Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: AK-47 be a good bear defense rifle for stream fishing and a woods gun?

Default AK-47 be a good bear defense rifle for stream fishing and a woods gun?

I was wondering if an AK-47 would be enough to stop a charging bear on the streams and woods? I know if they are on you before you know you pretty much SOL. With the FMJ and 30rd mag would it be enough, with quick follow up shots. Plus ammo is pretty cheap to plink with. Sorta like a semi 30-30.

Wouldn't be my first or even fifteenth choice but certainly better than a sharp stick!

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Wouldn't be my first or even fifteenth choice but certainly better than a sharp stick!
    Just an all round rifle while fishing and being in the woods. The .375 Ruger with the long barrel hauling around for the day would be in the way and heavy. Rather have a rifle than a handgun.

The 30-30 have done a good jobs for many years.

Yea like a heavy 30/30 with a very awkward (at least for me) safety but sure better than nothing.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

This video should provide some info on what an AK-47 would do to a bear . http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0BqwsFLknU
    Alaska bound !

Quote Originally Posted by Rumbarr View Post
    This video should provide some info on what an AK-47 would do to a bear . http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0BqwsFLknU
    Awesome! Now if a stuffed bear actually attacked someone.

Hunt not with a gun big enough for what you are hunting, hunt with a gun big enough for what might be hunting you.

That is why I carried a 40 MM grenade launcher, 2 sand bags of HE grenades, Willie Pete, buskshot, flares and tear gas. (My apologies to the MP barracks just outside of Sigon.)

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

got some 154 gr soft points here should tune a bruin up just fine,
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

As the 'decision point' for real vs bluff charge is generally around 30ft and in many cases you don't even see the bear until about 20ft anyway, your chances of getting anymore than a couple of those little 120grainers in the bear is pretting slim. I would personally go with something a bit heavier.
    That said, the rumor is that the Bear DLP on the Kenai a few years ago that was supposedly with a Glock 9mm was actually backed up with a lot of shots from an SKS.
    As others have said, 308 'short' would not be my first choice but with good shot placement it MAY work - there are no certainties when it comes to Brownies.
    I think after reading all the bear defense threads on this and other forums, there are no best guns or calibers. Carry what you shoot best - charging bears have been stopped with every caliber and not stopped with som BIG calibers - it is a lottery and depends on the ability of the shooter with thier gun, the disposition and determination of the bear and many other factors. A bigger caliber and better bullet construction will enhance your chances, but means nought if ya can't shoot straight.

Quote Originally Posted by nbh40 View Post
    As the 'decision point' for real vs bluff charge is generally around 30ft and in many cases you don't even see the bear until about 20ft anyway, your chances of getting anymore than a couple of those little 120grainers in the bear is pretting slim. I would personally go with something a bit heavier.
    That said, the rumor is that the Bear DLP on the Kenai a few years ago that was supposedly with a Glock 9mm was actually backed up with a lot of shots from an SKS.
    As others have said, 308 'short' would not be my first choice but with good shot placement it MAY work - there are no certainties when it comes to Brownies.
    I think after reading all the bear defense threads on this and other forums, there are no best guns or calibers. Carry what you shoot best - charging bears have been stopped with every caliber and not stopped with som BIG calibers - it is a lottery and depends on the ability of the shooter with their gun, the disposition and determination of the bear and many other factors. A bigger caliber and better bullet construction will enhance your chances, but means nought if ya can't shoot straight.
    Thanks for your in put, I have shoot the 45-70 and to get more than 1 round off in a 30ft charge is probably not going to happen with the recoil. That is why I asked on the 7.62x39 round. With a heavy round with a bit of recoil that one round off better hit its mark. I had read I think in the Denali National park a hiker killed a brown bear with a 45ACP 230gr fmj that charged him. For fishing and hiking some prefer a hand gun, I would feel better with a rifle.

I would choose a pump shotgun (870 or mossy 500) long before an AK and have money left in the bank for ammo to practice with! I like lever guns but for me they are not as fast as a pump. That said I don't carry anything else when I take out my 6.8SPC AR. Then again my advice probably isn't that good when you take into account that a buddy and I hauled goat meat several miles off the mountain in Kodiak unarmed...

if I was gonna carry a scatter gun it wouldn't be my 870 or my mossy it would be my saiga and a spare magazine. That 6.8 you got how much wrapped up in it. I got 450 in a chinese ak and 300 a 1200+ case of ammo.
    Μολών λαβέ

This is the one I will be getting, I think overall good gun/price http://www.basspro.com/Mossberg-500-...0217918/120650
    Alaska bound !

I have a Draco that I use for bear defense while out fishing in the summer. I bet I could drop a sow with cubs with a 30 rd magazine if needed.

You could be betting your life on that. Not saying it cant be done but it would not be my first choice Del
    Owner of Kenai Keeper www.kenaikeeper.com

looks like my 590 I wonder what the diff is. I like the saiga better, boom boom boom
    Μολών λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by ironartist View Post
    if I was gonna carry a scatter gun it wouldn't be my 870 or my mossy it would be my saiga and a spare magazine. That 6.8 you got how much wrapped up in it. I got 450 in a chinese ak and 300 a 1200+ case of ammo.
    My custom built 6.8SPC(s)?.... a bunch! They can be had for less but I got exactly what I wanted and I am fine with that. If it was all about who could kill the most with the cheapest guns then Savage/Stevens would be the only manufacturer left! AK's have killed Elephants so no doubt they will work. Heck the polar bear killed near coldfoot was shot with a .223 as are many more each year I am sure. The 6.8 SPC in the AR platform is a fantastic gun for kids. No recoil to speak of and the 6 pos MOE stock allows it to fit me, the wife and any of my 3 young sons nearly instantly. It was already a tack driver but the Timney triggers make it easy to shoot little groups. Honest 10 shots in 1.25" at 100 yards with factory ammo is something I don't think I will ever see out of an AK.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I would choose a pump shotgun (870 or mossy 500) long before an AK and have money left in the bank for ammo to practice with! I like lever guns but for me they are not as fast as a pump. That said I don't carry anything else when I take out my 6.8SPC AR. Then again my advice probably isn't that good when you take into account that a buddy and I hauled goat meat several miles off the mountain in Kodiak unarmed...
    I seen a picture of a 3" slug that one of the guys on here shot and interior brown with and just wounded or hurt him and then used his 45LC lever action rifle to kill him. That is what got me thinking of an semi auto. I guess it is what you hit at the time of the charge and location of the shot. Black bear are probably more of a threat than a brown.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I have a Draco that I use for bear defense while out fishing in the summer. I bet I could drop a sow with cubs with a 30 rd magazine if needed.

Nice gun, is it tough to hit a target with the no stock? The 7.62x39 has some power behind it, thinking the FMJ would penetrate pretty good..

Quote Originally Posted by ironartist View Post
    Them Saiga's are very reliable? I would take an 870 over the Saiga. The SKS has a good rep on reliability. Having something that can get wet, and grit won't stop the function of the gun.

The only thing bad I have heard about a saiga was a melted piston after a couple drums just as fast as one could squeeze the trigger. I would trust the kalashnikov being fail safe since the platform is proven
    Μολών λαβέ

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast