Thread: how much gas to bring

Default how much gas to bring

Hey guys,

new to sledding, I've bought a used 2003 trail rmk and planning a trip on the denali hwy. Going in from Cantwell and Probably going to stay at Alpine creek. Going to haul in some hunting gear for predators and small game in a cargo sled. Have a buddy going with me on his 800 but he doesn't have hitch for his so I'll be dragging the cargo. Wondering how much gas I should bring in? I think the tank only holds about 5 gallons, but I have no idea what the mpg rating is, much less how much it will go down hauling the cargo behind me.

Any recommendations? Thanks again!

The tank should ho9ld about 10 or 11 galls if it's stock.
    I'd haul 15 gallons in. Be sure the cans are sealed well so you don't splash fuel on any of your cargo on the way in.
    I believe Alipine lodge also sells fuel, but don't quote me on that.
    BK

My Bearcat has a 17 gal fuel tank, so if I am just 'day trippin' I only take and extra 5 gal. My machine gets about 12 mpg but it still is not broken in well. For longer trips I take at least 15 gals.
    From the post I have read Apline did have fuel so that should not be an issue. When I run the Denali I come in from the Paxson end and this is a fun ride. Be sure to have a camera that you can get to quickly.

Every machine built will get about 110-120 miles or more per tank, depending on the machine. How far is it in, and back? There you go.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

My rule has always been, full tank + 5 Gal. for each day. I do loath walking in 3' or 4' feet of snow. and yes I always have snowshoes.

Nitroman,
    Had a 2004 700 SKS that held 11 gals or so and it would only go 50-60 miles on a tank. It drank gas!

Sounds like you need to give the machine a "shake down" ride before you go haulin loads on a big trip. As others said, your tank should hold 10 - 11 gallons. Fill the tank, go ride 20 miles, and refill to the same level and then you'll know your mpg. 10 mpg should be a conservative estimate, probably 12 mpg. Do the math on how many miles per day you want to ride and figure on getting 10 mpg and then have a little extra. Have fun.

When in doubt bring extra. Better to have to much than not enough.
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,
    Teach a man to fish and he'll also learn to drink, lie, and avoid the honey do list.

All depends how you ride. If you ride nice and easy into the lodge you will likely burn 7 gallons or so (it's 70 miles each way) since the trail is hard. Your buddy might burn more. If it were me, I would be hauling 20 gallons in the sled. Enough for another tank for each sled. Claude is selling fuel at the lodge if you make a mistake. I'd also make your buddy buy you a 5 gallon jug worth of fuel since you have the pain in the ass of having to haul fuel for him.

How many days you plan on staying in there and how many miles per day you plan on covering are going to be huge deciding factors. Contact Alpine Creek Lodge and find out for sure if they are selling fuel and what the price is and go from there. I went in there two winters ago with mod elan for 5 days and burned through close to a tank of fuel a day on a 550 fan cooled Skidoo Expedition. At the time I was carrying a 5 gallon can with me everywhere and used it every day. We were not hunting just exploring so we covered a lot more ground than you will.

Thanks for all the input guys! Planning on 2-3 days riding. I called Alpine and yes they do have gas there so that's some pressure taken off to haul in a lot of gas. I think we'll plan on taking in 20 gallons and going from there...

akdoug, I just might take that suggestion and see if I can't get 5 gallons in my favor

I looked up the specs on the sled and it should carry 11.8 gallons. So hopefully, it's not a 5 gallon take like I thought it was!

Frogman,
    Your RMK trail has an 11.8 gallon tank. I have a couple of 2003 RMK 700's and all the stock gas tanks for 2002-2005 RMKs are the same. It's 63 miles from the parking lot at MP 131 to Alpine Creek Lodge. Assuming a decent trail and steady cruising rpm you should burn about 3/4 tank on the run in. If you stop a lot you'll burn more.

If you've never snowmachined the Denali Hwy before keep an eye peeled for drifts around the stretch from Canyon Creek (MP 95) to almost tp Gracious House (MP 86) , especially if the light is flat when they're hard to see.

Have fun and keep a camera ready.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

Erik,

thanks for the info and the heads up! Hopefully we'll get into some ptarmies and maybe some predators...

The only time you could have too much gas or ammunition, is if you are on fire.

Yep, we do have fuel this year. Hoping we bought enough this time! We are selling it for $6.00, which isn't much more than break even after we pay for delivery, but we know if we don't have it, a lot of folks can't come up. It is just regular unleaded. Still haven't had enough call to bring in higher octane stuff, but we do have limited boost if your machine needs it. For fuel usage, to run the 65 miles from Cantwell, my 550 fans use about 9 to 10 gallons if I'm pulling a sled of stuff. The lowest for the run is 6.5 gallons. My new Bearcat, pulling a sled, and piles of stuff, only used 4 gallons! So, incredible difference. I put on about 6,000 miles a winter, so figure that thing will be paid for in no time at all... and wore out..
    On the predator side, there's a lot of critters out and about. We've had a successful start to the trapping season. Suggest running up to the upper Su by the glaciers, if the river is froze good enough. I've been running it downstream from the bridge on the trapline, but haven't gone up river. I really hate running on ice, but it's solid as.... well... ice.
    I rode out of the lodge Sunday and snow cover is excellent. No gravel all the way from Cantwell to Alpine Creek, although you might hit a pebble or two through the snow. There are some ruts from the last guy to drive out of the Valdez Creek Mining area, so that takes a few miles an hour off of your trip. I averaged between 30 and 40 mph. Course, I was looking for critters, so I didn't mind the slower speeds. Be aware that the Ptarmagin season closed early in Unit 13B again this year. No idea why, as your tripping over them. It closes today (November 30th) But the hunting is excellent across the Susitna River, and it's open on the West side until the end of March, I think.

I get back to the lodge on the evening of the 12th, but Jennifer said they are getting some great snow right now and temps are in the 20's for the first time in a month.

Good luck!!
    Claude
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Claude,

Thanks for all the info! I do appreciate it. Hopefully we'll get into some critters up there. Really looking forward to it!

Thanks for the update Claude. We are heading up on Saturday.

claude, hows the ptarmigan population over on the cantwell side??

Ptarmigan is really good between mileposts 84 to 100. The canyon creek area. Seen several bunches there on my travels in and out. You can go off trail now with the snow machines now and get back off the highway.

Doug, glad to hear your going to make it up! Wish I was going to be there, but I don't get home until the 12th or so. Any chance you can grab some parts from Dave for the Arctic Cats? I think I only need the strobe light for the groomer special, as it hasn't worked. I'll try to check with Jen on anything else we might need for them.

Claude
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com