Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Summer sheep hunt prep trials

Default Summer sheep hunt prep trials

I have been thinking about this for the past couple years and finally figured I would toss it out for comment. I would like to set up what I hope will end up being an annual gathering of sheep hunters. The goal would be a weekend camping trip with a few events. A gear demo with various optics and equipment so people can check them out in the field. A couple off trail get in shape hikes. Then a few scored field scenarios shooting at steel plates in simulated sheep hunting situations from several shooting positions. All done semi remote off the road system. Depending on success we can look at alternating locations each year between interior and south central.

Sounds like a good way to get ready for the season and meet a few of you sheep nuts.Unless I get lucky enough to have to spend my time scouting a draw tag I would love to hit the hills with ya.

Would be sweet if we could find someone to do a simple field medicine class and some basic self arrest training!

Depending on when/where it is and what I got going on, I might be down for tagging along on this.

Summers are tough for most everyone,it seems everyone is on the run..fishing etc......it might be better to try and have a get together at someones house or eleswhere durring the winter months when we are at idle....meet folks and plan hikes etc... from there..just a thought....
    I ♥ Big Sheep

Holy **** will we get a tab afterwards???? You know like RANGER school if so count me in!!! The TAB if there is one should say SHEEP on it and we can wear it with pride.

I've actually been thinking of something similar for about a year now. Great idea. I think it would be fun to have a get together at a park, do a BBQ, gear session, etc. Doing it in South Central would make the hiking part a little easier as the mountain hiking is more plentiful here than in Fairbanks.

As mentioned above, my summers are pretty busy, and time off from work is precious. But...I'd be interested in meeting you guys and hanging out. Not sure if I'd have time for a long hike, but if it was a day hike I could probably swing it.

I'd be interested in that...sounds like a great time.

I'm quickly becoming a bona fide sheep nut.

The only way this thing could/would be legit is if Northway shows up... If he is a NO show then this get together will be all for nothing...

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    The only way this thing could/would be legit is if Northway shows up... If he is a NO show then this get together will be all for nothing...
    No argument there

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I have been thinking about this for the past couple years and finally figured I would toss it out for comment. I would like to set up what I hope will end up being an annual gathering of sheep hunters. The goal would be a weekend camping trip with a few events. A gear demo with various optics and equipment so people can check them out in the field. A couple off trail get in shape hikes. Then a few scored field scenarios shooting at steel plates in simulated sheep hunting situations from several shooting positions. All done semi remote off the road system. Depending on success we can look at alternating locations each year between interior and south central.
    I like the idea, much could be learned from checking out each others gear and experience.

I have attended gathering of sheep hunters for the last few years at places like Happy Valley, 40 Mile Air, ect... Would be much nicer to have one like this instead.

I would be up for a gathering, maybe we can have a few so that folks could work them in with a busy summer.

Maybe even have a cook out.

Would be nice to bring some sets of horns to hold and age.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    Holy **** will we get a tab afterwards???? You know like RANGER school if so count me in!!! The TAB if there is one should say SHEEP on it and we can wear it with pride.
    Sheep Tabs are much harder to earn my friend and are worn in blood and ink!!!!

Founding Member

Sounds like an awesome idea to me. I'd love to put faces to a lot of the names on here and I'm always game to talk about sheep hunting, gear, rifles etc. Somewhere to practice extreme uphill/downhill shots would be awesome too. However, I'm a no-go for all of next season unless I can find a sheep in the ghan.

Yeah I have fallen short of earning mine on several attempts! It will happen though, I don't feel bad about this season one bit. My partner had much more on the line as this may have been his last chance and he deserved his ram!

Steve, I love that tat!

Quote Originally Posted by bnkwnto View Post
    I'm a no-go for all of next season unless I can find a sheep in the ghan.
    I am sure we can round up some sheep or goats but they just won't be the same!

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Sheep Tabs are much harder to earn my friend and are worn in blood and ink!!!!

You hear that crying.... It's the U.S Army crying... Let's put it this way (insert scratching my head) trying to be nice here uh well if you never mind nice tat (insert shaking my head).

Every a-hole in a-stan u tip over is worth two sheep IMO. Be safe.

323,, that Ranger Tab impressed me at one time. Not saying that there are not some tough, hardcore Rangers, just saying that the Tab sure is not a measure of the man by any standard.

My sheep partner this year is a Ranger and he tapped out and wanted to go home at 12:30am on the 10th of Aug, 30 minutes into the opener, after he missed 2 give me shots. Now he did stick it out and fill his tag, but like the beer commercial, (that sure was unmanly) "didn't know we were going to spend the night"??? My response, (we have only been hunting 30 minutes), "we aren't spending the night, just waiting for daylight".

PS: at least you seem trainable, nice response.

Steve
    Founding Member

I have a 50% chance of even being in town for this and then if I am not out chasing bears at that time or packrafting, lets make it happen. Weekends are good for me usually cause I do most of my hunting during the week.

Being that I don't work all summer, nor do I ever waste time to get in shape for sheep hunting, I am sure I will have to be a no show.

All you need is a pack, sleeping bag, and a blue tarp. Oh, don't forget the rifle.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast