Thread: Winter Gloves

Default Winter Gloves

I sometimes prefer to wear gloves down to about 20 below when having to do work. The dexterity is greatly needed. For a few years, I've been wearing a set of Grandoe Gortex mountaineering gloves which have been decent. The only problem is that the insulation isn't removable. After working and building up perspiration in the gloves, it just seems to stay in them at a rate that isn't easily cast away by the gore-tex. Goretex isn't too breathable when the outside of your gloves are frozen. In fact, gore-tex fails in cold weather and there is no breathing of the material as ice crystals plug the pores of gore tex. I hate waking up to gloves that are like a block of ice.

I'm going back to elk leather gloves and mits with removable liners. At least then, you can bring mulitple types and sets of liners that you can take out to dry near the wood stove. If you can't remove the insulation, consider your gloves worthless.

My grandoe makalu mitts work great with thin work gloves inside. I tether the mitts to my arm and slip my hands out when I need to do work that requires dexterity. They were warm to -30 on a 5 day winter hunt. I have not found any gloves that would compare.

I prefer the dexterity of gloves also and usually opt for gloves over mittens. I'm still seeking the Holy Grail of gloves but recently purchased a pair of the Arcteryx Alpha SV glove with Goretex and removable liners that I'm hoping will meet my needs. They are the best feeling glove I've ever worn but they have yet to really be put to the test in cold temps and wind chill.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

REI has their Black Diamond gloves on sale this weekend 30% off. I picked up a set of leather Guide glove and Virago gloves to try out. Both Gore-tex and the Guide has a removable liner.

Multiple sets of green wool gloves from the surplus store on Spenard and large trigger finger mittens over them when not using my hands.
    "When the time comes for a man to look his Maker in the eye, where better could the meeting be held than in the wilderness?"

Went for a hike today with the dog to try out a new pair of elk leather gloves. The temp was reading 1 degree before I left. We stayed out for about 3 hours hiking off trail, and took a break to admire the snow covered trees. They kept my hands warm, even with no activity.

The only place I was able to find the thick Filson's merino wool gloves, was at Chimo Guns. The don't feel itchy to the skin, quite soft. The XL elkskin gloves had plenty of space to fit the XL sized Filson wool gloves. Elk skin by itself would be good for temps around 20 degrees. It's thick, and soft, and compared to cowhide, the elk leather actually has some natural loft-pockets in the thick leather and traps warmth.

Here was the set I put together, they should be good for 20 below with moderate activity:

http://www.filson.com/products/merin...Cat=true&fvals

I chose two pair of the tan-colored ones:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cloth...3Bcat104004180