Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fbks area updates

Default Fbks area updates

Just curious what others are seeing on their lines in terms of catches and sign. I'm working a shorter foot/snowshoe line (~5-6 miles long) south of Fbks off of the Parks Hwy. Taken a few marten and thats been about it. Saw some more fresh marten sign yesterday when I was out and one set each of fox and coyote tracks. No cat sign yet, but I figure I'll see some eventually as there are a couple areas along my line that are pretty thick with hares. I'll start hanging snares for cats in another week or two. It seems like the cats and canines are not as abundant as they were last year. Has anyone ever caught a wolverine between Fbks and Nenana? It sure doesn't look like wolverine country from the highway, but I suppose you never know what could be wandering around.

I'm not trapping, but have been out calling successfully this season. Seems like quite a few coyotes and foxes running around. Got a nice female lynx as well a week ago. I'm not seeing a "lot" of lynx sign, but it is there. I've never seen a wolverine, or sign of any between Fairbanks and Nenana area. They might be in there, I simply have not seen it though. Good luck.

Nice. Good job man. Got Pix? I'll be hitting it hard for coyotes this weekend down here in South Central.

Sorry, I don't have any good pics of the fox and lynx. Here's one of a lynx I got yesterday though. 32lb male shot and killed within 10 seconds of starting the stand. New record!!!

It's been a good season to start so far.

snowcamoman

How was the fur on the lynx you just killed? It's hard to tell by the pic. One day I am going to get a lynx........hopefully.

Snowcamoman, what is the light you have mounted on the gun and is that the only light you use when night hunting? Sorry to hijack but I'm guessing others are wondering too. Thanks.

450hunter,
    The fur still has a bit of brown to it. Probably another couple of weeks and it should be totally prime. I have this one slated for some mitts, so it's not a big deal to me.

woundedknee,
    The light is a XLR250, made my Elusive Wildlife Technologies.
    http://www.elusivewildlife.com/index...e&iProduct=279

Great job Snowcamoman! On my way back from a Michigan deer hunt and can't wait to get to callin' !

Thanks for the light info. Curious if u are leaving it on or only on for the shot? And red or white light?

I use the headlamp until I'm ready to take the shot. Then I open the XLR250 up and really light em' up. I'm using straight LED color, which has that bluish hue to it. The animals don't seem to mind the natural LED coloring.

What ru u using for a headlamp. Had a Yote come in and really didn't like the light at all. On a green beam. My red was done with a magic marker still to bright

What ru u using for a headlamp. Had a Yote come in and really didn't like the light at all. On a green beam. My red was done with a magic marker still to bright

I have a Predator light with a custom shroud that I made that works real well. I run it on medium power and can pick up eyes out to 200-300 yards, depending on the clarity of the air and/or ice crystals in the air.

Forgot to add: I keep the lower portion of my beam on the ground, so that the center focus isn't directly in their eyes. The "halo" of my light is what I use to pick up eyes.

Having no knowledge of hunting, what do you do with a Lynx ? skinning/ eating ,mount on wall ?
    Alaska bound !

Skin and use or sell the fur. I give my skulls to a taxidermist friend who uses them and the meat I give to another friend who likes to eat it. Hardly any waste on a cat.

what I would have done for the gun light tonight.....tried going full dark...had a lynx come bounding to 25 yards. Decided I'd hit the light...dumb. WOrse yet, the saftey is hellaciously loud (new rifle), he didnt stick around. I could still see him but not enough for a shot...uggggggg

Called in a yote, came down wind behind me...turn around to see his head. tried an off hand shot strike 2 for the night.

fun night....I'm ordering that thing tomorrow! It would have paid for itself tonight.

On the cats..I've heard (havent tried), they are great eating..buddy of mine loves them. Than again I think he likes liver and heart too LOL.

Lynx is very good to eat.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Thanks for the light info CM. Always helpful!

Hi Snowcamoman,
    very cool 32 # Lynx. Night hunting is a skill I haven't perfected. Would you mind sharing your info on what weapon, bullet, scope and call you prefer for working night cats? I'm moving to FBKs in a week and will continue learning to hunt predators.

I have called in lots of birds, a couple black bear, an otter, a fox and a coyote taking the coyote quite close and ruining the hide with my .243 I have a .22 mag that has a lousy trigger and a single shot 223 that is pretty nice, the .243 would work great for coyote, wolf, etc. but I need to slow it down and probably stick with 80 grain solids.

What do you think of the .17 hmr (the bigger rim fire)? The .22 mag doesn't seem very accurate mine is the Rem auto with the lousy trigger. Your pics and text are great! I would consider the lynx an awesome trophy. Any story about your setup and hunt etc. would be great. Cool stuff. Thank you!! You can't get private messages I guess.

AK Woodsman,
    Here's what I use. I'm shooting a NULA 6PPC with 85gr. FMJ's loaded down to right at 2850fps. In reading Rick Kinmon's book "Hunting the Hunters", that's what he came up with as being one of the best all around, and non fur destrucive bullets/velocity. I'm super happy with it so far and the thing is a real tack driver. Scope is a Zeiss Conquest 3.5x10x44. The call I use is a FoxPro CS-24, custom modified to my specs. I pretty much stick with rabbit distress sounds. You're right about the .243. You can load it down almost identical to the 6PPC setup I'm using. The .17HMR is nice and I've killed critters with it. The downfall of it, especially at night is if you need to shoot through a brushy area. The .17 simply doesn't handly twigs or anything in the way of the target.

I'll tell you all one thing, the CS-24 is without a doubt the toughest built caller out there. I hit a nasty bump going 45mph on the snowmachine and it pitched my CS-24 off onto the hard packed snow. I almost went flying off myself. I looked back to see the caller bounding on the hard snow and smack a big flat rock. I thought for sure the thing would be destroyed. It dented and deformed the speaker, but the caller still works flawlessly. Any other caller and it would've been absolutely destroyed.

Had a pretty good weekend with lots of daytime activity. 4 lynx, 1 red, and 1 cross. Missed out on two other reds as well that winded me. The red came in within 30 seconds on a dead run for the caller and decoy. There was no stopping the thing. When it was a foot from the decoy, it smelled the thing and made a sharp U-turn. I shot low and the fox hit the afterburners across an opening, heading back towards cover. Just as it was about to get into cover, I shot it on the run and dropped the thing. Shot one of the lynx at 250 yards with the XLR250. I didn't want to really take that far of a shot, but the thing simply stopped and wouldn't budge any closer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast