Thread: Matanuska or Little Sue Moose

Default Matanuska or Little Sue Moose

How the pressure on the south side of the Matanuska, between Sutton and the Chickaloon. It dosen't look very accessable from the ground. I am trying to figure out where to moose hunt this fall. Will be boating in to someplace. Anyone have any sugestions? I am also thinking the lower Little Sue from the inlet. Anyone ever done that, cross the inlet and run up the Little Sue from the mouth, is it accessable by boat?

I have heard that is a good area for bears. I would imagine moose as well but the river keeps most people from venturing there I would say. Keeps me out anyway.

I am almost positive accross from Chickaloon it is alot of private land.

Hunted the lower little Sue quite a bit. You won't be alone as lots of guys hunt that. The moose down there move a lot. I would suggest getting a peak from the air first before you do it. And the most important part is do a test run at low tide so you can see the drop offs on the bank down there. If you go in at high tide you will come back and find your boat 20 ft out of the water and hopefully not on a cliff.

I have seen a few nice bulls down there but usually after moose season is closed. I have also seen some right at the opening of season but you will be competing with guys that have flown it the night before. That was what we did and guess where all the hunters were opening morning Right where we seen the bulls.

We left and flew it that night and the bulls had moved atleast 3 miles

Default Little su

I would not recommend trying to take the inlet around to the mouth of the little su. I have hunted moose at the mouth of the little su a couple of times. Your best bet would be to go from burma landing and then head to the mouth. It is only about an hour or so to get to the mouth. I will warn you. The mouth of the little su is controled by the tide. Plan on getting there at high tide and not leaving again till another high tide. There are some moose down there but you have to hike a ways and pack through alot of marsh. I shot a bull there about 4 years ago and had to pack it out 3 miles and about a mile of it was marsh. It kicked my @#%. We also had a grizz run right through our camp in the middle of the night becuase someone had to keep watch of the boat during the tide so we didn't lose it. That area near chickaloon is a good area but it is also heavily hunted, plus there is alot of private property there. There are moose on the little su but I think that there is not many bulls harvested there each year. I see alot of hunters running the river even with large ocean boats that they bring from the inlet with really tall towers so they can see over the trees. Pretty wild.

Default Little Su is busy

Little Su has been hit pretty hard the last few years w/the cow tag drawings. Tryed to float it a few times last year and I felt like we were in a parade w/so many people doing the same thing. The bears have really moved in the area as well, might be moving the moose out too.
    BK

Oh yeah. I forgot to mention the bears I know a guy that shot a 9fter at the mouth 3 years ago moose hunting.

On two different occasions I have got back to my boat and found bear tracks around it. FRESH too As when the tide went out they came down to look at my beached boat.

There are a few bear down the little su. Been seeing quite a bit of tracks the last couple years.

Mark

The Susitna Flats State Game Refuge is full of bears, both black and brown.