Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 40

Thread: What the heck! A tikka that weighs 5lbs 8 ounces????

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Wasilla, Ak
    Posts
    3,898

    Default What the heck! A tikka that weighs 5lbs 8 ounces????

    Of all the die hard sheep hunters on these forums none of them, zilch, zero have mentioned the Tikka superlites that Tikka claims wieghs in at 5 lbs 8 ounces.
    So I went and searched some other forums I hang out at and there are some **** good reviews on these rifles. Most have them coming in 5lbs 10 ounces to 5lbs 12ounces, for those of you who don't know these are being made excuslively for sportsmanwarehouse and cabelas.
    I stopped in at sportsman and looked at them extremely light and for 699 bucks has to be one of the cheapest made light weight rifles on the market. Anyhow what I would like to know who up here has one and if it is in a 300 win mag how does it shoot and what is the recoil like.?

    Once Again the sheep hunters have let us all down.....

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Washington state
    Posts
    97

    Default

    I was at a friends range a month or so ago and an individual was there who had bough a Tikka light weight. He was there to get scope mounted and to shoot it in. He shot a few shots from the bench and declared it kicked too much for him. He asked me if I wanted to shot it. Sure!! I sat down on the ground and sighted it in at the 200 yard line with about a 4" group. He thought I was a real tough guy. It was a 300 mag and it wasn't painful to shoot but that light barrel did whip up some and I needed to really concentrate and follow through to make a good shot but I could do it. They are cheaply made but I think of good design and materials. I think he said he paid about $550 from Cabelas's. The scope stayed on and I could hit with it but the Sako A-7 "Bucks of Tecomate" Rifle is much nicer and more shootable and a 1/2 MOA rifle. This one was Murphy's and he took it to Argentina or Australia or Austria or one of those "A" countries. The SAKO A-7 was in 300 WSM.
    Mike
    _______________________________________
    "The rifle brought man out of the mud". Cooper

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Veneta, OR
    Posts
    1,156

    Default

    as I write this I am looking at my Tikka T3 308 with Talley mounts and a Leupold 6x36 sitting on the scale weighing in at 7lb 1.5oz - to the untrained eye it may look "cheap" but it sure shoots and the SAKO heads sure have been quizzing their SAKO smiths on why the Tikka's outsell the SAKO's while shooting, on average, better ... and for around 60% of the cost - (BTW, you all know Beretta owns both companies right?) another BTW, I believe the math on that weight makes the 308 6lb 6oz which is close to what they advertise

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Wasilla, Ak
    Posts
    3,898

    Default

    These tikkas have fluted barrels (hence superlites) on them they are the same barrel that Sako uses on there finnlite rifles (I read that on another forum). One fellow claimed 6.6 lbs with a scope on his 300 win mag. Oh on the Baretta thing yeah they have owned them for a longtime.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.
    Posts
    8,802

    Default

    A light-weight rifle is appealing for Sheep Hunting where every 1/2 ounce seems to count.

    However, there is NO WAY, I'd want a 5 lb. 12 oz. 300 Mag.

    How long is the Barrel?

    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    Once Again the sheep hunters have let us all down.....
    Yes its the sheep hunters responsibility to spoon feed you all the info....

    While a great low price option, the rifle I currently run had more of the features I was looking for in a lighter weight package. Albeit it was 40% more money.

    Again great option especially for the price, sorry we failed to inform you....

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Wasilla, Ak
    Posts
    3,898

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    Yes its the sheep hunters responsibility to spoon feed you all the info....

    While a great low price option, the rifle I currently run had more of the features I was looking for in a lighter weight package. Albeit it was 40% more money.

    Again great option especially for the price, sorry we failed to inform you....
    HAHAHAHAHA spoonfeed me LOL it was a joke just as I'm assuming you were joking if not then hey oh well. I read about these guns awhile back and was just curious to see why no one on here has said anythign about them. I'm just a broke PFC trying to eek out a living and the kimber is way out of my price range. I figure I can afford the Tikka eventually, supposed to be getting promoted next month.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Wasilla, Ak
    Posts
    3,898

    Default

    24 inch tubes on the mags

  9. #9

    Default

    323, jokes are supposed to be funny!
    "When the time comes for a man to look his Maker in the eye, where better could the meeting be held than in the wilderness?"

  10. #10
    Member Yellowknife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    803

    Default

    My partner used one this year sheep hunting. .300 WM version. It kicked hard, shot decent, killed the things he pointed it at. Didn't break or rust. He paid $500 to a guy that had shot it for exactly 5 rounds.

    The only thing of interest I noticed was that the 24" barrel Tikka was very close to the same OAL length as the 26" barrel Remington I was carrying. Looked like a combination of a longish action and a long LOP possibly provided by the pre-fit Limbsaver (required on that gun). It was plenty light but not overly "handy" for a backpack gun.



    Yk

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Wasilla, Ak
    Posts
    3,898

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tailwind View Post
    323, jokes are supposed to be funny!
    **** well heres one for you Joe Paterno walks into a police station....

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Wasilla, Ak
    Posts
    3,898

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yellowknife View Post
    My partner used one this year sheep hunting. .300 WM version. It kicked hard, shot decent, killed the things he pointed it at. Didn't break or rust. He paid $500 to a guy that had shot it for exactly 5 rounds.

    The only thing of interest I noticed was that the 24" barrel Tikka was very close to the same OAL length as the 26" barrel Remington I was carrying. Looked like a combination of a longish action and a long LOP possibly provided by the pre-fit Limbsaver (required on that gun). It was plenty light but not overly "handy" for a backpack gun.



    Yk

    Thanks I think this light weight stuff is for the birds I'm not about getting my ass whooped everytime i pull the trigger. I think I will just get me a model 70 in a 325 wsm and call it a day...

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Veneta, OR
    Posts
    1,156

    Default

    as advertised the Tikka T3 has a 24 3/8" WSM, standard & magnum barrel and 22 3/8" short (ie: 7/08 or 308) they come with rings that mount into the receiver recesses and I shot maybe 90 rounds through a SS 338 with those factory rings with no problems whatsoever (but I talked like Elmer Fudd for 10 days after those sessions at the bench) Never did get it to shoot worth a darn with anything then I saw a picture on this forum of one blown up and retired the rifle .... I have to say that 3 CM 270 WSM's I have set up for friends are the most accurate out of the box with factory ammo rifles I have EVER shot, 2 were 4 shot 1 HONEST hole at 100 w/ WW ballistic tip 130's and the rifles came to me 3 years apart but then I had a SS 300 WSM that shot worse than that 338, it was for my son so I had it custom barrelled by John Noveske (that was back when you could get a turn bolt gun done by him) in 270 WSM that is now a sweet rifle - Tikka T3's are a good bargain for the money but a little bit of a gamble I guess ... I have yet to hear of a "bad" .308 though, one in 7/08 would be sweet

  14. #14
    Member Yellowknife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    803

    Default

    One note on those Tikka Rings. Lots of people complain that the screws are soft and the allen heads strip out. I think most of those people would have better luck if they used a metric wrench instead of the very slightly undersized SAE one.

    I still replaced them with Talley's though.

    Yk

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Veneta, OR
    Posts
    1,156

    Default

    IMHO, lightweight rifles that will shoot are the best invention to come along since canned fish .... At the ripe young age of 60, packin' a 6 1/2 lb rifle beats an 8 pounder any day, all day - I seem to have minimal trouble shooting from field positions as some have opined BUT that is just me .... UNLESS it kicks the livin' daylights out of me, I will be packin' and hopefully shootin' a Kimber Montana chambered for a 338 WSM wildcat spittin' 210 Scirocco's and same POA A-Frame 225's in my pocket but then again ... we'll see

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Veneta, OR
    Posts
    1,156

    Default

    Yellowknife - Smart choice I think .... better lookin' too

  17. #17
    Member hunterelk2002's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Mancos, CO
    Posts
    48

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    Of all the die hard sheep hunters on these forums none of them, zilch, zero have mentioned the Tikka superlites that Tikka claims wieghs in at 5 lbs 8 ounces.
    So I went and searched some other forums I hang out at and there are some **** good reviews on these rifles. Most have them coming in 5lbs 10 ounces to 5lbs 12ounces, for those of you who don't know these are being made excuslively for sportsmanwarehouse and cabelas.
    I stopped in at sportsman and looked at them extremely light and for 699 bucks has to be one of the cheapest made light weight rifles on the market. Anyhow what I would like to know who up here has one and if it is in a 300 win mag how does it shoot and what is the recoil like.?

    Once Again the sheep hunters have let us all down.....
    I bought the T3 lite in 7MM MAG, it kicks like a mule, not a gun you want to shoot much other than to hunt with.

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Veneta, OR
    Posts
    1,156

    Default

    OOOOPS ! forgot to mention that you GOTTA install a prefit Limbsaver pad on it ! even my 308 kicked me mercilessly without it ...

  19. #19
    Member alaskabliss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    1,419

    Default

    I have the T3 Superlight in 30-06 and it is a great gun for me. It does have a limbsaver on it but even my 12 yo son is shooting it and he usually doesnt like recoil. These guns get a lot of grumbles from some people but for the money I don't see where you can go wrong. Someone will post a picture of a blown up T3 and everyone will stay clear of them. What about other rifle manufactures that have blown up guns? Remington ring any bells? If your looking for a great and accurate rifle then this would be a good one.

  20. #20
    Member Milo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,472

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    **** well heres one for you Joe Paterno walks into a police station....
    .... No he doesn't.

    If you are going to quote South Park......
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •