Thread: mod 70 extreme weather

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

Default mod 70 extreme weather

The action is slick and groups tight! I picked up a new gun from Macks Sporting goods in Kodiak, Eric put my Zies rapiad 600 on and it is now ready for action. Shooting Barnes MRX 130gr.
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

I have one in a 30-06 although I have not had a lot of time to make loads for it, it did shoot 165gr barnes in a 3/4 group. Like I said I think I can do better I just have not had time to play with it. I really like mine and plan to get a few more once I get some cash saved up. I really want a 325WSM and a 270 or 243.

You should be very happy with that combo Mr Jeff. I have the same Rifle and scope, but mine is a 325wsm and if you are shooting 130 grainers, I'm guessing you got a 270 or something close. My wife has one in 270wsm and it is a shooter as well. One of the best rifles for the money out there right now,,, Congrats..

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

i have one (havent seen it yet) in 30-06 but i had it sent out to be rebarreled to a 280 Rem. I cant wait to get my hands on it, im betting its going to be an awesome rifle.
    Josh
    Back in Afghanistan, I hope for the last time.

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

When I was going thru seps from the USMC, my seperations interviewer asked what I was going to do now that I was getting out. I said I was going down town to buy me a Rem 280 mtn rifle for my scope I purchased while in Iwakuni and comin home to hunt deer. THe Capt told me to go to his friends shop and tell them Capt white sent me, they hooked me up with a Sako AV in .270 win, and I been shootin that since, it has had a new barrel and work from the late George Wessinger with Wessinger guns. I been reading about the new Extreme weather from Winchester and it is awesome, I shot with factory load in Kodiak and now that I have a break from transports I shot some Barnes MRX 130 loaded to 59.5 grs of RL19, it was 5 inches high with reloads at 200, I dropped it right in the bullseye. still snowing here in Old Harbor, might just get the goats to drop a little lower.
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

I'm glad you like it! I just bought one from Mtn View Sports in a .270 and put a swaro 3x9 on it- can't wait to see how it shoots. I really like the way it feels.

Quote Originally Posted by akula682 View Post
    i have one (havent seen it yet) in 30-06 but i had it sent out to be rebarreled to a 280 Rem. I cant wait to get my hands on it, im betting its going to be an awesome rifle.
    Who is doing the rebarrel job?

Quote Originally Posted by swapdonkey View Post
    Who is doing the rebarrel job?
    MGM, I have a few of their TC encore barrels and they are really nice, so i decided to have them rebarrel my M70. They are also going to blueprint the action and free float the barrel.
    http://www.matchgrademachine.com/
    Josh

I forgot to add, when i get back to the states in June (i hope), i will be sending in my old Win 670 243 to MGM to be rebarreled to a 338 Federal.
    Josh

The only thing I dont like about mine is the hot glue crap they put on the adjust screws for the trigger weight. It's a PIA to get it off to adjust the trigger down.

I'm looking for one myself now but chambered for the 243 win. cartridge. I want a new predator gun. Thinking Leupold 3.5-10 scope and Talley's to round off the package.

Stid:

I bought an Extreme Weather in .270 win a couple of weeks ago for a caribou rifle, and then today I went in to Mt View Sports and saw the .325 WSM on sale. I have followed some of your posts and decided I couldn't pass it up for $830- so now I have to find another swaro Z3 to mount on it! I need to quit reading! : ) I hope I like it as much as you seem to.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBEE View Post
    Stid:

I bought an Extreme Weather in .270 win a couple of weeks ago for a caribou rifle, and then today I went in to Mt View Sports and saw the .325 WSM on sale. I have followed some of your posts and decided I couldn't pass it up for $830- so now I have to find another swaro Z3 to mount on it! I need to quit reading! : ) I hope I like it as much as you seem to.
    That sounds like a awesome combo, let me know if you need any reloading help for it. That was an awesome price, Merry Xmas to you!!!
    Can't wait to see it next to some meats!!!

Steve
    Founding Member

Steve:
    Thanks for the offer. I am pretty excited to get them both sighted in. I couldn't pass on a couple of other guns while I was there- really good prices!
    Brian

Sound like great prices I paid over $1000 for mine, have fun with your new rifles. I did find that they shoot better if you adjust the trigger down a bit. Other than adjusting my trigger and some minor polishing of the bolt and rails that is all I have done with mine. I really feel like they are one of the best rifles on the market right not for the money.

Steve
    Founding Member