Thread: Aleutin Island Ptarmigan

Default Aleutin Island Ptarmigan

Anyone ever hunt ptarm on any of the Aluetin Islands? I know you can fly commercially to at least Adak. I've read many stories and seen lots of pictures of guys hunting caribou down there, and getting into big flocks of ptarm on side trips. Interetsing thought, with the availability of a commercial flight. Using milage, it may not be that expensive. Maybe not something a guy does every year, but a cool once in a life time hunt! A week down there running dogs, sounds like it would be pretty fun. Any info, or thoughts?
    "If I could shoot a game bird and still not hurt it, the way I can take a trout on a fly and release it, I doubt if I would kill another one." George Bird Evans

Hoyt, I had the same thought earlier this year. I posted this thread in the Alaska Hunting forum to generate some more responses from guys that probably go there for the caribou.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ties?highlight

From the responses and a couple private messages, I think it sounds like a slam dunk. Dog arrangements would be an extra cost and effort but could probably be done cheaply versus going to many other "destinations." If you like waterfowling, it could be a really cool combo effort. I have a few PMs from guys that might help out if you get serious about this trip.

Prairie Guy
    Go Big Red!

Sorry don't have any current info.... I was stationed on Adak back in the 60's... and on the north side of Clam Lagoon, (Nav Comm Sta) there is a draw or valley going up and away from the lagoon... There was an unmaintained gravel road going up the draw.. I could hike up gravel track getting my fill of wing shooting... I'd imagine the unmaintained road is totally overgrown with vegetation by now.. which would be a plus for the P-birds... However, the island was heavily infested with Norwegian Wharf Rats and they could have a very adverse effect on the Ptarmigan nests... Clam Lagoon was fabulous water fowling... I and a buddy used to set on the sea wall every afternoon during the season shooting at fast flying sea ducks... Over on the NOrth side of the island, where a little creek fed into the Bering Sea we had some logs thrown up as a blind and it worked great for getting a limit of Emporer Geese... but I think they are off limits now... Great memories....

I also know from experience that certain areas of the Ak Peninsula are absolutely thick with ptarmigan. There are a few rivers I've been on that have regularly been a case of catching salmon and trophy sized rainbows and sitting in camp watching as dozens of the birds wander between the tents and scurry all over the beach. A dog would be fun in that situation, but having hiked along the ridges there and flushed birds by the hundreds, a dog wouldn't be vital, altho' it would be a hoot.
    Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously. ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Hoyt,

Better places to go than Adak. Many places on the Alaska Peninsula where I've been on mag assignments fly fishing and would love to go back to with a dog, a shotgun, and a fly rod. But if your looking for great ptarmigan hunting in a place where you can fly to and use your frequent flier miles, well than I'd go to...

Too tired right now and I'm in search of dinner. Perhaps I'll finish this later? :-)

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McCann View Post
    Hoyt,

Better places to go than Adak. Many places on the Alaska Peninsula where I've been on mag assignments fly fishing and would love to go back to with a dog, a shotgun, and a fly rod. But if your looking for great ptarmigan hunting in a place where you can fly to and use your frequent flier miles, well than I'd go to...

Too tired right now and I'm in search of dinner. Perhaps I'll finish this later? :-)

Jim
    One of the companies I guide with has the permits in place to offer ptarmigan/fishing Cast&Blast float trips out there. Dawned on me after my earlier post.
    Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously. ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Good info guys...Just looking for a cool adventure with my dog. There are many great spots around the interior for ptarm, but a week out in the middle of no where, where birds haven't seen a human....it just seems like it would be fun as hell. Jim I'm all ears...I want to plan a trip out there! PG-13 I would love to hear any info you have! Maybe a couple guys from this forum?
    "If I could shoot a game bird and still not hurt it, the way I can take a trout on a fly and release it, I doubt if I would kill another one." George Bird Evans

Ok, I'm rested and fed so here's a trip I plan on doing for ptarmigan: Nome. I'm thinking of going out there this spring, but it would be loads of fun to do it in the fall and also enjoy some fantastic dry fly action for huge arctic grayling.

It would be an expensive trip, but not nearly as much as a fly-out on the Alaska Peninsula out of say, King Salmon.

Cold Bay would be another frequent flier destination.

There are so many other remote places that come into my mind, but each of them is quite expensive. Several places in the arctic come to mind.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McCann View Post
    Ok, I'm rested and fed so here's a trip I plan on doing for ptarmigan: Nome. I'm thinking of going out there this spring, but it would be loads of fun to do it in the fall and also enjoy some fantastic dry fly action for huge arctic grayling.

It would be an expensive trip, but not nearly as much as a fly-out on the Alaska Peninsula out of say, King Salmon.

Cold Bay would be another frequent flier destination.

There are so many other remote places that come into my mind, but each of them is quite expensive. Several places in the arctic come to mind.

Jim
    Jim,
    I've thought about Nome as well. I have a contact out there they may be able to help piece a trip like this together. Im dead serious about doing something like this. Grayling fishing out there would be phenomenal. What about the Kotz area? Anyone with info on these areas, I would love to hear it. PM me if you wish. Jim I have 4 and 5 days off in a row depending on what part of my work schedule Im on. Im ready if you are!

Hoyt, I have spent quite a bit of time at all these locations including Adak the last two years. Alaska Peninsula is the ptarm factory with large flocks of birds that are easy to find. Adak has steady action of small covies, but nothing like the AK Pen. Nome is a great place if you want birds and grayling. Biggest dumbest grayling and char I have ever fished for. Hundreds of miles of road system out of Nome provide lots of options to cover country.

Kotzebue would be great in the fall, especially along the Wulik River, and again with the fly rod along for those really big char. I wish I still had an airplane.

Sounds like I have some planning to do............

I went to Nome this fall for a week and had a good time with Ember and a couple friends...will post pictures when I get a bit more time.
    I would like to take a ptarmigan trip (maybe better as a cast and blast) south west way some day too....

How was the hunting Burke? Did yo have to travel far to get into birds? You can PM if you want. Any info would be appreciated.

You might have a look at our Adak Caribou page; it needs to be updated, but it has some good general info that might help you. I know it's about caribou, but still...

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Thanks Mike!

Quote Originally Posted by Hoyt View Post
    Thanks Mike!
    If anyone has additional input on Adak, including corrections, please send it to me (photos welcome). We want to keep this info current and accurate!

Thanks!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Quote Originally Posted by Hoyt View Post
    Did you have to travel far to get into birds?
    It looks like there is quite a bit of native land immediately surrounding most of the villages, but there is state and BLM land available nearby.

sewpen.pdf
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Charterboat Operator

Not Adak, but if i was to try again for Ptarmys, Cold Bay would be my FIRST choice. During the fall there are some awsome waterfowl days out in the Izembek refuge, never seen such big flocks of Brant and inland Ptarms EVERYWHERE. just sayin