Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Guy just Reading and Learning.... from Iowa

Default New Guy just Reading and Learning.... from Iowa

We are considering our first ever trip to Alaska either in 2012 or 13. Rather than ask a bunch of stupid questions I am just going to hang out for a while. Lots of interests, retired but do a lot of shooting & reloading. Have my own home metal working / fab shop with way too many tools. Was a master electrician and then union refrigeration pipefitter doing commercial HVAC work. Taught the subjects for 12 years and then retired. Oh and I have a 1998 583 Ski Doo snowmobile I hope I have fixed so it runs on the snow this year.

Pretty sure we are going to tow a camper (Chevy Silverado 4wd) either a pop up soft side or the newer hard sided ones and camp along the way. Stopping in Dawson Creek to see a cousin who lives and farms in the area.

Thanks for letting me on board

Welcome aboard, and if you hang out here for any length of time you'll quickly realize the number of dumb questions are far overshadowed by the number of dumb answers.

So, by all means, ask away.

How long of a visit are you planning and what kind of things do you have an hankering to do whilst you're here?
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Welcome to the forum. Now get off here and go root for your Iowa St Cyclones!!!

Quote Originally Posted by wmgeorge View Post
    Rather than ask a bunch of stupid questions I am just going to hang out for a while.
    That statement alone is enough to earn you some early rep points!

Welcome and have fun reading and learning! Be sure to go back and check out some of the oldest threads.
    Inspiration is simply the momentary cessation of stupidity.

The only dumb question at the moment.
    I have a 1/2 Chevy pickup V8 and set up for towing I would just as soon not pull a full sized camping trailer. Leaning towards either a used pop up camper or one of the more expensive folding hard side camper like the Forest River T12RS. Reasons. I think it rains a lot up in Alaska and the soft side pop up sides would be put away wet at times?? B the Bears. I have an assortment of guns to bring along for last ditch chances but with needing to travel through Canada is it even worth the bother? The one handgun I would take in the camper (if I could) would be a 45 ACP in a 1911 series. But that cartridge I would not trust against a bear unless I went to Corbon, Buffalo Bore or similar. So that leaves my 12 gauge shotgun with slugs or heavy buckshot.

But maybe I don't need either, and the hard sided folder would be a bit more protection at night and in storms.

It can indeed rain a lot at times. I don't have experience with soft sided campers, but yes, you'd likely be putting it away wet at times. No guarantees, of course - you could hit a weeks-long high pressure that brings clear skies, but certainly plan on rain and be thankful if it turns out you didn't need to.

As for firearms, I wouldn't bother, especially given the headache that it is to bring one through Canada. Though bears should be considered, the reality is that bear attacks are very rare and simply practicing wise bear country behaviors will address 99% of the risk. If you'd like something for protection, buy a canister of bear spray when you get to Tok and pass it along when you leave the state. Bear spray is very effective when used properly.

B the Bears. I have an assortment of guns to bring along for last ditch chances but with needing to travel through Canada is it even worth the bother? The one handgun I would take in the camper (if I could) would be a 45 ACP in a 1911 series. But that cartridge I would not trust against a bear unless I went to Corbon, Buffalo Bore or similar. So that leaves my 12 gauge shotgun with slugs or heavy buckshot.
    Having cruised through Canada quite a few times, I'd say, "for sure,.... skip the firearms through Canada, idea"

They are really adamantly nervous about firearms at the border,
    especially handguns,
    "your .45 would be like having the Devil himself sitting in your backseat or something,....no kidding."

as Brian mentions, just the standard Bear Issue Avoidance at your camp site, will be all you need through that country

If you search thru the Relocating Forums you'll find quite a few discussions about this from others,
    and tho you can get your hunting rifles approved, with a fair amount of paperwork and red tape, etc.
    It's really not necessary for Bear Protection.

The Border Guards might seem like a "Full-On Grizzly Attack," to your peace of mind.

Have also heard of serious fines being levied especially for a "stashed ( they'll read it, "smuggled,...") handgun"
    so,
    as much as it is a hassle to think on "Non US of American" terms, make no mistake about this area, with those guys

Welcome to the Forums,
    and by the way, "THAT,...was definitely NOT a dumb question."
    Have Fun with the planning
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

All good advise given thank you. I would rather Not shoot a bear, and if the common sense rules outlined here and some bear spray work then I will leave my gun at home. Seems funny I've had a carry permit for nearly 20 years and now when I could really use it I can't.
    But if a bears only sin is that it likes to roam around at night and eat garbage, seems a shame to shoot one for that. I'd think a few humans could be in that category!

Ahhh, the "bearanoid" newbie.... much scarier than any ursine critter!
    "– Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

If you really want the 1911 for 2 legged protection which is a much bigger threat in my mind, you can find a dealer to ship it to and then have it shipped back when you leave AK. May not be worth it to you but it is a way to get your handgun to AK.

Well I have did some research and found out that Canada will issue a permit to transport a handgun with a barrel over 4 inches and I think my 1911 qualifies. Once again not sure its worth the problems bringing it in. I'm sure Alaska allows handguns as it makes common sense. I have no delusions about 45 ACP, its a short range, slow round but an effective man stopper with the proper ammo. A lot of military special forces and police are dumping the 9mm and going back to it. I've shot/owned one since about 1962 and consider myself a decent shot and not a newbie city boy but a farm raised kid who likes to shoot. Anyway thanks for the instructive post!

Hope I didn't excaggerate the, "Canadians and guns," thing, just cautioning, as they seem to be pretty conservative about them.

If you remember (not sure how soon you are coming up) it would be cool if you posted some detail as to how that goes at the border.

I'm a bit paranoid maybe, just don't like the idea of being asked to pull over to the side and get out of my car, come upstairs, etc.... at border crossings

I'll be running a fishing boat up from Seattle to Kodiak in spring and having brought my. 243 down as airplane luggage, to do a little hunting and shooting for recreation while here, now I'm wondering if I should ship it up on my return or bring it along on board, try to do the permit process and maybe "cause my own delays (?)" at the border........???

Would really like to do a Black Bear hunt in Southeast on my way through so really interested in how easy it might be to slide through Canada with a rifle on board

So, let us know if you go for the process, thanks
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Well I have did some research and found out that Canada will issue a permit to transport a handgun with a barrel over 4 inches and I think my 1911 qualifies. Once again not sure its worth the problems bringing it in.
    Yes, Canada will issue an ATT permit. No, it isn't worth the hassle.

Canada has three classes of firearms. Most rifles and shotguns are "non-restricted", the permit can be worth the hassle. Handguns that are not prohibited are "restricted", the permit must be applied for in advance of travel, and is rarely worth the considerable hassle, unless you're going to travel through Canada regularly. If you need a handgun in Alaska, it's much easier to mail it.

I don't think kodiakrain exaggerated at all. It's prudent, not paranoid, to be cautious at border crossings.
    Inspiration is simply the momentary cessation of stupidity.

You are going to love driving around and camping Alaska. Leave the hand cannon and bring a pump shotgun, in 8 years of traveling all over Alaska camping in campgrounds and the bush I have had zero bear trouble.

If you just have to have your hand gun, get an FFL to mail it to an FFL in Alaska and pick it up once you get here, having traveled through Canada I would not try to bring a hand gun with me.

Enjoy the trip, mine was awesome.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Yeah, I did the reading on the permit thing and even if the handgun barrel is over 4 inches it seems like an iffy process. Must be a lot of gun crimes in Canada (kidding) for them to be so paranoid. I do have a 12 gauge pump shotgun with a 20 inch barrel and Hy Vis sights installed, that will be my camping gun.
    We are not going until 2013 as my wife already has 2012 planned out.
    Gold Rush Alaska... I watch this show and get a kick out of it. They are placing Dawson City Yukon Territory Canada in Alaska! It is amazing they can't dig where the gold is suppose to be, so they dig across the creek? I sure hope the producers of the show are paying the Hoffman's, as it looks like they won't be getting any gold again this year.

Just a thought- the laws may be different in the various provinces, but when I was in Manitoba the ammunition had to be stored in a separate area from the gun while in the vehicle (makes it kind of hard to use for protection).

I would strongly heed the advice of the other comments to ship one up and ship it back. Remember the best defense is using common sense and being aware of potential issues! I hope your plans work out.

I just transported a shotgun through Canada, and back again. No big deal. Just know the rules, have the declaration form filled out in advance, declare the weapon at the border, pay the $25 fee. Done.

Everything you need to know is here: http://cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/media/facts-faits/097-eng.html

The form is here: http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/f...om/679-eng.htm
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    I just transported a shotgun through Canada, and back again.

Everything you need to know is here.......

Excellent, Thanks for the links

Thanks to iofthetaiga the law I was referring to was there in plain print in the link.

Transporting Firearms

Canadian law states that you have to transport all firearms unloaded. If you are transporting them in a vehicle, they must be kept out of sight in a part of a vehicle that is kept locked (the trunk, if there is one), unless the vehicle is supervised by an adult. You have to transport restricted and prohibited firearms in a locked case and equip them with locked safety devices to prevent firing. Antique handguns do not require a secure locking device, although all other transportation provisions apply.

KR, if you,re going Seattle to Kodiak, be sure to plan a port of call for Canadian Customs. If the Canadian CG checks you enroute and you have an undeclared firearm on board, you're hosed.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast