Thread: Question straight wall cartridges

Default Question straight wall cartridges

Just a quick question to the community:

I am loading some 180 hard cast bullets for my 10MM Auto (glock 20). I am seating and crimping in one step with redding dies and about half of the test batch I made have lead pushed off the bullet and onto the case. I tried to get some pictures but as you can see it's hard to get the detail in focus.

Am I just not expanding the case mouth enough and getting this lead shaved off? When I expand the case deeper, it looks pretty bad, I'm just trying to put enough to be able to set the bullet on the case and not have to hold it with my hand on the upstroke for seating/crimping. Any suggestions?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN1172.jpg  
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

When you are seating to final depth with the seating/crimping die screwed down to crimp also, the crimp starts before the seating is complete causing the bullet to move after some crimping. This causes the shaving of lead that you are experiencing.

You really need to crimp in a second step after you seat to AOL then readjusting your seater stem up and screw the die body down for desired crimp. The best way is to use a fourth die, a crimp only die and for the straight wall 10mm you should use a Redding taper crimp. (all rimless pistol rounds should get a taper crimp).
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by MCJonas View Post
    When you are seating to final depth with the seating/crimping die screwed down to crimp also, the crimp starts before the seating is complete causing the bullet to move after some crimping. This causes the shaving of lead that you are experiencing.

You really need to crimp in a second step after you seat to AOL then readjusting your seater stem up and screw the die body down for desired crimp. The best way is to use a fourth die, a crimp only die and for the straight wall 10mm you should use a Redding taper crimp. (all rimless pistol rounds should get a taper crimp).
    I agree. I use the crimp below on .40's and it works great.

http://www.dillonprecision.com/content/p/11

McJonas, I am not quite convinced a fourth die is necessary (although unarguably it makes life much easier). I suggest MNViking try this:

Back the die out a coupls of turns and screw the seating stem in by the same amount. Then seat a bullet without crimping at all. If
    the lead shaving still occurs, the crimp is not contributing (that much).

The belling may be at fault, either by the mandrel not being far enough into the case or by the mandrel being undersized
    Another possibility (less likely, but possible) is that the taper crimp die body of the seat/crimp die might be screwed into the press too far. Not far enough to cause crumpling of the case, but far enough to force the case mouth into the bullet's side and cause shaving just like the picture shows. The solution I proposed in paragraph 2 should resolve this issue, too.

Good luck and thanks for asking our advice.

Lost Sheep