Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: 270 win. powder

  1. #1

    Default 270 win. powder

    What is your favorite powder in the 270. I will be loading 130 gr. and 140 gr. I had loads worked up for several different guns and calibers and had them stored on my computer. Some of them had labels in the boxes with load information in them the rest were lost when my computer crashed. I had all this information in my notes and I transfered it all to my computer. What a big mistake. I have several rifles that I have more than one of each caliber. I had worked up loads for each rifle and did not have two that shot the same load. What a big mistake I have made.

  2. #2

    Default

    The 270's that I have loaded are of the 150 GR HDY SP, Powder=H4831, 53 GRAINS. Being shot from a Ruger M77 and I'm pretty sure I got a 1 inch or less MOA. Just didn't take pics and it has been a couple of years and fortunately for me mine notes are still in a notebook.

    However, I also do computer repair for a living and, if your pc crashed as in the OS will not boot, you still might be able to recover your notes from the harddrive. Remove the harddrive and place it an external case and see if you can access it using another computer is one of the simplier and easiest way to recover data. If the harddrive is the issue, then it becomes more difficult. Anyway, hope this helps.

  3. #3
    Member 1Cor15:19's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Dillingham, AK
    Posts
    2,482

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cast Iron View Post
    What is your favorite powder in the 270. I will be loading 130 gr. and 140 gr. I had loads worked up for several different guns and calibers and had them stored on my computer. Some of them had labels in the boxes with load information in them the rest were lost when my computer crashed. I had all this information in my notes and I transfered it all to my computer. What a big mistake. I have several rifles that I have more than one of each caliber. I had worked up loads for each rifle and did not have two that shot the same load. What a big mistake I have made.
    I've used a lot of H4831 in the past, but switched 10 or 12 years ago to Reloader 22. I haven't found its equal in the 270.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Wasilla, Ak
    Posts
    3,909

    Default

    I'm pretty sure I have posted it a couple of times around here... 56.0gr h-4831 with 130 or 140 bullets cci 200 primers.

  5. #5

    Default

    Sometimes you have to learn the hard way. My entire windows got deleated from my laptop. It would not even come up to sign in to do anything. I had several pages of notes on each gun that I load for and entered them into my computer and did not see a need to keep the notes. I was going to copy them to a disc to have as a backup but never took the time to do it. What a foolish mistake I have made. I do load a few 150 gr. bullets for the 270 but mostly shoot the 130 or 140 gr. and if I need more usually change to a bigger gun. Thanks for all help and others post if you will.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    205

    Default

    I've used 52 grains of 414 under 130 grain cheepo corelokts for about 15 years and it works great. Don't know FPS but whatever gets hit, drops.

  7. #7
    Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Old Harbor, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    1,360

    Default

    59.5 grains of RL19 pushing a 130 Barnes MRX
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,448

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mt al View Post
    I've used 52 grains of 414 under 130 grain cheepo corelokts for about 15 years and it works great. Don't know FPS but whatever gets hit, drops.
    414?? I thought i was the only guy who shot that. It will work great in a .270. Its also good for a 30-06. My standard powder was 4350 but i got 3lbs of 414 for dirt cheap. it works just fine.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Saskatchewan
    Posts
    45

    Thumbs up

    Same as 323, 56.0gr H4831 and 140gr SST's or whatever tickles your fancy. No pressure signs, chrono at 2950 and above all, are extemely accurate.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Wasilla, Ak
    Posts
    3,909

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cast Iron View Post
    Sometimes you have to learn the hard way. My entire windows got deleated from my laptop. It would not even come up to sign in to do anything. I had several pages of notes on each gun that I load for and entered them into my computer and did not see a need to keep the notes. I was going to copy them to a disc to have as a backup but never took the time to do it. What a foolish mistake I have made. I do load a few 150 gr. bullets for the 270 but mostly shoot the 130 or 140 gr. and if I need more usually change to a bigger gun. Thanks for all help and others post if you will.
    That's really sucks hope you can recover it but if u list windows sounds like starting from scratch.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Eureka MT
    Posts
    3,048

    Default

    H414 has another name and if I remember right it's W760. I use it occassionally.

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cast Iron View Post
    What is your favorite powder in the 270. I will be loading 130 gr. and 140 gr. I had loads worked up for several different guns and calibers and had them stored on my computer. Some of them had labels in the boxes with load information in them the rest were lost when my computer crashed. I had all this information in my notes and I transfered it all to my computer. What a big mistake. I have several rifles that I have more than one of each caliber. I had worked up loads for each rifle and did not have two that shot the same load. What a big mistake I have made.
    If by "crashed" you mean your computer will no longer boot up on that hard drive, you may be able to still recover data from it. I've been able to install a new hard drive in computers with the old hard drive wired up as a "slave" drive. IE: two hard drives: machine boots up on the new hard drive, but you can still read files and data from the old drive. Any computer store can set it up for you. Might work for you. Maybe.
    Or, if by now you went out and bought a new computer, you can have somebody slave the old hard drive into it. Just a thought.

    Marshall/Ak
    "I love my country...it's the government I'm scared of"

  13. #13
    Member walk-in's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    North Pole
    Posts
    771

    Default

    I've been very pleased with IMR 4831 in both my 270 and '06.
    We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
    James Madison

  14. #14

    Default

    Thirty-some years ago when I had a 270 I was very fond of H4831. Nowadays I think I'd give R22 a try...
    "I love my country...it's the government I'm scared of"

  15. #15
    Member pinehavensredrocket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    wisconsin
    Posts
    759

    Default

    i bought 8 # of "magnum powder" by accurate arms, and found it nearly identical to h4831. over my cronograph the 130gr hornady interlock nearly 3133fps.
    happy trails.
    jh

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •