Thread: Interior Fishing?

Default Interior Fishing?

Anybody braver than me this past week? All I'm seeing are -25 to -40 degree temps and have wussed out! This newbie is open to any warmth suggestions short of a bullet heater. Then again, that would be nice!

How in the world do you guys fish in this stuff, and is this normal for this time of year???!!!

Toughin up!!!

Just got back from Harding, and boy was it not warm. Had to have two lil buddy heaters going full blast. Fishing was as cold as the weather. Had a few bites but nothing took solid so better luck next time right? Careful whom ever ventures out there (Harding) cause even with this cold weather, the ice thickness in some spots were 4" or less with over flow. Sitting at home now, beer in hand, rooting for the Ducks!

Smile Quartz Lake Arctic Bowl

Gutleap, Alcanron, and Jedi braved the -34 arctic bowl at Quartz Lake today. Fishing was on and off. We managed a total of 8 fish today with Gutleap catching the 2 biggest. I have a picture of the landlock Chinook he caught and the 21 inch Rainbow will be posted later. We were the only group out on the lake today. Notice the heaters. We were quite warm. Next week it is game on at Harding.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by fishin ak View Post
    Just got back from Harding, and boy was it not warm. Had to have two lil buddy heaters going full blast. Fishing was as cold as the weather. Had a few bites but nothing took solid so better luck next time right? Careful whom ever ventures out there (Harding) cause even with this cold weather, the ice thickness in some spots were 4" or less with over flow. Sitting at home now, beer in hand, rooting for the Ducks!
    Get a tank top heater you will not regret it.

I know, that is what I have been telling my friend. I have been waiting for my lil buddy heater to crap out on me to justify getting a tank top. I am a new member to AK forums but long time fisherman of the interior and enjoyed your previous year's success at Harding. Maybe I'll see you out there sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by fishin ak View Post
    I know, that is what I have been telling my friend. I have been waiting for my lil buddy heater to crap out on me to justify getting a tank top. I am a new member to AK forums but long time fisherman of the interior and enjoyed your previous year's success at Harding. Maybe I'll see you out there sometime.
    I smashed my lil buddy heater on the ice last weekend. The thing crapped out on me one to many times. What side of Harding did you fish?

Straight out from the private boat launch, although I can't quite make it out as far as I want to due to poor ice conditions.

You guys are hard core! I do have a tank top heater but have never used it. I guess times they are a changing! My Buddy Heater worked fine in the lower 48 and moderate temps up here, but I know it would struggle mightily at -34 temps! I've read so many comments about them failing or not lighting at -10 or lower that I didn't want to chance it.

I braved the -30 temps to try out Birch on Saturday with quite a few dinkers but did manage to catch a few char/trout over 16 inches. I made sure to keep the big buddy heater hose warm for as long as possible before lighting and I had to start the truck every 3 hours to ensure I had a ride home. You will be fine, dress warm and be prepared.

No, this is not normal for this time of year as 6 low temp records were broken over the past 10 days.