Thread: Another SPOT rescue in Alaska

Default Another SPOT rescue in Alaska

Kind of a strange story but SPOT got him rescued.

http://newsminer.com/view/full_story...dow_left_top_1

Well it's good to know that it works up here I carry mine everytime I venture out.
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

I've used mine multiple times and it's always worked as advertised. Never had to call in a real emergency but for a few bucks more added to my annual subscription I'm insured for helicopter extraction and more so that's a little re-assuring.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskafilm View Post
    I've used mine multiple times and it's always worked as advertised. Never had to call in a real emergency but for a few bucks more added to my annual subscription I'm insured for helicopter extraction and more so that's a little re-assuring.

I need to renew my service and I was wondering about the helicopter extraction insurance. I paid for it last time around as I would rather the National Guard/Troopers get reimbursed if they ever need to save my hide. That being said, I know they don't charge for their services, so would they actually submit a claim for reimbursement if someone held rescue insurance? If not, then I probably won't bother with that expense next time around. Again, I'd rather they be paid, but if it's not going to happen either way then all I'm doing is donating money to the underwriter of the insurance policy.

I hear what you're saying, Brian. Actually, I didn't know the AST/ANG didn't seek reimbursement for rescue. But in any case it was so cheap I got it. But in some cases a private carrier might make the pickup if there are life-threatening injuries or if you're floating a river in Costa Rica or fishing in Siberia (like we got money..) and poo goes south you're covered anywhere in the world.
    I can see not getting it.

It's been a few years (2004) since I was doing rescue with the guard, so my info may be outdated, but No, the rescues were paid for by the taxpayer (usually). I was based out of Bethel, so if the person was Native, the YKHC paid for medevac services, but otherwise, if services were requested by the Troopers, the guard billed AK Dept of Public Safety. I'm completely unaware, and would be surprised if DPS in turn billed private insurance. I remember that getting a SAR or medevac was a good deal for the Guard, since we were reimbursed for $3350 per flight hour by the state or YKHC, rather than the $800 per hour by the military. The extra (not really extra, since it costs A LOT more than $800 PH to run a blackhawk) went into spare parts, and additional training for the crews.