Thread: 500 S&W locked up.

Default 500 S&W locked up.

Interesting. My 500 S&W is locked up and I think the little lock on the side is the problem. First I have never used the lock so know nothing about the lock. Heres the story. Was out on a four wheeler and cracked off a round. I opened the cylinder replaced the spent round and closed the cylinder. Got home and attempted to unload the weapon and find that I can't. No function at all. Can't move the cylinder catch, can't pull hammer back and can't pull the trigger. I visually check the barrel cylinder gap and the cylinder frame gap all seems well there. Tried thumping the cylinder hard with my hand and accomplished nothing. I can however shake the dun and it now rattles. Here's the question. Can that little lock in the gun come loose and lock up the action? Can I take the gun apart and repair/remove the lock? Has this happened to anyone else? Any help suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Sounds like the indexing hand has a problem/ Should be under warranty. Contact Smith.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

One of possibly three things, First, the extractor rod may have become unscrewed and effectively made the cylinder/rod assembly too long to turn or open. Second, a hard blow to the side of the cylinder could have bent the center pin, preventing it from travelling into the back of the extractor. Or, perhaps the lock is loose, but I haven't seen that, YET. Try this, depress the cylinder locking bolt underneath the cylinder with a small blade or something similar, at the same time, rotate the cylinder in the normal direction, counter-clockwise, while holding your thumb or finger against the ejector rod. If the rod has become unscrewed, this will screw it back in. Usually about 3 full rotations will do it. Maybe it will take 4. Don't use pliers or a hammer on anything. That will just make things worse.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

braO1, Don't think Smith wants it right now since it is fully loaded.

Gunbugs, 1. Not sure what you are explaining here but the extractor rod does seem to be ok, 2. Think I can rule this out as I wearing it in a chest holster and would have noticed a hit that hard, 3. Tried this and can not stop the rod from turning when cylinder is turned so I guess it is tight.

Did discover what the rattle could be. The little devise inside the weapon which prevents from letting the hammer hit if the weapon is accidently dropped is NOT in a grove in the side plate as it is in all the other models.

Got a few thing to do this morning and will start a teardown mid morning, see what is inside one and what happened. Wish me luck.

Please keep us informed as to the problem.

I've got to take mine apart and replace the cylinder stop spring - be good to know what else I need to look out for when I have it down.

Quote Originally Posted by redale View Post
    Got a few thing to do this morning and will start a teardown mid morning, see what is inside one and what happened. Wish me luck.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

It's easy to open an S&W revolver with a small screw driver. Depress the spring loaded plunger held in the shroud that locks the froward end of the ejector rod. If the thumb latch is loose, the ejector rod is unscrewed, (It is left hand thread) or the rod is dinged up at the front end from recoil. If any of those the small screw driver will work to depress he spring loaded, barrel shroud mounted plunger that goes into the hollow housing for the ejector rod. Try that.
    Mike

Well took the side plate off removed the little part that keeps it from firing when dropped and messed with the thumb latch from the inside and got the cylinder to sing and unloaded the weapon. Much better now. Still can't see anything wrong. Nothing broken, bent or badly worn parts and it works now. There are a few now parts in the x frame that the older models did not have. Looks like one could remove the lock if one wanted to have a hole in the gun frame. I left it, doesn't look like it can accidently cause any trouble. I tried the same 5 cartridges that were in it when it froze and it opens and closes just fine no marks on the cases. Will fiddle with it a little more to see if I can figure out why it froze. There is suppose to be a S&W factory armor in Anchorage so will see if I can find him and get it looked at by someone who knows more than I do. Thanks for all the replys and if I get some information I will be sure to share it.

Bummer- until you find out what went wrong it is hard to trust the gun again.

You could just send it back to S&W - they will pay shipping both ways but you would never know if they really fixed the problem ot not.

I think I will locktite the silly lock on mine when I tear it down just to be on the safe side but I've fired close to 1000 rds with no problems so far.

Kepp us informed if you do find anything.

THANKS!

Well took the side plate off removed the little part that keeps it from firing when dropped and messed with the thumb latch from the inside and got the cylinder to sing and unloaded the weapon. Much better now. Still can't see anything wrong. Nothing broken, bent or badly worn parts and it works now. There are a few now parts in the x frame that the older models did not have. Looks like one could remove the lock if one wanted to have a hole in the gun frame. I left it, doesn't look like it can accidently cause any trouble. I tried the same 5 cartridges that were in it when it froze and it opens and closes just fine no marks on the cases. Will fiddle with it a little more to see if I can figure out why it froze. There is suppose to be a S&W factory armor in Anchorage so will see if I can find him and get it looked at by someone who knows more than I do. Thanks for all the replys and if I get some information I will be sure to share it.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Good news today. I called S&W and they gave me a shipping label. Sent the gun in, it returned today and the return as well as all repairs were NO CHARGE.
    I'll give you the list of what they repaired.

customer complaint : cyl. cramps
    cut forcing cone
    replace hand
    replace trigger
    replace ext.

The weapon was also test fired so I feel confident any problems were addressed.

All in all so far pretty good service and the price can't be beat.

S&W has been THE leader in revolver development so some bugs will certainly arise with new and pushing the existing technology.

Fortunately S&W stands behind their products and will address and correct any problems that arise: all at no cost to their customers as you just found.

Do you have any idea how old or new your revolver is? If is an early one they may have updated it to the latest parts etc. based on the several years of experience.

Good news today. I called S&W and they gave me a shipping label. Sent the gun in, it returned today and the return as well as all repairs were NO CHARGE.
    I'll give you the list of what they repaired.

customer complaint : cyl. cramps
    cut forcing cone
    replace hand
    replace trigger
    replace ext.

The weapon was also test fired so I feel confident any problems were addressed.

All in all so far pretty good service and the price can't be beat.

Now that is a thought, never dawn on me that there were model changes. Well can't remember when I bought this but I know 5-6 years ago. It does not have a dash after the 500 so I assume that the this is an original design without any changes but then again I don't know of any 500 with the dash number designation. Does anyone else? How many changes have been made?

They make little refinements to the parts, assembly posses, and repair procedures all the time, these are not a model change and wouldn’t be reflected in the numbers. With the 460V I know there are at least 4 different forcing cone profiles they have used as the model has evolved, and likely a long list of other stuff but the model of all of them is still 460V.

Ruger does the same thing, send it back with a broken part and you will get the latest version of that part put in it . . . and if it‘s an old Blackhawk they toss in a transfer bar like it or not.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I don't hear a lot from the Ruger guys that complain about the locks on newer S&Ws on those stupid transfer bars.

At least S&W does not install the locks in older guns sent back for repairs

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    They make little refinements to the parts, assembly posses, and repair procedures all the time, these are not a model change and wouldn’t be reflected in the numbers. With the 460V I know there are at least 4 different forcing cone profiles they have used as the model has evolved, and likely a long list of other stuff but the model of all of them is still 460V.

Ruger does the same thing, send it back with a broken part and you will get the latest version of that part put in it . . . and if it‘s an old Blackhawk they toss in a transfer bar like it or not.