Thread: 460 xvr

Default 460 xvr

Anyone on the forum have a S&W 460XVR and what are your impressions? Especially interested in any experiences hunting with this cartridge. Thanks.

"AND YE SHALL KNOW THE TRUTH AND THE TRUTH SHALL MAKE YOU FREE."

JOHN VIII - XXXII

I have a 460 XVR and 2 460Vs, I love them and a 460 with assorted ammo (45acp on clips in one, 45 Colt, 454, and 460 in all of them) is all I have hunted with since 2008. They are extremely versatile and I think the best hunting handgun Iíve found. Iíve been just about exclusively handgun hunting since about 1984 and used a lot of good handguns in that time and was surprised when I acutely fell in love with the heavy X-frame 460V.

I find I donít use the XVR much as my scoped 460V is just as accurate and packs a hole lot easer, I took an antelope with the XVR down in Arizona last year but havenít used it since. You loose some speed with the 5Ē 460V but there is plenty there still. If you like iron sights the XVR is more accurate because of sight radius other than that, inside 300 yards I see no advantage to the longer barrel. If you are pushing out past 300 then an XVR with scope and bipod would shine but I never shoot that far myself.

They are heavy as sin and donít put anything you want to keep near the cylinder gap but 460S&W is a dandy hunting gun.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Appreciate the input Andy; very good over view. I hadn't considered the 460V until after you mentioned it and then I ran across this article:
    http://www.biggamehunt.net/reviews/s...on-460v-review.
    The 460V appears to be more versatile. I am seriously thinking of purchasing a new revolver for handgun hunting big game, mainly for the challenge. Definitely will scope it with a Leupold, not decided whether fixed or variable.

I hear you on the weight, always a consideration and I have seen the graphic thumb damage photos. Have you handloaded the 460S&W magnum?

"AND YE SHALL KNOW THE TRUTH AND THE TRUTH SHALL MAKE YOU FREE."

JOHN VIII - XXXII

That is a good article there and Iíd not read it before, thanks.

Yea I hand load so I can afford to shoot the thing, got to have a good roll crimp die to stop bullet creep but they are easy to load as a 45 other than that.

Before I saw the thumb damage video I had put flame marks on the bed of my truck using it as a rest (still there) and then ruined a good bench bag, itĎs a fire breathing dragon.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona