Thread: Off season fun........

Default Off season fun........

Well during this timma year,"The Off Season" for the subsistance Hunter, I usually lay down the rifle, do some ice fishing, set some nets or traps or longlines, but we just did some jigging and set a net. As well, with the day light deminishing in the Arctic, we have our Cashe piled with carcasses, bundles of dry fish, stacked with skins, fishing boxes(and my boat) filled with egg laden whitefish, and the results of this summers skin catch with last winters fur catch.Firewoods piled high and we just threw in an oil converter for multi fuel, so well see how that all works out

In tradional tiomes, this was the time of year to go around visiting and feasting, like an October Fest/thanks giving of sorts, spending time dancing, story telling, gossiping and seeing country and folks you aint seen inna while. This is basicly whats happening now, and with sports competition, and animals moving in and out of areas, its kinds fun after a long summers work out.

However , I like to hunt by myself in this "off season" for pleasure and to do "something different" so I spend a couple weeks with the oldest son aand his family in a Kotzebue sound side village. The Ocean ice had formed and gone and reformed, but during a big blow last week, it left and off, again , then reformed and solidifed.

At that timma year Arctic Fox, who have been on the shore all summer in dens with pups roam the shore , waiting for proper ice to thicken and then they go to Sea, as they do. As well , theres Common Eiders to hunt and they are in every crack and crevice, grouping up and being the last Ducks to leave, a bounus that they are as large as a medium turkey......so Off I went.

I reconnitored with the son and his friend Pat, from up atop the Cape.

From atop I spyed a bunch of Eider Ducks to stalk ;D

So Off I walked the next morning, after another look and some planning.

The lead ahead stopped me about 4 miles out, the fox I was tracking had tryed the slush , and found a spot to cross, but I was too leary of a tidal shift and oted out of the Hunt. With rubbery, flexing ice, my sons old harpoon for a walking stick , I "Tuuk" the iron tip as I walk and if the tip dosent go through (and it did plenty) I walked on over As well, The stick turned sideways can get you outta the ice and with a load of eiders on yer back, its a great resting device. Overall, I did well Catching 6 the first outting and 6 more over the next few days, and some Ducks too

He who treads thin ice should keep moving........

self portrait (or "Last picture" when your there ~~LOL!!~~)

The rotten **** thing is that I cannot find my other SD card with some good "Results", but theres this ~~LOL!!~~

The other 'thing' in my hands are Wolf leg pants the wife is sewing.
    This is the timma year to sew, being that it will not warm up and ruin the skins before the start of real COLD. Its also the Festive, visiting timma year 'round here , with travle being mostly village to village and visiting now that the ice is thick enough. An hour of daylight makes hunting kinda limited.

Now "the Ride" moves with confidence, the ice, its thick, and the Caribou are close, so after I'm done scrapeing these summer skins, I'll be huntig for pure Joy, bonus Meats and skins for whatever I can think of, maybe a floor or two in my tent.

The traps are looking like they want out as well and we have a camp to work over, so a string down that rout might be in order, or get somee pole and gather more firewoods before they are buried in drifts, maybe go to Kotz and see how campers on the way made out during freeze up.........ahhhhh the "Off season Blues" what to do.......???????~~~LOL!!~~~
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Looks like fun!
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

I will give you 40 bucks for your curtains! Send me address so I can send payment lol. Thanks for another great post...

The curtains aint for sale The real $$ is in the Fur

Their for heat and airflow as the stove is burning away in the front room, and yet a bit of privacy. Its -26 and the rooms are warm. Aint that way with closed doors.

Try the PX or Salvation Army....Mine are from a flea market in LaMirada Ca.......

Look like good wool Mexican blankets,I have some.Enjoy family and friend visits.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
    The curtains aint for sale The real $$ is in the Fur

Their for heat and airflow as the stove is burning away in the front room, and yet a bit of privacy. Its -26 and the rooms are warm. Aint that way with closed doors.

Try the PX or Salvation Army....Mine are from a flea market in LaMirada Ca.......
    Dang it's like that... What you know about the PX??? Ah didn't need them anyhow I have a stack of Pendleton blankets that were made in Pendleton before they moved the operation to leftyville Portland. On a side note on my meats gathering subsistence days in Arizona, Ft Huachuca to be exact I was driving the back roads to a hunting spot so i could shoot a fat buck. What do I spy a thick wool blanket laying on the road shoot I jump out toss it in the back "thank you mr illegal alien" for sweet blanket.

As always great post

Thanks for sharing... great pics.... great story....

Glad you like'd it

Would have posted a week ago , 'cept I was holding out for the other SD card and the pix on it.

As for more wool blankets, 323, Im sure you know the military has the best,(and the PX is sorta cheap) 100% wool, like 7 feet long so you can cover your entire self. heavy but way warm, even when damp.........I use them in summer travles.........Nothing worse than a short blanket for the night~~LOL!!~~

No were working on sewing Caribou hides together for outside sleeping and comfort

I know how you feel about the sd card. I still have not found my camera with two sd cards from months back. Hate it when you think you found a spot you'll easily remember! Lots of bear photos on those cards too. Hope it turns up for ya. Maybe back track your way to Deering? Just another adventure!

I woulda posted a week ago allrighty, but I was a wanting the cool pix I took of skins along the line......... As well, theres my grandtwins B-Day that I did get on SD, so the wife and girls watched them blow out the candles, so all was not lost. An 8 Gig card ta boot....

Theres gonna be alotta more sewing here very soon, oh ya. Good reasons to seek more.

Thanks for the post, Stranger. Always look for yours!

I think I remember that you've mentioned in the past about certain times of year being better for skins due to hair slippage. Is that right? What time of year or type (caribou cow, bull, calf) is best for hair on skins for warm stuff? Meaning blankets, coats, etc?

Thanks for the post.

Dave

The best clothig Caribou skins are Fawns from mid July to early september, and Bulls from late July to late August and Cows from early August to mid September, with some short haired Caribou fawns in late september being quite nice. Short hairs and healed up Warble fly hatch holes on the back are almost always black in color, but they lighten as the season advances. Fawns are usually a light brown
    The "best" is Fawn hides, as they are tough, the hairs will not slip or break and they are much lighter, being thinner of leather. A good fawn Parkee will last a couple three years while a Bull or Cow will last a couple years and begin to wear. Were talking stedy, daily use though, but not in summer, too hot.
    I would love to afford a trip into the Brooks Nporth Slope side, and camp all of August for Fawn skins and dry meats some day.

In Fall (Sept/Oct) Freeze up, Caribou hides become great for bedding, floors , blankets and sleeping bags. The legs are thick and tough and never shed hairs, so they make mittens and foot gear, boots, slippers, sox, ect. outta them.

Late winter hides make great cushons for travleing and bedding, floors and bags.

I was thinking to go catch a nice female tomarrow and skin her like a fox.........makes for a cool bag.

Nice pick of fish, I'll send you a new SD card for one, LOL. Thanks for sharing

Cool thread Stranger. You should write a book about all of your experiences over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by MarineHawk View Post
    Cool thread Stranger. You should write a book about all of your experiences over the years.
    I second the motion. I grew up reading every book I could read about Native Americans and frontier living. Stranger's stories would have been perfect. I'm sure most kids are just playing video games, but there are sure to be some who still live for a real story. Real people doing real things in Big Country. Stranger gets my vote.

These books in particular were favorites.
    Farley Mowat's "Two Against the North"/Lost in the Barrens was one book I read over and over:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost_in_the_Barrens

Another series was giving to me by my grandfather and was written for boys post Civil War:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Castlemon