Thread: 3/32 cable used as wire?

Default 3/32 cable used as wire?

Getting ready to put out some lynx (or any other large furbearer that happens along) sets up and I'm wanting to use a single strand of 3/32 cable (drowning cables) to attach to a tree. The cable attaches to a chain, double swivel in the chain (MB 650 traps) and the cable is able to swival around the base of the tree. Is the cable strong enough? All my Cables are crimped, do I need them tac welded (can you even tac weld something like this)? Figured is was better than #9 wire since it wont break as easy.

thanks

I should say this is what I've been doing for fox with #2 Northwoods and it works great. They are just a lot smaller than some of the other furbearers. I also like the cable because you can hide it really easy in the snow.

thanks again

Supporting Member

I use the 7x7x3/32 cable as 10 foot extension cables to tie off my traps and have never had an issue. That specific cable has a 920 pound breaking strength.

I went to all cable last year and love the way it holds. I was starting to lose a trap once in a while mainly to otter working the wire until it broke. I did not lose a single trap with the cable. I make a small loop on one end using a double ferrule then put a snare swivel on the other end. You can pass the snare swivel through the loop and fasten the trap with a guick connect link. If fastening to the end of a limb or something that might slip off I put a staple over the cable so it can not slide off. I made most of mine about three feet long and that length worked fine in most places. You can loop two or more of them together and make them as long as you need them. I use 3/32 cable to make these. I also use this same cable to make cable stakes for coyotte and bobcats. Have not had anything break it yet.