Thread: Arctic fox research project

Exclamation Arctic fox research project

Hi,

I am a wildlife biologist from Germany and I am interested in foxes. For a new genetics study I need fresh tissue samples from an arctic fox.

So if you go hunting for arctic foxes frequently, it would be fantastic if you could help me with my study and send me some tissue samples from a newly killed fox.

What I would need from you is to put 4-5 pea-sized pieces of fresh tissue (liver, brain, and muscle) into a small tube with a stabilizing reagent in it, which I would of course send to you beforehand.

If you can help me, I will be happy to send you more details, incl. all the sampling material you would need.

Best,
    Verena

Quote Originally Posted by fox research View Post
    Hi,

I am a wildlife biologist from Germany and I am interested in foxes. For a new genetics study I need fresh tissue samples from an arctic fox.

So if you go hunting for arctic foxes frequently, it would be fantastic if you could help me with my study and send me some tissue samples from a newly killed fox.

What I would need from you is to put 4-5 pea-sized pieces of fresh tissue (liver, brain, and muscle) into a small tube with a stabilizing reagent in it, which I would of course send to you beforehand.

If you can help me, I will be happy to send you more details, incl. all the sampling material you would need.

Best,
    Verena
    send strangerinastrangeland a PM or write on his profile if you can't yet send Pm's
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Yeah, SIASL would be a good source for this. Most of us don't live where there are arctic fox but there are a few Nome, Kotz, Barrow folks that do.

I might be able to help. Drop me an e-mail at pollenenv@gmail.com

I 'Might' be able to help you, but I have to call my son and ask him if he has any carcass's around, he may have disposed of them I donno.
    As for more, Im in Kotz, there might be one or two around, but again, it aint in my hands......
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
    I 'Might' be able to help you, but I have to call my son and ask him if he has any carcass's around, he may have disposed of them I donno.
    As for more, Im in Kotz, there might be one or two around, but again, it aint in my hands......

Hi,

thanks a lot for offering help!

I already wrote to some people, and hopefully we will soon be able to start with the lab work.

One more thing: For the study I already mentioned, I would need a freshly killed animal. But if you have some carcasses, we could still use them for another project. There we want to study several individuals, and we would need muscle and skin samples (with fur), which could be preserved in alcohol.

Hello from Germany,
    Verena

i know of a few people trapping fox around kotz, i've shot a few myself but all are just red fox. i haven't heard of anyone trying for arctic fox....chip you need to get on that. if i find out anyone whose catching any i'll se what i can do to help. they are a very interesting creature.

Lightbulb

Hi all,

Thank you very much for offering to help me!

Right now, it appears that we have a contact here in Europe who can help us, which will be easier with permits etc. So for now, it seems that we will get a really fresh sample.

In the meantime, we are interested in samples we could use for a DNA work with several individuals. These samples do not have the same high requirements on freshness (sample quality).

So if you have access to any fox (arctic, red, ) muscle and/or skin tissue, please let me know. It could be shipped easily, stored in a small tube in ethanol which I would be sending to you beforehand.

Best,
    Verena