Thread: "Quick Steering" For Outboard Jets

Default "Quick Steering" For Outboard Jets

Fast responsive steering really helps while running through tight spots. In Idaho, you see stick steering, in western Washington and Oregon you see tiller steering on outboard jets. One of the popular fearures of a sport jet is it's fast steering. A regular helm with an outboard is about 4 turns lock to lock. A sport jet is about is about 3/4 turn lock to lock and the "Quick Steering" for outboard jets made by Flow-Tec is about 1 1/2 turns lock to lock. I had a customer in Idaho try one and really liked it. We just installed one in a 17' Alaskan w/ a 140 suzuki and I tested it for the first time yesterday. I was concerned it would feel heavy, it didn't. It's based on a rack steering system and does need more room than a rotary system. The rack is about 20" long. MSRP is $499 (tilt is optional). You should be able to order this system thru any marina.- Glen

Photos show difference between the rack quick steer and a rotary helm.

This is the boat we tested it on.

Man, this seems to finally answer a question I asked you several years ago. There is a post on the topic somewhere around here as well. Before I order one this spring will it likely fit the older narrow 17' Alaskans? Mine is a '93 with a merc 90.

Dash area is what is needed to fit the rack. It's 20in with the helm in the center. My friend in Idaho installed one in a older 16 Alaskan. Glen

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Wooldridge View Post
    Dash area is what is needed to fit the rack. It's 20in with the helm in the center. My friend in Idaho installed one in a older 16 Alaskan. Glen
    Thanks, it sounds promising. I guess a tape measure is in order! To bad the boat is covered and sitting in the yard and the temp is well below freezing... Some time in the heated shop this spring should provide the answers.

Looks like a nice setup. I sure miss the quick steering my sport jet had.

Has anyone ever made a steering nozzle for an outboard jet like an inboard jet has? You would mount the motor stationary and just turn the nozzle. It wouldn't be for people who switch from jet to prop often.

How does this quick steering rack work with a prop?

Just in case you guys wonder about Flow-Tec. He has been building helms for a long time and finally decided to do one for an outboard. Almost any North River jet boat has one as well as his throttle/shift linkage. He has a fine reputation around the Jet boat world.

I have his setup in my boat, plus, he was the one who dealt with the ecotec's here in the states. He has helped me a bunch with questions and little setup issues. Sam Bass is just a stand up fellow.

Just my .02
    09 River Wild, 3 stages, LS power

Quote Originally Posted by c-bolt View Post
    Just in case you guys wonder about Flow-Tec. He has been building helms for a long time and finally decided to do one for an outboard. Almost any North River jet boat has one as well as his throttle/shift linkage. He has a fine reputation around the Jet boat world.

I have his setup in my boat, plus, he was the one who dealt with the ecotec's here in the states. He has helped me a bunch with questions and little setup issues. Sam Bass is just a stand up fellow.

Just my .02
    I'll 2nd that! Sam is a great and if he's making it I'm sure it's good. We use only Flow-Tec controls and steering on our Phantom diesel hamilton packages. The main components are all billet machined aluminum and well made.

Here is a video with Grant Wooldridge testing out the new quick steer system on an Alaskan. Notice how he doesn't need to take his hands off the wheel........Click on videos then "Flow Tec Quick Steering"

http://www.wooldridgeboats.com/catalog/products/alaskan

-Glen

Thanks for the link! This is going to be a must have for what I like to do.

Does the steering lock? For instance, if you put it at 1/2 turn does it stay there if you let go or will the boat straighten out some like the full turn kind?

How about going slow. I don't mind the conventional steering going fast but get very tired of turning the wheel all the way around constantly when navigating slowly through sloughs and such. Especially since I am usually standing and looking for game, logs etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Daved View Post
    Does the steering lock? For instance, if you put it at 1/2 turn does it stay there if you let go or will the boat straighten out some like the full turn kind?

How about going slow. I don't mind the conventional steering going fast but get very tired of turning the wheel all the way around constantly when navigating slowly through sloughs and such. Especially since I am usually standing and looking for game, logs etc.
    #1. No it doesn't lock. There are systems that the motor won't turn the wheel. Hyd systems and no feed back cable systems. #2 The quick steering is great going slow with currents, wind, around dock's, loading on a trailer ect. Glen

There are a few makers out there producing the Rack type systems, is the "speed" rack something that is unique to flow-tec? Or would any rack type steering give the same speed, or more speed than a rotary?

Re-read the first post, flow tech is based on a rack, and in looking at the teleflex rack, no mention of speed. Think I answered my own question. Thanks

I just installed the quick steer system in my little 1452 Alweld. I have a 22" wide center console and it just barely fit by mounting the rack diagonal. No way it is going to fit under a smaller console unless the cable runs out the side rather than down. Steering is quick with no slop and it turns just as easy as the standard rotary helm. One of the only things I miss from my old sportjet is the steering but now we have the fast steering back. Now we just need some soft water to go try it out, all the rivers around here are still hard as rock.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Is Flow-tec still in business? Just did an Internet search for them and can't find it. Does anyone have contact info and part numbers for this setup?
    20' Wooldridge Sport 08' 150hp E-Tec
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

Sam Bass (541) 679-7458 is the number I used.

He doesn't have a website, but he should. He does some really nice work.
    09 River Wild, 3 stages, LS power

Thanks I will give him a call
    20' Wooldridge Sport 08' 150hp E-Tec
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

I am the friend from Idaho. I have installed the quick steer in 3 Wooldridges. A 16' Alaskan outboard, 18' low sided classic 350 3-stage and a 25' 460 3-stage classic. The installs were straight forward. Just a couple things to watch out for. On the two shorter boats I had to angle the rack from 10 to 4 and run the cable under the gunnel. With the 3-stage pumps you may need to get a different mount on the transom to hold the cable, one I had to the other one worked. You also need to put a plate one the turning bar one the pump to raise the attachment point for the cable about 4" Sam at quick steer as them. At the stock attachment point the steering is a little stiff up 4 " you can one hand it and keep the other hand on the gas after you raise the cable attachment point to around 8" from the center of the turning rod on the pump.

If this setup was around 25 years ago when I put a stick in my 22' classic I would still be running a wheel boat. When running a stick in skinny water it's not comfortable to stand up to drive with a stick in one hand and gas in the other. With a wheel you can stand and brace with the wheel and keep a hand on the gas. Oh and be for you bolt every thing in place make sure your turn nozel is going to the stop at the pump. One of the 3-stages was a T-3 and the other a Pozi both work great

Very interested in this setup. I have a 19 foot custom welded boat (North River esque) with a 200 Yamaha VMAX outboard jet. Seeing that this was installed on a 25' boat, I assume that it should work fine for a 200HP. I'm having a hard time understanding how it isn't unbearably hard to turn the wheel with that little of reduction and no feedback clutch. I'm currently rocking the teleflex Safe-T steering (severely underspec'd for this engine) and I can barely turn the motor sometimes. How does this system handle this load while my current rotary setup does not?

--Micah