Thread: Valdez fishing

Default Valdez fishing

I think I've got to narrow down my last post, so here goes!
    For July/August, how's Valdez for salmon/halibut fishing? Is it protected enough for a 16' jonboat w/25 hp or is it just best to go on a charter?
    Can anyone recommend a good charter company?
    How does Valdez compare with Seward for fishing? (Seward is only about 2 hours away from our place, not sure about driving to Valdez (8 hrs?) I heard the road trip to Valdez was outstanding, but really would like to fish there as well.
    Thanks to everybody on this forum, I know guys like me ask lots of pesky questions, but I appreciate all the help!
    Jim

Default Answers

For July/August, how's Valdez for salmon/halibut fishing?

The pinks should be in and silver in begining of August.

Is it protected enough for a 16' jonboat w/25 hp or is it just best to go on a charter?

If the winds are calm yes. But in the late afternoons when the west winds come up, better head back in. It all depends on the weather. Imagine a lake five miles wide and 20 miles long.

Can anyone recommend a good charter company?

No Excuses....

How does Valdez compare with Seward for fishing?

(Seward is only about 2 hours away from our place, not sure about driving to Valdez (8 hrs?) I heard the road trip to Valdez was outstanding, but really would like to fish there as well.

It is only 5 1/2 or 5 hours to Valdez. Been done faster but better file a flight plan first..... probably lost of tourist traffic so call it 6 hours.

Thanks to everybody on this forum, I know guys like me ask lots of pesky questions, but I appreciate all the help!

No problem.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default Jon Boat

A 16' Jonboat is not a vessel that I would take out into big water-no matter what the day looked like. Conditions can change very quickly and I wouldn't want to face 3-4 footers in a Jonboat. Jonboats are great for bayous, backwater, rivers and lakes (as long as you pay particular attention to the weather) and I've spent my fair share of time in Louisiana fishing from one but if you've been in a Jonboat when the waves kick up you know that they are not designed for rough water. I wouldn't go out in a boat that doesn't have sometype of back up motor either-although I've seen plenty of folks do it.

I would not hesitate to take a 16' jonboat to Valdez but you need to accept that the weather will dictate how much you will use it. You can fish pinks and silvers, when the time is right, as soon as you leave the small boat harbor. I would not venture too far from the harbor and you'll need to watch for wakes but use your brain and it can be done safely.

I used my 16 foot Jon Boat out of Valdez. Just didn't get out too far and kept eyes on the conditions. I didn't drop for halibut, just close-in trolling for silvers. No problems at all. Stay close enough to get back in a hurry, and make sure you're watching the weather/water. As soon as it looks like it might start getting a little rough, start heading in.

Thanks guys for the info; one last thing; given the difference in driving time (from Sterling), it the fishing/scenery/drive that much more nicer going the distance to Valdez than compared to Seward at the same time of year (we'll be up there between july 18th thru Aug. 8?
    Thanks again,
    Jim