Thread: helmets/visors/goggles What do you use?

Default helmets/visors/goggles What do you use?

Last year I bought my wife a new helmet and sinister gogles from 501....the only trip she got to make with them she fogged up super bad and it was a real PITA. I even got the fan with the goggles...

Maybe we were using them wrong or ?

What do you wear to keep from fogging up?

Are there different conditions that you use different equipment?

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    Last year I bought my wife a new helmet and sinister gogles from 501....the only trip she got to make with them she fogged up super bad and it was a real PITA. I even got the fan with the goggles...

Maybe we were using them wrong or ?

What do you wear to keep from fogging up?

Are there different conditions that you use different equipment?
    does she fog up other setups? i can tell ya one thing, people just startin wearing goggles or even safety glasses in cold weather fog them up left and right, you should see new guys up on the oil rigs, they can't keep the fog off their glasses for 2 seconds when they go outside, lot of it is how you breath and if you look down while ur breathing and stuff like that, but goggles few tips to keep them from not fogging up would be take them off when u stop, don't exhale while looking down, possibly try a no fog or breath deflector, i posted in a thread a while back to show someone how i rigged up my open face helmets, i'll see what i can find.. http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ht=#post888211
    there's a link to an old thread if u wanna see what i wear, i wear a no fog, balaclava, open face helmet and goggles, i only use the no fog when its like 0 or colder though. most the time when someone is fogging up though its when they are leaving their goggles on when stopped taking a break or talkin too much or somethin, so just take em off when u stop and hang em on the handlebars, i can wear my 509 goggles in my 509 helmet with no fogging problems without using the breath deflector or the nofog... here's a great article about fog and goggles, some of it doesn't apply cuz its talking about prescription goggles, but most of it does http://www.pro-vue.com/fog.html, just remember couple things, put the goggles on right b4 you are ready to go, take them off right after you come to a stop, that should help out, hope this will help a little bit...

I have two setups.....I have a motocross with goggles for above zero conditions I also wear a no fog mask. Below zero I wear a full face with a fully enclosed nose and mouth cone, venting to the rear of the helmet, which do freeze shut sometimes but those are some heavy breathing days. I also have the heated shield for this helmet.

No-Fog Mask.

I am a woman, I wear a motocross helmet, a balaclava, a no fog mask and 509 goggles. That combo not only keeps me from fogging up (even when I'm stuck and digging) but also leaves no exposed skin on my face or neck. It works perfectly for me and I've ridden in temps as cold as -20F without any fogging issues.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

Another No-Fog believer. Motocross style helmet. My goggles come off whenever I stop and either hang from my Quik Straps or go under the cowling to stay warm. I found no advantage to the more expensive 509 or Dragon goggles so I just run plain jane double lense Smiths or Scotts.

Kenai pen, in summer. Matsu vally in winter

I use what 80 % of the irond dog racer's ust to use open faced helmet regular scott goggles and a scott motorcross nose and mouth gard. I tape up vents in the the nose gard. I always have a extra set of goggle's For when is is warm out and its snowing the wet stuff. I figured if it was working great for the iron doggers it was good enuf for me. and i love that combo you are not exposed at all and you dont fog up
    Attached Images Attached Images

I wear a No-Fog mask and use Scott goggles, it seems to work good.

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Another No-Fog believer. Motocross style helmet. My goggles come off whenever I stop and either hang from my Quik Straps or go under the cowling to stay warm. I found no advantage to the more expensive 509 or Dragon goggles so I just run plain jane double lense Smiths or Scotts.
    Me three...this set up keeps me comfy down to -20ish. By the way, Turtle Fur brand balaclavas are the bomb-diggity and I always carry spares in case I have to take my helmet off for any length of time. Squeezing a thinly haired noggin into a frozen balaclava is one of those things you quicky decide, after having done it once, you never want to do again.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

I use a motocross helmet and smith goggles with a balaclava when it is above zero. I always take them off when stopped, and carry spare goggles. I use a scorpion helmet with heated shield below zero, it is much warmer, and never fogs up. On a Tok to Dawson run a couple years back, it was awesome, as the temps got down to -60. Many people with goggles were resorting to duct tape on their faces to help prevent frostbite.

Which NO-FOG mask are you folks using? (on my initial post I meant 509 not 501)... Will they fit inside of this helmet? http://www.509films.com/store/509-pink-collection.html

Are the no-fog usa brand what everyone is using?

The 509 I bought her is not an open face helmet.....but it does have a deflector inside....

Bull, NoFog is the brand name. All the dealerships and accessory stores carry them. They're not cheap but worth every penny. They have a built-in deflector "snout" that seals around the nose and vents breath moisture down and away from the goggles. They work like a champ.

The only thing about them I don't like is the mouth vent is a bit small so I enlarged it a bit with scissors
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

Is there a difference between the no-fogs and the fog evaders and/or the cheaper versions here:

http://www.hiperf.com/cgi-bin/sh0000...FOGFM#aNOFOGFM

Guess I should go down to Marita or AK Mining/Diving and take a look-see.

Thanx - this might help.....

I have a Fog Evador and compared it to my friends No Fog last week. The Fog Evador is a little stiffer in the neoprene fabric in the nose and mouth area and the No Fog has a wider adjustable strap with velcro that goes over your head. My fog evador works for me but I like the adjustability of the No Fog. My friend has used both and prefers the No Fog.