Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is best rifle to bring hunting?

Default What is best rifle to bring hunting?

What is the best rifle for Alaskan hunting? I am a whitetail hunter in Ohio. If I come to Alaska to hunt. What rifle should I bring? I only would be hunting horns and hoves. Would a Winchester 1894 / 32 win special be a good choice? I own a nice one made in 1949. Thanks

Bring the rifle you are most proficient with. What ever rifle is your "go to gun" for hunting where you are at, should be the obvious choice for up here. Animals up here are no more particular about what they get shot with than those in Ohio.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

I thought we all came to the conclusion that unless he's carrying a. .416 loaded with 400g tsx than death by mauling was eminent.

Quote Originally Posted by Bighorse View Post
    I thought we all came to the conclusion that unless he's carrying a. .416 loaded with 400g tsx than death by mauling was eminent.
    And that's just by the critters with the horns and hoofs.

shhhhhhhhsh...That was supposed to be kept quiet...among those annointed with the Secret Handshake...geeeez lueeeez critters gotta have a little fun too, 'ya know!
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Since you are only hunting sheep, deer and goats, the .32 Winchester is not the best choice. Yes it will kill them under the proper conditions but do you want to spend all that money to come here, hire a guide and hunt with gear that is not totally adequate for the job.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

.338 is a good all around caliber.
    BK

Very true I feel this fellow will have a article in adn written about him.

A stainless 30-06 or 300Win mag would be hard to beat

Buy a used 30-06. Every one should own a 30-06, or at least a .308 Win.

Since you are evidently familiar with lever action rifles and want to use one, consider the newer Marlin 336 in 338 MX. Gives you heavy bullets and 30-06 energy out to a couple hundred yards. Comes in Stainless or blue.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Quote Originally Posted by willy1947 View Post
    What is the best rifle for Alaskan hunting? I am a whitetail hunter in Ohio. If I come to Alaska to hunt. What rifle should I bring? I only would be hunting horns and hoves. Would a Winchester 1894 / 32 win special be a good choice? I own a nice one made in 1949. Thanks
    The biggest issue you face is the fact that the entire state is brown bear country. So you take a calculated risk on the unlikely (but possible) chance of having bear problems and needing to deal with that with whatever firearm you have in your hands. From that perspective, the question would not be whether the caliber of choice is adequate for the species you're hunting; the question would be whether it's adequate to deal with a bear situation.

If you set the bear question aside, as many do, then all that's left is whether the caliber of choice is adequate for the species you're hunting, and how comfortable / proficient you are with that particular weapon.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

This thread here: http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...-rifle-caliber will give more opinions than you probably care to read. The 3 most popular are for good reason and represenative of my experience after 35+ years in Alaska. Personaly the .30-06' and .338WM are favorites, ultimately I feel the .338WM is the best all around caliber for North America, but that is a debate that will never end, for there are many fine calibers.

Proficiency with the firearm/caliber should never be overlooked !

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    Since you are only hunting sheep, deer and goats, the .32 Winchester is not the best choice. Yes it will kill them under the proper conditions but do you want to spend all that money to come here, hire a guide and hunt with gear that is not totally adequate for the job.
    hmmm...Didn't realize "deer" had horns. I was thinking he was possiblly looking at coming up and taking a mixed bag of Dall and Fannin Sheep, Goat, Bison, Musk Ox and a Great Horned Owl (but then again, owls don't have "hoves").
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

I know, but horns and hoofs leaves a lot for interpretation. Is he hunting things with horns and things with hoofs or things with horn and hoofs. Either way, the best thing he can do is research on the internet. He could probabaly read for weeks and not get done.

Even if he buys a used appropriate Alaska rifle in the L48, brings it up for the hunt, then sells it up here, he'd be better off.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

M-39 Mosin Nagant.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Yes, unfortunately, we have established this opinion(?) extensively,.... and it's kinda true (?)

What I can hardly believe, is that nobody, yet, has pointed out the "Well Established Critical Truth,..."
    (established among forum advisors anyway)

that,...."ONLY hunting for horns and hooves" is Quite Illegal,...
    there is a law somewhere, that requires you keep meat, isn't there? ,......

okay,... poor attempt at humor,....
    just couldn't resist, as not a soul had "misunderstood the original poster,"....yet

Welcome to the forums, Ohio guy,
    "Bring your deer rifle, you'll feed yourself and family for a long time that way."

and maybe share a little extra with the Local Bear Population while you're at it
    (possibly tho, your "nice one - 1949 model will end up not so nice, after whacking your way through the AK brush ?)
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

He hunts in Ohio and they only have shotgun/archery hunting, thus it is a legitimate question. The .32 would not be ideal for anything up here and in most cases somewhat inadequate. As others have suggested, a 30-06 or bigger and your trip to Alaska will have a much better chance of a happy ending.
    Just one other thing, as long as you are from Ohio. Can you say Michigan State??!!!

okay, making sure I was clearly to everyone, having a sarcasm attack there,

tho, I did use a 25-06 as my sole hunting weapon for quite a few years, and ate well,
    never had to run from a Bear, nor did I feed any through those years,

maybe, cause I was so humble, shivering my way thru the woods with my deer/caribou killer, didn't make mistakes that way

I'm being totally serious now too
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Im totally serious too

7.62X54R is beyond great and .243w in 100grn soft points in a great 'Do all' , but the 30-06 is PERFECT.....to bad theres no Mosin M-39's in 30-06......
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast