Imagine (It's easy if you try)
    …miles and miles of mountains…wide expanses of tundra...remote wild waters…
    (Whisper words of wisdom) Let It Be

This months article in the NAHC magizine had a small tidbit on a weather map for a i phone or one of those droids. if you want I can figure out what its called and tell ya what it is.
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

AlaskaTrueAdventure, rep points sent your way. You are so right, leave the gadgets at home. Hunt the way it was meant to be. I don't have a problem watching the weather forecast on the nightly news, before I leave to go hunting, but once I'm out there, its all about the experience. I prepare for what the weather conditions are before I go and adapt to what ever the conditions change to. Knute

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaTrueAdventure View Post
    daryl,
    Keep it simple.
    Just Hunt Man!
    And bring good rain gear and a strong, quality tent.

Ya gots 335+- days of the year to be concerned with city gadgets.
    Ya gots 30+- days of the year to hunt like a remote, hungry Alaskan-Neanderthal man-animal.
    Just Hunt Man!

Welcome to the forum with your first, your #1 post.
    +1 for sure. I have watched too many forcasts and when I get to my hunting spot it was totally different - especially for wind direction - too many variables. I enjoy the challenge of figuring it all out on my own - one of the driving forces to hunt!
    Welcome...
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

I'm slightly suspicious that this thread is a veiled ad for ScoutLook from someone we won't hear from again. I think most of the ScoutLook weather app stuff looks kind of gimmicky. Tides, moon phases, wind/barometric forecasts... how often is it that you need information like that out in the field AND couldn't do a better job judging it yourself than some remote weather office's guess for your location? Any one piece of that information is available in other apps anyway, and you rarely need all of that in one place. Also, it looks like ScoutLook doesn't work in Alaska at all, only in the lower 48.

That complaint aside, the post did start an interesting discussion so I'll weigh in on that.

I love technology, and for me it doesn't detract from the hunt experience any more than a really nice weapon or high-tech clothing would for most other hunters. Still, my main use for my iPhone on a hunt is to make a phone calls (to my wife when I'm headed home, and to ADF&G hotlines to check for emergency orders and make sure my hunt's still open). I've also checked used it between days of hunting to check the weather forecast (which doesn't require a special app), and to check for new reports on this forum (which can be done in a web browser app, but the Tapatalk forum app makes it much nicer).

The app I would otherwise find most useful is Gaia GPS, which lets you use USGS topos (although it's a bit of a pain to preload them), but I recently got a new Garmin that's better for that. There are also some ballistics computer apps that could come in handy if I were equipped to take really long shots, but I'm not.
    Jason
    http://www.troutnut.com -- Fly fishing photos & insect hatch encyclopedia.
    http://www.daltoncorridormap.com -- Exact 5-mile Haul Road corridor boundary for GPS & Google Earth