Thread: Goat Meat

Default Goat Meat

How do you prepare Mountain Goat Meat? Do you recommend making burger and sausage out of it all, or are roasts, steaks, and stew meat any good from a goat?

Default goat meat

I love game meat;however, the meat from the only goat I have killed, an old billy taken in late Sept, was so sinewy the butcher laughed at me when I asked for a few small roasts and steaks ( the majority I ground up for Mexican and pasta dishes, plus dinner sausages). I got some anyway in spite of his advice. Too tough! even when slow cooked and after marinated. I did have some steaks off a younger goat in hunting camp and it was quite palatable, cooked just like you would moose or deer.

Default goat meat........

I like the flavor but it is some tough eating stuff! Hamburger or hunter sticks are the way to go for most of the meat. I like the backstraps and tenderloins for steaks but those still need the meat hammer and some marinade in the fridge for a day or two.

The four year old nanny I killed on Kodiak last fall was as tasty as any sheep meat I have ever eaten and only slightly less tender.

Thumbs up mine was tasty...

a nice mature billy, but i took him early in the season, august 22, specifically because i had heard billies taken later can be inedible.
    not tender, but really delicious.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

kodiak goats seem to be great, the goat i've had was canned in a pressure cooker from PWS and it was really really good.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I have had some great burgers with Kodiak goat, great stuff.

Doug

Default Man Burgers

1. Grind your burger up and add a little garlic to the grind.
    2. Invite all your hunting and fishing buddies over for a "Man Burger Party."
    3. Have them bring all the fixings and beverages.
    4. Tell hunting and fishing tales and enjoy.

Recipe:
    BBQ some kind of wild game burger
    1 egg - fried sunny side up - extra runny (everyone MUST have the egg).
    1 - slice of onion
    served on a bun - with any other fixin's

No girls allowed at a man burger party.
    (Unless they are a better hunter or fisher-person, or their the boss)

I killed an old billy and the steak knives would not cut the chops! Had to grind it into hamburger and then crock pot it. Works for chili in the crock pot. **** it was tuff; haven't killed one since. Enjoy. J.

Default yummy

I got a nice 4 yr old billy in mid sept 04, he was a little tenderized by the fall he took, but the straps and a couple roasts I had were tasty! The rest i made into summer sausage and everyone who had it was totally amazed...
    <*)))><

Thumbs up Mtn Goat canning

Mountain goat is an excellent meat to can, and has a great flavor. Most billys are tougher than the hubs of hell; and pressure cooking during the canning process takes care of that problem! We take a number Goats each year, so we generally can up @ 300 lbs or so- it is always gone by the time goat season rolls around again. I cold pack most of mine, but a popular method by the Cordova oldtimers involves putting it up with a beef-broth gravy- awesome just heated up in a pan after a day on the trapline, or packing out a wet brown bear hide. In any rate, it is a great way to process that doesn't require freezer space. We generally put up pint jars, and cook for 90 min. at 10 lbs pressure.

We took a rutting old Billy and a fat nanny on a hunt.

The billy smelled to high heaven!

We gave him to a guy that had been bugging us for some meat, if we had extra. He claimed it was "good".

The nanny was excellent roasts, steaks and burger. It is my daughter's favorite wild game.

The several billies I have tasted since then were good as well. But they weren't stinking of the rut.

I took an 11 year billy down here in the Colorado high country. Flavor was excellent - milder most other game meat IMO. Anything but the TL and straps in very sinewy, but if you clean it up it makes very good burger. Good enough burger that you can feed it to friends and family as burgers and don't have to "hide" it via a chili or spagatti delivery system. I never thought of canning any but my guess is it would be excellent canned.

Default Goat meat

The goats I've eaten were way tough and chewy. I pretty much would chew the flavor out of the meat and spit it out. I would campare goat meat from a mature billy to boot leather. With enough seasoning though you could chew for a while.
    I'm sure early season and younger goats perpared right aren't bad. I just haven't had it that way yet.

We eat a lot of Goat meat. Some hunters take some home with them, occasionally one will take it all.

I cook it just like Blacktail. Steaks out of the backstraps, sometimes steaks out of the ham but I grind more of the Goat than I do Blacktail.

Not quite the flavor of our Blacktail but still very good.

Having Goat tacos tonight.