Thread: 4x4 not working?

Default 4x4 not working?

About two weeks ago I needed my 4 wheel drive and it worked just fine. A week later when it got colder and it stop working. I took the hubs apart to find out what the problem was; very fine dirt had gotten into one of the hubs and the cold weather made it rock hard.

About two years ago I had to replace them because water has rusted the parts and striped the gears. I took extra care to make sure everything seal and oil/greased them so I would not have any more problems. It turn out the hubs are not seal and there is no way to keep out dirt and water.

I used Lubirplate grease, is there something better for cold weather 4x4 drives?

Now that it gotten colder if you have 4 wheel drive it would be a good time to see if it still works, just in case you need it.

Shouldn't this be in the Polaris forum? Thanks for the suggestion to check.

4X4 Snowmachine? I think this was posted in the wrong area of the forum.

I should have said F250 truck that is used to pull a snowmobile trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by Rutting Moose View Post
    About two weeks ago I needed my 4 wheel drive and it worked just fine. A week later when it got colder and it stop working. I took the hubs apart to find out what the problem was; very fine dirt had gotten into one of the hubs and the cold weather made it rock hard.

About two years ago I had to replace them because water has rusted the parts and striped the gears. I took extra care to make sure everything seal and oil/greased them so I would not have any more problems. It turn out the hubs are not seal and there is no way to keep out dirt and water.

I used Lubirplate grease, is there something better for cold weather 4x4 drives?

Now that it gotten colder if you have 4 wheel drive it would be a good time to see if it still works, just in case you need it.
    You know what I am going to say but I will not as I am tired of dodging the things being thrown at me (Amsoil)......what year F-250? Automatic hubs? I have a 2000 and other then having to change the wheel bearing assembly my manual hubs have been flawless.

1999 Ford F250 and yes they were automatic, I replace them with Warn manual hubs and still had problems with them freezing up because of the dirt.

I can't get a brake.

Quote Originally Posted by Rutting Moose View Post
    1999 Ford F250 and yes they were automatic, I replace them with Warn manual hubs and still had problems with them freezing up because of the dirt.

I can't get a brake.
    Any idea where the dirt comes in at? I would think using some RTV or just grease between the mating surfaces should help seal them up.

Yes:
    The part that you turn to switch from normal to 4 wheel drive is not sealed. The only way to keep out water and dirt would be to fill it full of grease and then it would not turn in cold weather.

I put my 92 dodge hubs in before it gets too cold and just leave them in all winter. What if you put a layer of grease in the outer part of the hub to at least stop some of the dirt? ....if the dirt is getting into the hub it could work its way into the bearings....not good.

I use the Amsoil synthetic cold weather stuff on my Ford, never had trouble, I put a fair amount of grease in the hub just for keeping everything out that does not belong.

Quote Originally Posted by kenairmk View Post
    I use the Amsoil synthetic cold weather stuff on my Ford, never had trouble, I put a fair amount of grease in the hub just for keeping everything out that does not belong.
    Yep!!!!! same here

Gotta love my Duramax. Need 4 wheel? Push a button. Actually I preferred my old gas 2500HD that had auto 4WD but the Duramax doesn't have that so I'm forced to push a button when I need it. Dang, I hope I don't sprain a fingernail from the effort. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    Gotta love my Duramax. Need 4 wheel? Push a button. Actually I preferred my old gas 2500HD that had auto 4WD but the Duramax doesn't have that so I'm forced to push a button when I need it. Dang, I hope I don't sprain a fingernail from the effort. :-)
    You actually better hope the engagement selenoid never decides to take a crap. Even though I have newer trucks I still have the manual hubs and still have to pull the lever to engage, talk about no guess work. I have never been sold on the auto systems.

Yah, I hate these new-fangled gadgets. Like remote starters, fuel injection, power windows, heated seats.... Watch out, one of these days some geek will invent a magic box that tells you where you are and how to get where you're going while you drive. :-)

Welcome to the 21st century. Happy Thanksgiving.

Watch out, one of these days some geek will invent a magic box that tells you where you are and how to get where you're going while you drive. :-)

Welcome to the 21st century. Happy Thanksgiving.[/QUOTE]

Huh, I never had to wait for geek to invent that! I have had one for Yr,s!.....I call it my Wife.. LOL.. Happy thanks giving!To All...

I'm with you Mr. Pid. I don't miss the hub maintenance on my Fords one bit since I bought my Chevy.

Quote Originally Posted by SusitnaAk View Post
    Watch out, one of these days some geek will invent a magic box that tells you where you are and how to get where you're going while you drive. :-)

Welcome to the 21st century. Happy Thanksgiving.
    Huh, I never had to wait for geek to invent that! I have had one for Yr,s!.....I call it my Wife.. LOL.. Happy thanks giving!To All...[/QUOTE]

Interesting, apparently mine must be malfunctioning as it only tells me when I am going the wrong way. It never seems to know the right way but boy can it identify any mistakes on my part!

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Huh, I never had to wait for geek to invent that! I have had one for Yr,s!.....I call it my Wife.. LOL.. Happy thanks giving!To All...
    Interesting, apparently mine must be malfunctioning as it only tells me when I am going the wrong way. It never seems to know the right way but boy can it identify any mistakes on my part![/QUOTE]

Happens a lot, huh!

I have a friend here in Fairbanks who owns a new F-350 Ford and he got stuck in a driveway during this severe cold snap we just experienced. His truck wouldn't engage 4x4 and just made rattling noises trying to engage. He took it to Seekins Ford and they gave him a printout stating that Ford was aware of this problem with the 2011 models and that they couldn't guarantee that the 4x4 would engage at temperatures below 2 degrees Fahrenheit. That would be useless in Fairbanks Alaska. I didn't personally see that memo but he told me what it said.