Thread: Reboring a barrel

Default Reboring a barrel

A few months ago several of you sent your rifle to a company named something like SEC for reboring. I was wondering how the job turned out. Is the rifle accurate? Were there any problems? Or anything else about the experience that was less than great.

The reason for the questions is that last weekend at a local gun show, there were a number of older Reminton 700's in the price range of $350 to $375 for the asking price. Some were 30-06 and 270. I thought this might be a good way to make myself a 35 Whelen.
    NRA Life Member since 1974

Not going to get in on the SEC rebore job, but street price on a new CDL is about $700-800. When all is said and done, may be a break even job.
    http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/97019

While not up to Remington standards generally, I picked up a nice ruger hawkeye which has a 1/12 twist for heavier bullets NIB from a local shop for <$600.00

I think you are referring to JES reboring in Cottage Grove OR - I am about to give him a rebore job to do - he has an impeccable reputation from what I have been able to find - I don't know about that "not up to Remington standards" bit but he told me that he can do any barrel - he only bores 338 and bigger though (I'm gonna have a 338 WSM done) - all done not counting shipping which will be a factor in any job, it will cost me $250 for the bore and $50 for the new crown vs. $600 for a Douglas SS airgauge barrel in a match contour and chambered/fitted - If you were analyzing I would have to say that the Douglas barrel would be the better "risk" but being "me" I'm goin' with JES on this project (HECK, it's only money)

Quote Originally Posted by back country View Post
    I think you are referring to JES reboring in Cottage Grove OR - I am about to give him a rebore job to do - he has an impeccable reputation from what I have been able to find - I don't know about that "not up to Remington standards" bit but he told me that he can do any barrel - he only bores 338 and bigger though (I'm gonna have a 338 WSM done) - all done not counting shipping which will be a factor in any job, it will cost me $250 for the bore and $50 for the new crown vs. $600 for a Douglas SS airgauge barrel in a match contour and chambered/fitted - If you were analyzing I would have to say that the Douglas barrel would be the better "risk" but being "me" I'm goin' with JES on this project (HECK, it's only money)
    Sorry for the confusion. When I said "not up to remington standards" I was comparing the Ruger Hawkeye to the Remington CDL

Jesse at JES re-bored my model 94 to 35-30/30 and I couldn't be happier with it. It shoots great. He is a great guy to deal with and does excellent work. Mine was $225 (1-14 twist 3 groove) which included return shipping (but I don't live in AK) From the time I shipped it out until I had it back was 9 days. Here's a link to his site www.35caliber.com

IT&D will chamber, crown & install an air gauge Douglas SS barrel for $325. Makes a lot more financial sense than a rebore IMO. The only reason to rebore is if the barrel contour or markings make it difficult to duplicate, otherwise a new tube just makes sense.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Thanks for the recommendation. They have some good prices on installing customer supplied barrels and will do the square threads on Springfields and Enfields as well.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    IT&D will chamber, crown & install an air gauge Douglas SS barrel for &#177; $325. Makes a lot more financial sense than a rebore IMO. The only reason to rebore is if the barrel contour or markings make it difficult to duplicate, otherwise a new tube just makes sense.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

After all the talk about reboring I thought I would give it a try. Some good sense arguments now have me pricing a barrel instead.
    NRA Life Member since 1974

Quote Originally Posted by boliep View Post
    After all the talk about reboring I thought I would give it a try. Some good sense arguments now have me pricing a barrel instead.
    Sound judgement IMO. I've seen worthwhile rebores on some leveractions and on octagonal barrels, but otherwise it seems like peeing into the wind. Sure you can do it, but it can't be recommended...

Be sure to let us know how it works out.

1Cor15:19 - I was wondering on your earlier post about that price for the Douglas rebarrel, that $325 +/- included the cost of the barrel or just the work ? I've had one Douglas barrel in my life, back when I was about 25, in 7mm rem mag and it was the most accurate hunting rifle I've ever owned - the rest have been PacNor's and for the most part very good but nowadays I have lost all my "connections" for good deals so if I have to pay retail I'm goin' with a Douglas I think
    As for the JES rebore, I am working with the rifle right now and will start building loads this week or next but the bore job itself looks outstanding, 5 groove 338, BTW Jess cuts the rifling like HS Precision does

1Cor15:19 - I was wondering on your earlier post about that price for the Douglas rebarrel, that $325 +/- included the cost of the barrel or just the work ? I've had one Douglas barrel in my life, back when I was about 25, in 7mm rem mag and it was the most accurate hunting rifle I've ever owned - the rest have been PacNor's and for the most part very good but nowadays I have lost all my "connections" for good deals so if I have to pay retail I'm goin' with a Douglas I think
    As for the JES rebore, I am working with the rifle right now and will start building loads this week or next but the bore job itself looks outstanding, 5 groove 338, BTW Jess cuts the rifling like HS Precision does
    The price includes barrel, chambering and installation--shipping is extra.

Probably cheaper to just buy another rifle at a gun show or store and sell the old one. Wildcat or non popular calibers are hard to sell and I've gotten a lot of excellent buys on them.

Sporterized 03s can also be had at excellent prices especially if the bore is bad. A .35 Whelen on an 03 Springfield is a natural classic.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    The price includes barrel, chambering and installation--shipping is extra.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

1Cor15:19 - could you PM me the contact info for "your" gunsmith ? thank you !

1Cor15:19 - could you PM me the contact info for "your" gunsmith ? thank you !
    PM is sent.