Thread: Gonna try not to beat a dead horse but.....

Red face Gonna try not to beat a dead horse but.....

I really want a Marliln 45-70 Guide Lever action. I won't ask about the new ownership
    or the quality of rifles coming off the assembly line.
    But, my question is, in your opinion, (which after reading many posts here, I trust)
    will the quality improve due to the fact of the many returns or does
    the new manufacture just not care?
    Also, has anyone seen or heard that the quality has improved?
    I can be patient but, not for long..

Thanks from the new guy here. Joe

Welcome aboard Joe454! I would not worry about it much - you are likely pacing the floor worrying about a possble defect that probably won't happen. It seems that most gun nuts get a new gun - especially lever guns - and tinker with them anyways even if it is working fine. If ya get one that has a problem it more than likely can be fixed - anything mechanical can have issues. Heck we would never buy a car based on possble issues that all of them have.
    You may look around and buy a used one from somebody that is a gem also - either way I would go for it if'n ya got an itch that needs scratchen! I bought an XLR in 4570 a few years back and it works great - had a trigger job and larger lever put on and like others just tinkered a bit because I wanted to - not because it was not working correctly!
    Good Luck!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Good used is a better deal and even the full size rifle is handy in the brush if you don't fine a "guide?" model.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Thanks, After the "expensive" holiday period I will bite the bullet and give one a try. Also , am keeping my eyes open for used and so far, folks seem to be hanging on to them.
    But then again, also have my eye on a Ruger Super Redhawk so, we'll see which one get the bucks dropped on it.
    Joe

I've seen a few used ones around me and people are asking MORE than I can get a new one for, perhaps due to the change in quality? I don't own one but I always look at them cause I want one...

Joe454,

First off, if you want one you will keep wanting one until you go and get one. Next... if there are issues with it and it is under warranty, get it repaired by Marlin. I have a Marlin 1895 SBL Guide Gun because I WANTED one. Yes, my particular new rifle had some issues that needed to be corrected by the factory, but the issues were corrected in a timely manner, on their dime, and now I have a great rifle that I love firing. So, if you get a new Marlin 45-70 under warranty and it's jacked up, let them fix it and you'll have the rifle you want.

Here's another way to think about it...Have you ever been driving to visit someone important (friend, family, etc.) and you had to take a detour because of road conditions? You eventually got to your destination and you were happy, despite the fact that it took you a bit longer than you had originally planned. I took a detour to get to my destination and now I'm home...good stuff.

MyTime

Quote Originally Posted by MyTime View Post
    Joe454,

First off, if you want one you will keep wanting one until you go and get one. Next... if there are issues with it and it is under warranty, get it repaired by Marlin. I have a Marlin 1895 SBL Guide Gun because I WANTED one. Yes, my particular new rifle had some issues that needed to be corrected by the factory, but the issues were corrected in a timely manner, on their dime, and now I have a great rifle that I love firing. So, if you get a new Marlin 45-70 under warranty and it's jacked up, let them fix it and you'll have the rifle you want.

Here's another way to think about it...Have you ever been driving to visit someone important (friend, family, etc.) and you had to take a detour because of road conditions? You eventually got to your destination and you were happy, despite the fact that it took you a bit longer than you had originally planned. I took a detour to get to my destination and now I'm home...good stuff.

MyTime
    Agreed, I just hope its a straight and clear road....

Joe I think your concerns are well founded. I have two guide guns, one blued, one stainless. I bought the stainless in 2006 and liked it so well, I bought a blued in early 2010. I went to the marlin owners forum to do a little research and found out about the demise of Marlin, luckily the blued rifle was built by Marlin and is excellent like the stainless.

Another poster said he bought a Marlin a couple of years ago and it is good. That is because two years ago Marlin was still building their rifles in the North Haven plant and was before the buyout. I don't know if you have been to the marlinowners forum but there are so many horror stories over there, I would not buy a new rifle from Marlin. Many of them have had to send their rifles back 2 or 3 times and some of them never were made right. Dealers were reporting as much as 40 percent of the new stuff they were receiving from the factory was so bad they were rejecting it and sending it right back.

I recently examined a new stainless GG at my local dealer. The end cap on the magazine was solid red rust and the barrel was not indexed correctly because the front sight and magazine were off center. I don't think their quality will improve until the investment company that has bought a lot of gun manufacturers gets tired of losing money and gets out of the gun business. A few months ago they suspended production of most of the Marlin lever actions and I don't know what the result of that has been.

My recommendation is to look for a new rifle built by Marlin, there are still a few out there. I have seen a few at gunshows. Or look for a nice slightly used Marlin. Just make sure the barrel is stamped JM on the left side of the barrel about a inch in front of the receiver. If there is no JM stamp on the left side and a REMLIN stamp in a circle in the same place but on the right side, I would not buy it as it was not built by Marlin. There were even some barrels made and stamped at the North Haven plant that were used to build REMLIN rifles, so that stamp is not a good indicator either.

These rifles are not cheap and I think it would be heart breaking to buy a new rifle and it have serious flaws, would take all the fun out of it. So good luck in your search, the GG is a great rifle and you will be very pleased if you get a good one. It will be worth putting a little effort into your search. It seems a lot of these rifles were bought by people who did not realize they have a little recoil. After shooting a box through them they lost interest and got rid of them. A lot of guys seem to find new or like new rifles in small gun shops, pawn shops and places they did not expect to find them. Hope this helps.

If you are looking for a new one, you may be waiting a while. Remlin has suspended production on their levers and rumours are abound that they may never make any more. There is a long thread somewhere on this forum about it. Hopefully a company with the right skills will buy the lever tooling etc.
    Qualing at Remlin has been very patchy and this seems the reason for the suspension.
    Keep your eye out for a Marlin made in North Haven either new or used, not a Remlin.
    Personally I love my Guide Gun, it serves me well and is my AK go-to gun.

I sold mine. I was unhappy with the accuracy and how clunky it felt. I found out the factory had put the wrong sized front sight on. I got that fixed and was still not very happy with it. After I sold it I bought a Winchester 1886 and couldn't be happier. The Winchester is smoother, and more accurate. If you are sceptical about the Marlin, check out the Winchesters.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Stopped at a Dick's Sporting Goods yesterday, was at the gun counter and one of the salesmen said they had 8 new Marlin lever actions to send back because the rear sights were mounted off center !