Thread: Brooks Range Grizzlies

Default Brooks Range Grizzlies

What is the best way to go after Brooks Range Grizzlies?
    In the spring: from the road system on snow machines or does the snow rot before they come out? Maybe spot from an airplane, land, camp and snow shoe after them?
    In the fall: try and pick one off as they follow the caribou migration?
    Any input into this type of adventure would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Jim

Ya, snow machine in from the road in the spring! Should give you great odds, to get a big fine.

Get familiar with the regs, than make a post on here.

Jim - What helmuth is getting at is that you are prohibited from using motorized vehicles within 5 miles of the road, so hunting Brooks Range grizzlies off the road would require walking, skiing, or snowshoeing after them...or hiring an air service to drop you off beyond the 5 mile limit. Additionally, anything hunted within 5 miles of the road would require the use of archery equipment and an IBEP certification. If you want to read a bit about hunting grizzlies off the road up there, look through member Jerod's old posts. If I recall, the guy has taken three grizzlies up there with the use of a bow.

Jim'
    I have found that flying in and floating a river at the end of August to be productive. Find a hill or saddle that has berries and caribou. Once your in a good area spend a couple days glassing it. Do not just walk around and hope to get lucky. They are very sensitive to scent. If you dont have luck after a couple days float down to the next spot.

Brian

Snowmachine in, ride the ridge's and mountain tops and see what tracks you cut, 'cause thats where your gonna find them.

Go after April 15th , the sun should be shin'in', the temp above Zero and most Bears will be out and about, so you can have yer pick.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Oh, didnt equate Brians post to having no vehicles getting you 5 miles away from the corridor......I would guess a Cargo drop would need a pickup, at least over the 5 mile corridor...........prehaps a helocopter??~~LOL!!~~

Ok, skip the snowgo ~~LOL!!~~

Do camp on a mountain top , high ridge or a pronimant place, Bears will come to you, or you will at least see them, at distance, and get yer Hunt on
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

The Brooks Range is a big range. You cannot snowmachine from the Dalton Highway to hunt, so that is out. You can, however, fly your machine and yourself into any of the villages and take off from there, or rent a machine from one of the villages. If you are extremely adventurous you could even just ride from Fairbanks.

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    If you are extremely adventurous you could even just ride from Fairbanks.
    You can start a little further north than Fairbanks.

Quote Originally Posted by helmuth View Post
    Ya, snow machine in from the road in the spring! Should give you great odds, to get a big fine.

Yeah, this kind of attitude is constructive.

Learn how to be helpful, then make a post on here.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Quote Originally Posted by helmuth View Post

You aren't allowed to ask questions on here, you are supposed to know it all already before you make a comment/question, duh.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Heres a north side brooks range grizzly. He was collared.

bear.jpg

bear1.JPG

Right at 7 foot square. Nice blonde with wicked claws.

The regs say you can haul game, gear and people across the corridor on snowmachine. What it is not clear about is if the road counts as as outside the unit? Since it is 5 miles on each side of the road, nothing says road is in the middle of the corridor, so that is the ? in my mind. Page 119 in the regs.

You can take a snowmachine from one side of the corridor to the other, but you can't start from inside the corridor, which includes the road. I wouldn't want to try and fight that in court.

Brian, I've only taken two on the Haul Road. The third was a brownie on Afognak.

Oh I'm sorry, people shouldn't be familiar with the regs. Just ask questions on the internet instead.

I mean it's not like people would actually drive off the haul road with motorized vehicles... oh that's right, people have.

Anyways, back tot he OP. I think it depends on how much money your looking to spend. Airplane would probably give you your best odds although, it can be done off the road. I took one 2 years ago after taking canoe past the 5 mile mark in one of the rivers south of Atigun.
    Lots of ways to skin that cat but, I'm not sure if the brooks gives you your best odds for a grizz, there are other areas in the state with higher densities.

I ambit it, I didnít look over the regulation prior to posting. Oops! So thanks for pointing out the illegality of one of my intentions.
    While the Brooks might not be the most particle place to hunt grizzly, for me she holds an enchantment in her landscape and solitude that instills adventure. So the Brooks it shall be.
    After reading everyone posts and considering why this hunt draws me, I think a fall hunt floating a river or an airplane drop off at the rear of a caribou migration will yield the quest I desire.
    Thanks for all for your input.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jerod View Post
    Brian, I've only taken two on the Haul Road. The third was a brownie on Afognak.
    Details, details... Now I suppose you're going to tell me that you didn't take them with a handmade bow using arrows you whittled from spruce saplings and tipped with hand-chiseled shale all while wearing a caribou-skin loincloth.

Go with it, man. It'll help the mystique.

I glass the hills from the road north of coldfoot in the spring and always see bears, hunt them with bow hike in drainages and look for tracks and sign walking up and down creeks. good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Details, details... Now I suppose you're going to tell me that you didn't take them with a handmade bow using arrows you whittled from spruce saplings and tipped with hand-chiseled shale all while wearing a caribou-skin loincloth.

Go with it, man. It'll help the mystique.
    Depending on the season and how bad the bugs are, I might be seen out there with nothing but my fox fur thong and the homemade spear.

I've used dogteams to hunt caribou on the North Slope in April. No problem to get 5 miles off the road or to haul back your meat. 6 - 8 dogs (super-fit and trained) are the right size team. Used 10 dogs one trip and was way over-powered.

Might work for an April bear hunt as long as the snow and ice aren't too rotten, and the team is very well trained.