Thread: Service before self

Default Service before self

Well it looks like I'll be deploying come April 2012. I'll be back around mid Oct 2012...just in time to miss the season. I just got here in Aug this year...oh well there's always 2013.

Stay safe, and thank you for your service.

Lonnie - Depending on how the fall pans out, I'd be happy to take you out looking for bears in mid to late October. It's actually a great time to be chasing bears if the snow stays high enough. If you're stationed at JBER, give me a shout next fall and we'll go climb some mountains and see if we can't find a bear looking for those last few berries.

Late fall is also an awesome time to be fishing the rivers for 'bows and dollies. Dredge up this thread when you get back and bump it to the top of the list. If the rivers and weather cooperate there are opportunities for some good fun.

Plenty of fun to be had in October! Probably my favorite time to chase just about anything... +1 for bump this to the top when you get home.

Thanks guys, and thanks for the invite Brian M. I may take you up on it come Fall. Being military is hard but I love it, most rewarding job I've ever had! I've already found an awesome place for fall bows. The crazy thing is that it's right under everyone's nose. There's still a lot to love about Alaska even in cold weather. Gives me more time for research and prep. If I can only get some luck finding a few Hares. Been looking and only seen minimal sign...down cycle I suppose. Thanks again everyone. Military support here in Alaska is insane, almost makes me feel like I'm taking advantage. Every time I get caught out in uniform someone shakes my hand and thanks me. Patriotism abounds!

Thanks for your service Lonny and good luck with your quest for a bear. I would take you for hares but my darn beagle is too lazy to get out of the truck when it's this darn cold. Actually she's lazy all the time unless she's running to the food bowl! If you get some time try out by gunsight for hares. Before the snow gets deep it can be a real hoot

thanks I'll try to make it out there.

I can tell you there are a lot of hares down in homer as well. I was downt there driving a truck for work and I was hitting 1-3 per night! I wasnt even aiming for them, just drive striaght and leave behind dead rabbits. They were all over the place.

LonnyG,
    Welcome to Alaska. Come on over and join the rest of us here in this beautiful place the "ghan". I'm sure that there will be plenty of us going out on hunts when we get back. Let us know what FOB you end on and I'm sure there will be other forum members that could give you a few tips about fishing/hunting in AK.