Thread: Bait sets...

Question Bait sets...

Set 1: I wired a beaver carcass up into a set of three trees. I placed two foot holds about a foot out and snared the area. I've been checking everyother day, sometimes i'll leave it three days. It's been out for about 2 eeks now and got hit about 5 days ago. The fox came in on my path, dodged a snare and circled the bait just inside the foot holds. In fact, he stepped on one, but not the pan so it didn't set off. On his way out he dodged another snare. I've boiled & dyed all my traps/snares and used scent washed gloves to keep human odor off them. I moved the snares a bit for better placement and moved the footholds in on the racecar track this fox made around the carcass. Did I mess this set up by moving that stuff around & how often should I be checking this set? I've seen a silver in the area and the last thing I want is for him to get caught and then taken out by other critters.

Set 2: I dug a dirthole set into an embankment and placed some scrap meat down in the hole. A #2 about 10 inches outside the hole. I had a fox circle around over the top of the dirthole and came from behind, rather than in front of the hole. It's been set for about 2 weeks now and hasn't had any other activity other than that. My thought is I should move to a different location that would keep the animals coming from behind... but again, how often should I be checking this out & is my trail in there going to spook these guys out? It's right off one of my snowmachine trails, but when setting, I made a pretty define path up to the dirt hole...

What are you using for backing on your dirthole set? if you don't use some kind of backing(i.e a stick, small log, rock) they will often come into the set opposite from the side of the trap. You also run a bigger risk of educating the animal if say they step on the jaws of the trap and not the pan, and the trap goes off. Also I have found that almost every time I have moved a trap or snare on a set, that i come back to find tracks on the trail where the snare was, or on the exact spot I set the foothold. Any how have fun and good luck.

Supporting Member

When the target animal avoids your snares, just add additional snares on his new trails. Sooner or later he'll mess up and be there waiting for you to collect him. Once set, my gear stays in place until the end of the season. I just add additional gear as required.

Put in more snares there cheap and the more you set the better you get at it. Dont pull your current sets expand your line. Check time, on a weekly schedule with my sets. Unless state law requires otherwise I prefer once a week do to human scent and just presents. With your footholds put something like a cheap plastic baggy or wax paper down so the trap doesn't freeze to the ground. I also do the same thing over the pan. I aPply a very light coating of snow from waist height to over it. Less is more in this case. We get enough snow naturally around here. Good Luck!

Default scent control

okay guys is scent control that crucial with K9s? I have only had experience with cats and marten. trying some K9 stuff this year and so far have not had one come within 20 feet of my sets but I have not dyed or waxed my traps and have not been practicing scent control. Am i an Idiot and if so can I get some advice?
    Hunt, Fish and drink beer with friends.........because life is to short to work all day.

I've been doing my best with scent control and it seems like they haven't cared/noticed any of the snares or traps I've put out. I boil for about an hour with baking soda, then I throw into a due pit and simmer for an hour-ish, then straight to my trapping tote where they stay. All the transferring I use rubber gloves to keep my scent off. When handling on the line, I take off my warming gloves and put on a pair of my AIH gloves that have been washed in scent free detergent and stores in a zip lock bag. Seems to work quite well. I had a fox come about 10ft into a lynx set (where I don't mind my scent control) and he scampered off. Looks like he got close enough to realize something was up and bolted....

thanks AKP, it seems as though I may be the stinky kid in the woods and need to get my act together. The cotton gloves in the bag sounds like a great idea, I'll put that in my bag O' tricks this weekend. I also talked to some who change gloves between setting the trap and placing the bait. your thoughts?
    Hunt, Fish and drink beer with friends.........because life is to short to work all day.

When I handle the bait, I carry some rubber insulated gloves to keep my scent off the bait... Never heard of anyone else doing it, just something I've come to trying myself.

Also, I've been given some advice for K9s... Make it difficult for those guys to see your bait. I was told to try spreading out handfulls of small pieces of bait to get then roaming around to find it and it helps keep them moving around... I'm heading out tomorrow to give it a go and see how it works....

Oh and something else to help out with swapping gloves... I use to keep my scent free gloves inside my trapping box but with that cold snap we're in, I found that keeping a bag of gloves against my chest inside some layers will keep from having to put frozen gloves on my hands and helps out... Common sense? Yup, but it took a few digits nearly falling off for me to think of it... Save you some head ache...

thanks again AKP. I'll put all of this to work and see how it turns out. I hope that you and all the others here have a great Thanksgiving and wish you all full trap lines over the holidays.

Thanks Virginia! Same to you and everyone else, enjoy the holidays and best wishes on the your lines!