Thread: Engine lift needed

Default Engine lift needed

I've got a 18 foot grumman square-ender and need a lift so I can mount my 40 hp. Johnson. Any suggestions ?
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Default 40 hp

18 foot canoe with a 40 HP??? Or 4.0 HP?

You may also need a transparent hull to see where you are going. You put a 40hp outboard on that boat and the bow will be straight up in the air when you try to get going. What kind of lift are you thinking of? Are you looking for something adjustable as you run or a fixed riser that just allows you to mount the engine higher?

Don't think Grumman made an 18' square stern ... a 19' Grumman freighter will take a light 9.9 or 15 hp. A Klingel lift is the gold standard for the 19'er. The narrow stern of the Grumman won't support the weight of a 40 hp motor. Rethink your terms.

My 17' Grumman flies crazy fast with a 9.9 but should be OK for the 19' I suppose. My 5 hp is much better on the 17'.

Dang, guess I'll just have to haul the canoe on the riverboat and use it when I get where I want to be. I figured a 40hp would run upstream pretty good.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Quote Originally Posted by brav01 View Post
    I've got a 18 foot grumman square-ender and need a lift so I can mount my 40 hp. Johnson. Any suggestions ?

Film it and let us all see how it goes!
    Tim

the 40 hp will do just fine up all streams [ most anyway] after you get it going but getting going will be the problem as it will be on the bottom of the lake / rive / stream, an won't be able to start it as it will bee under water, an Grumman did not make a 18' SQ
    they made a 17' & 19 ' but who knows it could be, it is just that I have never have seen one in my travels but will keep looking

SID

Sid,

Your eternal pursuit of knowledge is most commendable...the 18' Sq back is out there somewhere...don't give up!!!

Default 40 Hp

If you'll snug that 40hp right in the nose of the canoe it would make real good ballast for going up river. 130 lbs sounds about right. That way you wouldn't have to use rocks, jugs of water, gear or lead weights etc, then use a 8 to 15hp on the stern. It'd be a way to get your 40 on the water.