Thread: Questions about moving to Craig, AK

Default Questions about moving to Craig, AK

Does anyone know of a nice place to rent in or near Craig, AK? Have a family member moving there soon and she hasn't been able to find living accommodations.

Any suggestions as to what type of vehicle is best to use there? She has a small car to trade in or sell and was thinking either of getting used Tahoe or Yukon. Had been thinking of the GMC Terrain because of the good gas mileage, but was told that it's on a car chassis (and that all smaller suv/cuv's are) and not so great .... it was a dealer and he called them a glorified car and not suitable for that area.

Also does anyone know if 4WD is better than AWD? Any information you have would be great. Thanks.

Since no one else is stepping up. My best friend (of 50 years) lives in AK and has since 1977. While he lives in Anchorage, I imagine the winter weather is somewhat similar to Craig AK maybe a little colder with less precipitation. The Pacific Ocean is a huge weather moderator, while it cause lots of precipitation both rain and snow, it also keeps the coastal areas much warmer than in the interior. My friend drives (and swears by) 4X4 Toyota PUs, his family cars are invariably AWD Subaru's. BTW 4WD means that it can be driven in both the four wheel drive mode or in two wheel drive mode (for better gas mileage). AWD simply means that its permanently in 4WD.
    I hope this helps, if anyone out there with more experience then this temporary Texan wishes to correct anything I've said here, please do speak up.
    Steve
    Tomorrow's a mystery, yesterday's history, today is a gift, that's why it's called the present!
    Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)

There is going to be a pretty huge difference in weather between Craig and Anchorage. Consider that Craig is over 700 miles almost directly S.E. of Anchorage. That is about the equivelant of the same distance from Seattle, Washington to Salt Lake City, Utah.

I don't have much experience in S.E. Alaska, but you should be able to find some good information regarding the climate and what to expect if you search for threads about moving to Juneau or Sitka. It will be very wet down there. I doubt they get much snow and what they do get will be very heavy, wet snow. There also is not much in the way of roads down there. A quick Google Map seach can givey you a pretty good idea. One "highway" that just leads to another small town and then out of town a bit to a port. Something with 4WD probably wouldn't be a bad idea, but she should be able to get by with a 2WD vehicle. For a place like that, I wouldn't plan on getting a taylor-made vehicle just for it unless you already planned to get rid of what you had.

I'd like to add, while I currently live in Texas, I grew up in the midwest (west suburban Chicago). I agree with anchskier about the 2WD with only one reservation. If you're going with 2WD make it front wheel drive (which most modern cars are, so it's not a problem). The front wheel drive cars are so much better on ice and snow then rear wheel drive, I'm surprised anyone in a northern climate would even consider buying a rear wheel drive car.
    Steve
    Tomorrow's a mystery, yesterday's history, today is a gift, that's why it's called the present!
    Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)

Default POW

I used to live and work there. Craig is a great place. Very difficult to find a place to rent and when you do, it will be a run-down shack. To get by for awhile, I would check out some B&B's and some of the lodges in Craig or Klawock because they all have vacancies during the winter and the rates are reasonable. Then, before the busy season starts, she should have a more permanent place located.

For a vehicle, any island beater with a heater will be fine. Keep in mind that there is hardly any business left on the island who can provide automotive repair service and the nearest dealer of any kind is a ferry ride away in K-town. What I'm trying to say is that local warranty repair on a late model vehicle is not available and I've seen late model vehicles shipped to Seattle for warranty work. Yea, crazy stuff.

With that said, I recommend keeping it simple, and in my mind, the perfect island vehicle would be a 2005-2010 Ford ranger pickup with a 4-banger, 5 speed and a canopy shell. Anybody can fix it, cheap to drive and insure and it will get the job done. 2wd or 4wd. The little pickup will provide some ground clearance in case she wants to explore the island. I say Ford ranger, because there is a Ford dealer in Ketchikan and because most shops have some sort of generic automotive diagnostic software to work on Fords, parts are easy to locate and that particular vehicle has not changed much and there isn't anything exotic about it that will trip up the average Tech. An island rig will rust out before it wears out.

My .02$ Good luck,

Coaldust

Good recommendation by Coaldust.

Hard to beat a Ford Ranger.I have a 2000 two wheel drive and no real problems winter or summer.Lots of weight in the back with pop-up camper.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Thank you for all your responses. It is a huge change from Oregon and we appreciate all the posts.