Thread: Greenhouse is cooling down

Default Greenhouse is cooling down

I had minus 18 this morning. the GH was 39, about 10 less than the prvious record. Time to turn the heat up!

But things are still growing on the inside.

Cukes and snow outside
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Default Citrus trees

Lemons
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Peppers, there are 14 of them. I am letting the red one go to seed. And still flowering, go figure.

Seed cuke...

It is nice to come home to a GH that is normally n the mid-seventies. Minimal watering, no bugs and nice flowers. It was worth the 2 years of work.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Currently there are about 6 limes, 3 lemons, one mandarin 14 peppers and about 5 more cukes coming. The super cold had the cukes withering a bit though.
    A navel orange just finished blooming and there may be a few oranges that took. Can't wait to see how all the citrus turns out. I suspect the limes may be ready, but don't know how to tell other than cutting into one.

earlier shot of lime tree. They still look the same.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Quote Originally Posted by bullbuster View Post
    I suspect the limes may be ready, but don't know how to tell other than cutting into one.
    Here's how to tell, and why. Citrus ripens differently from other kinds of fruit, because instead of converting starches into sugars (like apples or bananas), they convert acids into sugars. We technically eat immature limes, since fully "ripe" limes are not enjoyable to eat, they become too soft/mushy and develop an off taste. Unlike other fruits that ripen in hours or days, lemons and limes keep getting better for many weeks, until they're fully ripe and no longer taste as good.

The goal is to pick them just before they ripen, but better too early than too late. Commercial growers measure ripeness of limes by three criteria: diameter, percent juice by volume, and ratio of acids to sugars. Obviously those criteria are hard to measure at home. So instead, look for these four things:

1. Juiciness, determined by weight. Limes become slightly heavier when ready to eat, you can feel it by lifting them.
    2. Firmness, just like Goldilocks and the three bears: hard is too unripe, soft is too ripe, but firm is just right.
    (Firm limes are juicier because the lime takes on additional water as it develops differentiated pulp vesicles.)
    3. Smell the zest. Just scratch 'n sniff the skin with your fingernail, limes will smell "limey" when they're ready.
    4. Color, since the dark green will lighten (slightly) to a lighter green when ready to eat, before turning yellow.
    (Color is the most obvious but least important attribute, don't hesitate to pick if dark green but large and juicy.)

Once you pick the lime it begins to deteriorate, so try to pick them the day you plan to use them if possible. (Isn't that the point of growing them yourself anyway?) I've also had good luck with juicing extra lemons and quickly freezing the juice in an ice cube tray, you lose some vitamins but preserve the taste.

Hope that helps bullbuster. Beautiful greenhouse, nice plants, enjoy your winter fruit!
    Inspiration is simply the momentary cessation of stupidity.

That does help.
    The limes are getting lighter in color. Might be time to try them out.
    Thanks Sera!
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Quote Originally Posted by bullbuster View Post
    Currently there are about 6 limes, 3 lemons, one mandarin 14 peppers and about 5 more cukes coming. The super cold had the cukes withering a bit though.
    A navel orange just finished blooming and there may be a few oranges that took. Can't wait to see how all the citrus turns out. I suspect the limes may be ready, but don't know how to tell other than cutting into one.

earlier shot of lime tree. They still look the same.
    Hey Bullbuster,
    I am in South Florida we have lime and other citrus trees everyehere. In would say that from
    you picture its time to make that Gin & Tonic!

Something Green to look at,
    Thanks for the pictures

after reading seraphinas post I think women and limes have alot in common

and yea - those pictures of green things growing is nice to see

Quote Originally Posted by Cutter View Post
    after reading seraphinas post I think women and limes have alot in common
    And after reading cutter's post, I think men and slime have a lot in common.
    Inspiration is simply the momentary cessation of stupidity.

You got that one dead on correct!

I lost one of the cucumber plants. They grow up in between the rafters and it must have gotten a bit too cold. Next year I will drop them down.

You can see the 1" herring web that I hung for the cukes in this earlier shot.
    Oh well, I still have one growing. Fresh cucumber tonight with the wild turkey I shot last spring!

Sera, I did cut one of the limes and it sure looks ready. I'll find out today how it is. Thanks for the tips.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it