Thread: meatless in fairbanks!!

Default meatless in fairbanks!!

This was my first year bow hunting for big game, i have struck out on everything!! i have one week of moose hunting left in the fairbanks mangagement area. if anyone has any advice they are willing to share it would be greatly appriceated!!!! cover they like in winter, is calling still effictive, is the rut still on what are they feeding on should i be looking in the hills or down in the flats? or if you know a good spot to go......... with out giving up your secret spot of course lol!!

tks, josh

welcome to the forum, around here the rut is long done, I don't know what the hunting is like, but if you find some thick willow stands, hunt in those, if you can get away from teh crowds a bit it would be best, you can sneak up on them pretty easily this time of year, if there are any farms ask them to hunt there, but they might have already been pounded. if you can, just get out in brush, hiking out off the road where more people don't go, blaze around on the snowmachine or take the snowshoes, they will be in open areas along roads and trails too, I'm sure, in the morning, if you can get out right after a snow take up the tracks and follow them. be sure to take your bow to work if you drive past the legal area for incase you see one to or from. I would think they would be down in the flats. but they like willows, I know that. by the way, don't pass up on any grouse or ptarmigan eather, a little meat is better than nothing, and you won't be scaring any game like you would with a rifle.
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

go over to the "hunting forum" and look at the FMA moose hunting thread, there might be some to be gleaned, or PM one of the guys that is going.
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

There's a young bull out near the gold mine/rock quarry neat Fox, a buddy has been seeing him cross Goldstream Rd a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by fredbearwannabe View Post
    This was my first year bow hunting for big game, i have struck out on everything!! i have one week of moose hunting left in the fairbanks mangagement area. if anyone has any advice they are willing to share it would be greatly appriceated!!!! cover they like in winter, is calling still effictive, is the rut still on what are they feeding on should i be looking in the hills or down in the flats? or if you know a good spot to go......... with out giving up your secret spot of course lol!!

tks, josh
    Small unit man, drive it and see for yourself! People always wants handouts now days. My dad and buddy have seen a ton of moose and for whatever keep missing bulls, 3 shots none dead. So they are out there, just drive and find them, that is what they are doing. Easiest way to hunt and scout dude.

You are a jerk!

Quote Originally Posted by FurFishGame View Post
    you can sneak up on them pretty easily this time of year,
    What moose are you hunting? Had 2 blown stalks. Nothing easy about it. Got from 400 yards, to 70 yards. Cow busted me. I have a few choice words for her

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Springer View Post
    There's a young bull out near the gold mine/rock quarry neat Fox, a buddy has been seeing him cross Goldstream Rd a bit.
    A guy in a yellow ford fusion got him this morning....IDK if anyone knows him!?

Well if he went there after reading my post, he better drop off a back strap to me ;o)

Quote Originally Posted by HuntAK59 View Post
    What moose are you hunting? Had 2 blown stalks. Nothing easy about it. Got from 400 yards, to 70 yards. Cow busted me. I have a few choice words for her
    Not hunting, but I take alot of pictures and I have no problem getting with in 10 yards as long as you take it slow and easy

Quote Originally Posted by FurFishGame View Post
    Not hunting, but I take alot of pictures and I have no problem getting with in 10 yards as long as you take it slow and easy
    Lol. Somehow they know!! Suckers r smart. I'm telling u they know lol

I took a nice bull in the FMA last Tuesday. Got a 30 yard shot direct to the lung. 3 and 4 brow tines with a 45 inch spread. Saw another bull and got within 20 yards, but did not have a good shot. Saw 7 cows.

Awesome congrats gafc. Do you have any pictures? The biggest bull I've taken in the FMA was a 40" goofy racked drop tine bull. I've only seen a few nice bulls in all the years I've hunted it.

I cannot figure out how. The "attach image" wants me to use a url and I just want to attach the photo.

gafc, when that window pops up and says choose url, click the "desktop" button to the left of it. Then, you're golden. after your image selection is done, click on "upload image." hope this helps, bro.

larry