Thread: Knight Island Deer

Default Knight Island Deer

Has anyone ever had any luck with deer hunting on Knight Island in PWS? I've gone hunting three years in a row now kn PWS, first two trips we went to Knight, and this most recent one we went to Naked. The first trip to Knight, three guys, one guy shot one deer, all three shot a black bear. Second trip to Knight, three guys, no deer shot and one black bear. Now, my most recent trip to Naked, we went with 5 guys, and we got two deer.

Now, it seems to me that Knight Island is a lot of steep terrain, with some thick brush thrown in to the most inconvenient spots, and all in all, a difficult place to hunt. Our trips out there were there in mid-October, and it hadn't snowed yet. We saw signs of an active deer population up in the higher spots, but besides the one taken the first trip, we didn't manage to sigh any actual deer.

Are the deer on Knight Island just spread thin, or was this hunter error in not approaching the hunt right?

Quote Originally Posted by itsfortybelow View Post
    Has anyone ever had any luck with deer hunting on Knight Island in PWS? I've gone hunting three years in a row now kn PWS, first two trips we went to Knight, and this most recent one we went to Naked. The first trip to Knight, three guys, one guy shot one deer, all three shot a black bear. Second trip to Knight, three guys, no deer shot and one black bear. Now, my most recent trip to Naked, we went with 5 guys, and we got two deer.

Now, it seems to me that Knight Island is a lot of steep terrain, with some thick brush thrown in to the most inconvenient spots, and all in all, a difficult place to hunt. Our trips out there were there in mid-October, and it hadn't snowed yet. We saw signs of an active deer population up in the higher spots, but besides the one taken the first trip, we didn't manage to sigh any actual deer.

Are the deer on Knight Island just spread thin, or was this hunter error in not approaching the hunt right?
    knight is alot of country to cover, and there really arent many deer on any of those islands....naked is better IMO, and I find Perry way easier to hunt with a better success rate...my plan would be during that time of year or later, hunt the beaches in the AM and evening, and hunt high up during the day....

Release Lake Trout

Has anyone been out in the last few weeks? I'm headed out on Thursday! Looking at knight or naked weather depending. Is anyone's else headed out thanksgiving weekend?

We went to Naked 5-11th. The deer are all down off the high spots, and I'd say within the first 100ft from tidewater. When we were there at least, they stuck to the thick brushy areas close to the beach, which also all seem to be on an incline.

Quote Originally Posted by itsfortybelow View Post
    We went to Naked 5-11th. The deer are all down off the high spots, and I'd say within the first 100ft from tidewater. When we were there at least, they stuck to the thick brushy areas close to the beach, which also all seem to be on an incline.
    figured as much theyd be on the beaches by now.....how much snow cover over there?

Release Lake Trout

4-5 inches in that first 100ft, although the higher spots have an easy 12-18 inches. Probably more now though, since it started to snow as we left.

We used to hunt Naked every year in October. Hunted all the way to top of island and always got a deer or two, mostly does, but we would only see maybe one or two per day and they often saw us first so it was tough to get a good shot. Have also hunted Knight, Perry, and Culross with limited success. There are deer but the density is just not that high. I used my own boat and we always fought the weather to the point that it seemed quite dangerous at times (10' seas in a 22' boat). The last year we went we spent 4 days fighting weather and 1 day hunting. Finally decided that it was not worth it and have been hunting Kodiak every year since. Much better deer hunting on kodiak but it is a more expensive hunt and we have brown bear "issues" every year, but to me it is worth it. Two of my three kids have shot their first deer on Kodiak and it is always a great hunt. Also hunted Montague twice and saw a lots of deer, at least 10 per day, and had much better success there compared to other PWS Islands.

Four of us filled our tags in 36 hours hunting Story, Peak, and Naked last week.

CMD,
    ****, I glad to hear that ya killed them out there. Thursday cant come soon enough, How was the weather out there i know the weather reports didnt look to good last week.

I didn't go to Knight Island, but still out in the PWS area and we got 8.

So,...are you guys gonna post pics or tell stories on these great PWS hunts?

C'mon, you could really make this thread a cause for hyperventilating,

With just a few pics of hunting the Sound in Winter

please,...... and good looong stalking detail stories
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Hey +1 to what KODIAKRAIN said. Please give us some details and a few pictures. When you have time of course.

weather looks great 1 more day of work then off to PWS deer hunting cant wait!!

I keep hearing that Montague has some good deer but that is a heck of a haul this time of year. There is a lot of chance that weather will be beating on your boat. Flying in would get you past the waves but the wind and visibility would still be a factor.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskabliss View Post
    I keep hearing that Montague has some good deer but that is a heck of a haul this time of year. There is a lot of chance that weather will be beating on your boat. Flying in would get you past the waves but the wind and visibility would still be a factor.
    A plane isn't always the best way to go either. A big charter boat, one that can handle pretty good seas, is the most reliable way to go. The main thing is to plan your hunt so you'll be based out of a protected cove for drop off and pick up. A big boat can travel in conditions a plane won't; low visibility (fog), night, and winds that prevent take off and landing.

I met some guys from the Valley a few years back, in Cordova, who had finally gotten picked up on Hinchinbrook by their plane something like 10 days late. Their trip had started off great, cold, snow, good hunting. The cold and snow made for good meat storage. Then a huge storm hit and warmed things up considerably and the warmth and rain melted all the snow. Then meat storage got shaky. Let's just say, when they got to Cordova, I'm not sure which smelled more funky, them or their deer. They sure were happy to be on their way home tho.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

We've spent a good deal of time on Knight Island in the last few years. There are deer but there seems to be a very healthy population of black bear too and I think that is making the deer skittish and hard to find. This fall we limited out on bears in the second day of our trip and had to fend off the others that came by camp. I can't blame the deer for hiding away!

For those looking to get to Montague for deer next season give Matt Kline a call with Aquatech llc transporter out of Whittier. He took us to Montigue late November last year and dropped us off at Port Chalmers Bay. He has a special made boat that is wide and has alot of deck space for gear that made the terribly terribly rough seas doable. Plenty of deer and a great cabin to base your hunt out of. We saw about 100 deer in the 6 days we were there, plenty of large bodied bucks including a couple bruiser racks!!! We were there for the first week of snow and had success low and high terrain. That is a huge island with alot to offer, just make sure you have some good hiking shoes, you will want to cover alot of land. We had 4 folks and left with 9 bucks and 2 does. We had those in the first 3 days and trophy hunted after that. Like I said give Matt a call, he has a first class boat and personality.

So where are the pictures from this great hunt??? Remeber, its only a campfire story till you show us proof! Glad you had fun. Was Matt reasonable price wise?