Thread: Food Cache

Default Food Cache

I will be going on a 2 week walk in hunt for sheep this fall. I want to take a load of food in about a week before my hunt and do some scouting. How should I cache the food? Do I need a bear proof container, or will a buried dry bag work? It will be in Chugach State Park.

Default food cache

Depends on how long you cache the food ahead of when you actually go in for your hunt. There are actually a good # of bears in the park, both brown and esp. black. I would recommend some sort of bear proof container...otherwise you might be sheep hunting on reduced rations.

I live on the very northern edge of the park. Use a bear can!

I'd bring a bear can and only dried food, even then you'll attract bears, which as it turns out love sodas unopened cheatos and chocolate cake but don't like doritos so much
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Supply Caches

I have made caches in Hunter, Bird and Ship Creeks that have endured longer than one season. Always hang them high in trees. In Ship Creek just over Bird Pass I put them in the junipers just above the beaver pond. Never had a bear problem. Once a bear bit into my whiskey bottle but that had been left in an old wood stove on the ground. I have had more trouble with Parkii squirrels.