Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need a new reel

Default I need a new reel

Long story, but last summer left me with one less halibut setup and I need to find a good reel to replace my old Penn GT340. I really liked that reel so I was thinking of getting a new level wind but Im curious as to what you guys are using that you really like. I was thinking maybe a 2 speed but I just dont know enough about them to go that route. Any recommendations for me?

Ron

On recommendations of a friend I picked up a couple of Daiwa Saltist LW-A reels. Whoooeee! Talk about a nice reel. Very smooth drag and the fast retrieve is ideal for jigging.

Check out the avet's they are made in the USA and can be rebuilt locally every couple of years for cheap. BJ's in anchorage has a nice selection of them , at the same price you can find on the Internet. 2 speed is the way to go

I will 2nd. the AVET reels. One of my better purchases.

2 speeds aren't really necessary IMO. Save some money and get a 1 speed.

As far as Avets go, they are a decent deal, but I doubt I'll be buying any more. I currently have an avet sx on my jigging master power spell 150, and the lack of an anti-reverse is pretty annoying. Not a big deal if you want to use it as a trolling reel, but its annoying on a jigging reel. My next reel is either going to be a JM, Accurate, Alutecnos or something similar. They are $$$ though.

There's an American company called Canyon Reels which seems to make decent reel for a good price. If you are on a budget, I would give those reels a look. The HS-15 or HS-18 reels would make a good hali jigging real in my opinion.

Shimano Tekota 800. Smooth as silk, good drag, and level wind. We own 4 Avets as well but everyone grabs the Shimano's first.

Great reel for the price is the Shimano TLD 20 2-speed. Lighter than the all aluminum reels and will work for just about anything. I like my Avets and my Internationals, but that TLD 20 is great!

Ive always heard about eh AVETs, so I guess I will need to check those out before I buy. I have Shimanos on all of my casting and trolling rods but I have never found a reel that they made that I liked for butt, I guess I need to check those out too. Whats the feeling with Penn? I see noone has went either way with them so far.

What's your budget? What are the key features you are looking for? What type of line? What test?

Quote Originally Posted by Ronster View Post
    Ive always heard about eh AVETs, so I guess I will need to check those out before I buy. I have Shimanos on all of my casting and trolling rods but I have never found a reel that they made that I liked for butt, I guess I need to check those out too. Whats the feeling with Penn? I see noone has went either way with them so far.
    I would go with Penn or Okuma is making some nice reels these days as well. Avets are nice but they get destroyed quickly in unexperienced hands.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
    Piscor Ergo Sum

I run a charter fishing service in Kodiak and have used Accurate, Shimano and Penn reels and none hold up like the Avet's. I have hundreds of people each year that use my reels and have yet to have one destroyed. If you ever do have a problem or just want it cleaned and serviced Avet will go completely through your reel and ship it back to you for $35. An important step is to submerge your Avet reels in fresh water and rotate the crank around and it will flush out any salt that has accumulated in your reel during the day. The Avet reels do cost more but for me having a reel that is reliable when I have clients on board is essential. Another important aspect is that they are made in the United States from quality marine grade aluminum and stainless steel.
    Kodiak Island Adventures
    907-539-6474
    Shearwater 38' Allen Marine Catamaran
    Lana J 40' USCG inspected

Picked up 4 Penn Graph lite Gld 30's 2 speed $75 each he had a bunch of them. P.M me if interested I will try to find his number
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

I second the statement about a two speed not being worth the cost or complexity. If you are using lightweight jigs, then they are OK, but when you have heavy halibut weights, I don't really use the high speed mode much. Some here will complain about level winds breaking, but I like them. Another option is an electric. First you need a wife so that you can say you bought it for her or your friends will tease you. I have one of the Diawa's (blue) and it is a nice addition if you are set up for electric downriggers to be able to plug it in when you want to retrieve your bait effortlessly from 300 feet.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

I used all Penn reels on my charter boat for several years and they did just fine. GTX 320's for trolling, 330's and H114's for Halibut. That said they aren't the best out there but we used them because most customers knew the name Penn. We had a couple 320's quit and the others were fine. The 114H's are over kill for most of the fish you catch in the lower Cook and if I replace any it would be with the 113H. A lot depends where you fish and how deep and how much wt. you use. We fish in 250' max and use 1lb wts. and drift so we can use lighter Wt. The average fish is 20lbs. Also spectra type lines create less drag and need less wt to hold bottom= lighter reels. Bottom line you don't need to spend a lot on a personal use reel but if you enjoy having something reel nice to fish with by all means go for it.

FWIW here are my views on big game reels as experienced by owning a couple dozen over the past twenty years while fishing San Diego Long Range and two trips a year to Baja and CR. We have no fish in Alaska that can compare with tuna for fight and our salmon sharks are probably the only fish we have capable of burning a drag on an appropriate reel. IMO!

I have gone through all sorts of reel fads and have settled on seven reels that I have kept for reliable use. I am not a charter captain looking for the absolute best bang for my buck. I have five Shimano reels and two Accurates that have survived and are friendly to use.

I owned one Avet [2sp 30] that failed while deploying the first bait. A friend had excessive corrosion in his and another friend had one lock up the gear works on a tuna last year. That's only three but it is 100% failure in my book.

I like the TLD Shimanos and know the guy that designed em. They can't be beat for the buck IMO but if using a harness hooked into the lugs be sure to attach the rod clamp as I've seen the bottom of the spool frames pulled off.

Two speed is not a big thing in my book. I'd rather put the money into an upgrade crank with longer throw and and ergonomic grip. I have a couple two speeds as the high gear gives me a faster recovery for fishing wahoo etc.

I stress ergonomics as a 2-3 hour fight on a tuna can leave me with painful arthritic hands requiring cortisone.

Wide spools are not my favorite as the new thin lines just don't require the spool space and wide spools set the crank so far off the axis of the rod that it applies undo rotation on the rod during a tough fight.

I did use a small Fin Nor of Steve Zernia's last summer and was very impressed with it. There may be one on my next Baja trip.

Lever drags provide much more drag surface than Star drags but usually don't cast quite as well. The newer star drags with offset oversized gear.drag box are a good compromise {ala Shimano Trinidad].

I've gone through a pile of money on thin lines and have settled on Jerry Brown Line 1 through BHP Tackle.

My boys got me a lever drag 2-speed Okuma Titus Gold TG WII reel 5 years ago for my birthday. It has worked flawlessly and is sure great on the halibut.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronster View Post
    Long story, but last summer left me with one less halibut setup and I need to find a good reel to replace my old Penn GT340. I really liked that reel so I was thinking of getting a new level wind but Im curious as to what you guys are using that you really like. I was thinking maybe a 2 speed but I just dont know enough about them to go that route. Any recommendations for me?

Ron
    Get a new Penn 345GT2 GT at wally world for $129. I have replaced my Daiwas and Older penns with these reels. They hold 1800 ft of 80lb braid and work fine for halibut, rockfish, lings, shark. I know everyone raves about 2 speeds until someone drops one and loses a $1000 set up. A rod and reel that works withoput problems for less than $300 (I use lamiglas rods) is a decent investment for the price. Oh, they bring in line quickly..racing a two speed, the line drag through the water often makes it difficult for novices to crank in and I reel FAST and beat em up from 300' plus depths.

Quote Originally Posted by jrogers View Post
    I second the statement about a two speed not being worth the cost or complexity. If you are using lightweight jigs, then they are OK, but when you have heavy halibut weights, I don't really use the high speed mode much. Some here will complain about level winds breaking, but I like them. Another option is an electric. First you need a wife so that you can say you bought it for her or your friends will tease you. I have one of the Diawa's (blue) and it is a nice addition if you are set up for electric downriggers to be able to plug it in when you want to retrieve your bait effortlessly from 300 feet.
    Good comments about the electrics. We bought a Diawa Tanacom just to test those super deep areas we run across that look promising. Put 6 pounds of lead on and drop her down and see if anything is around. Flip the switch and lay back and wait till the weight is on the top

I lucked out today on the black Friday deals at Sports Authority. Not exactly what I wanted, but I got a Penn 345 GT2 for $70. A lot bigger real than I wanted but I couldnt pass up the price. Im still going to keep looking for a lighter reel and I may make this one the spare.

You don't need a two-speed for halibut unless you're also going to use the reel for high-speed fish down in California (yellowfin tuna and the like). I'm no expert on halibut fishing, having been to your beautiful state only three summers now, but I've fished enough elsewhere to know that you just need a durable winch of a reel i.e. Penn 113, Penn 340/345, Shimano 30 TLD single speed for this type of fishing. A star drag reel is going to be easier to take apart for cleaning & maintenance than a lever-drag.

The single-speed star drag is also going to cost you quite a bit less!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast