Thread: light sport experimental

Default light sport experimental

with your bush flying experience, what do you guys think about the highlander by justaircraft for off airport stuff that normally happens in alaska. the plane looks pretty impressive to me. useful load, stol, price to build, ease to build. for a light sport pilot it looks like a good plane. just looking for experience and what everybody thought.

i just thought for a light sport pilot it was a good plane. there is not many options out there for someone restricted to the limitation of light sport. just wondering all my option.

There are many options for LSA pilots. Including cubs (J3/PA11), Champs, Cheifs, and Taylorcrafts being the most common (in no particular order). Can't really comment on the Highlander as the only exposure I've had are the "Dead Stick Takeoff" videos. The design kind of looks like a shorter tcart, with flaps and cub gear. Looks like it's a good performer at least from the video below.
    http://www.shortfield.com/index.php?...nes&Itemid=116)
    -Out-of-State for school, remembering why I love Alaska so much

Check out the Zenith 750....very simple to build and performs well with 100 hp.

I think the Highlander is a great design and a good performer. Rans is another nice design that I like.

Keep in mind the empty weight and gross weight and the WIND...

The lower the wing loading of an aircraft the more you are limited to operation in windy areas. Protecting your aircraft from the destructive force of the wind while tied down can be challenging as well. Ask me how I know?

Buying a certain aircraft is a compromise. Keep doing your homework and good luck!

i checked out the zenith 750 and it is a very nice plane. talking to the factory they told me only 40# behind the seat.i didn't think that was very useful. the highlander folks claim a very good useful load if you build light. when you start looking into building a plane, the imformation you get can be a overload. just getting into aviation, so most of it is a overload.

Most LSA planes are limited in CG range. "Building light" is a great goal but not always easy to do in real life. My RV-4 is easily 30 lbs over and I'm not done yet.

If you are just getting into flying and you want to build a plane I would suggest finding a local EAA Chapter and spend some time with the folks who have built planes themselves and get as much time under your belt or in your log book in as many planes as possible BEFORE you make any decisons on what to build.

I have a blast with the Avids and kitfoxes around here. I have put 120# behind my seat before and about the same in the seat next to me. The CG range is a bit better than most would think. The nice thing about them is most come out at the very forward edge of the CG range with the heavier engines people are putting in them, so it gives you ALOT more weight to put in the back.

The highlander is a great plane, as well as the Rans S-7. Dont discount the Airdale, Avid or the Kitfox when looking for fun flying planes.

avidflyer what do you have for a motor in your avid? the motor in a experimental seems to be a heated subject. there are a ton of opinions but no hard answers.

SInce the market is growing quickly there are a lot of really well designed engines for LSA out there now or will be shortly and as always, everyone has an opinion.

Avid is correct, more weight up front means a forward CG and more you can put in the back...within reason. You can also use lighter engines and increase the arm and accomplish the same thing...it's a balancing act not magic. One trick is to move the battery around to get things where you want them or 2 pounds in the tail may offset 50 pounds in the nose....it's all a balancing act.

Quote Originally Posted by smalls View Post
    avidflyer what do you have for a motor in your avid? the motor in a experimental seems to be a heated subject. there are a ton of opinions but no hard answers.
    I have the Rotax 582 in mine, but am working on another conversion that will give me double the power on take off! Lots of people have nightmares about 2 strokes in airplanes, but most of them are guys that have heard horror stories, but never flown behind them. If you know and understand a 2 stroke, they are every bit as reliable as a 4 stroke. There are new engines coming out that give the rotax 912 a run for their money at half the cost. As lowrider said, you can do alot with weight distribution to offset the heavier engines, but at the end of the day, a heavier engine means less useful load. I have a 600# useful in mine, but it is pretty darn hard to get that much weight in it due to limited room to pack things!

One of these days, I will get around to making the belly pod I have been threateneing to do for a couple years now...