Thread: Bolt release on ruger 7mm not working

Default Bolt release on ruger 7mm not working

I have a 1977 Ruger 7mm remington magnum that I got from my dad and I took it apart and did a clean job on it. The bolt release on the left side of the gun is held on by a single screw and the front end of it is suppose to pull away, allowing you to slide the bolt out. It worked before I took that piece off. I didn't see anything other than the screw and the metal tab. I reassembled it and had no extra parts and now the bolt release tab doesn't move, it will not pull out to the side to release the bolt.

Any ideas? Did I lose a small spring out of there somehow?

Check out the parts schematic on page 14 of the link below. Sounds like you lost the plunger & spring that is inside the bolt release tab.

https://ruger-docs.s3.amazonaws.com/...77-below79.pdf

Check to make sure you didn't tighten the screw down on top of the plunger that works horizontally in the bolt stop. If the bushing that the screw goes through was pushed down so the plunger could move out into the counterbore the screw head could have it pinched, not allowing it to move. There are six parts to the boltstop on a 77 and only three are visible when it's assembled.

The screw is not fully seated. Remove the bolt release assembly, then depress the plunger and make sure the small bushing that the screw passes through is holding the plunger in the release, then slip the screw through the bushing and depress the plunger a little more and get it to rest against the side of the screw head. Then CAREFULLY start the screw into the receiver, while pulling the bolt release assembly away from the receiver, continue to screw the release down. It should work at that point. What has happened to you is the plunger is jamming underneath the screw head and not slipping over it the way it should. The screw should be flush with the release when it is correctly assembled.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Bring it by its a partts fix (unless you really messed things up )

Quote Originally Posted by gunbugs View Post
    The screw is not fully seated. Remove the bolt release assembly, then depress the plunger and make sure the small bushing that the screw passes through is holding the plunger in the release, then slip the screw through the bushing and depress the plunger a little more and get it to rest against the side of the screw head. Then CAREFULLY start the screw into the receiver, while pulling the bolt release assembly away from the receiver, continue to screw the release down. It should work at that point. What has happened to you is the plunger is jamming underneath the screw head and not slipping over it the way it should. The screw should be flush with the release when it is correctly assembled.
    This was exactly the probelm, thanks gunbugs and others that took the time to reply. Everything was there but the screw wasn't set low enough. Tricky little piece! It took some doing but I got it and it's working like it's suppose to.

Thanks

My pleasure, cheers and a happy Thanksgiving to all. Gunbugs
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."